///  SHNUP                                              ///
 \\\  System Shock 2 Interface Upgrade         \\\
 ///  Version 1.0                                         ///
 \\\                                                         \\\
 ///  Author:  Densei                                  ///
 \\\  Country: Ukraine                                 \\\
 ///  E-Mail:  yuriysv@rambler.ru                   ///
 \\\                                                        ///
  \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//\\                                               

DESCRIPTION:   
  This mod changes standard SS2 ingame interface into an alternate version.
  It DOES NOT change any buttons' functions or menu locations.
  It only changes the GRAPHICS of the interface. 

I aimed to create something more detailed and realistically looking than the original virtual-like interface. Hope it assimilates well in the atmosphere of the game.

INSTALLATION:
  1. Load with the ModManager.
  2. That's it! Enjoy!

COMPATABILITY:
  Shnup is fully compatible with any other mod that does not change the ingame interface (i.e. 90% of all mods out there).

DEVELOPMENT OF SHNUP:
Well, it took me approx. 20 hours to finish the work.
And most of the time it was very fun!

To create the graphics for the Shnup I used some graphic elements from my favorite game S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  Btw, I did NOT use any menus, buttons etc. from Stalker. So the interface is purely unique. I’ve put a lot of effort to finish this work and hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.
  The entire job was done with Photoshop CS2. No other programs were used. 

System Shock 2 (as long as SS1) really deserves to be taken good care of. Especially now, when game industry is in deep s...t.
Almost no more brilliant games :( And definitely no more System Shock.
So it is our responsibility to enhance the Games as much as possible.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 29. September 2017, 08:09:29 by Moderator »
Re: SS2: Shnup - System Shock 2 Interface Upgrade v 1.0
6627cb0eb8493
Thank you for your work Densai. I just put up the individual screenshots (instead of an archive). Makes it much easier for people to see what this is about.

6627cb0eb8612miracle.flame

6627cb0eb8665
I agree that this interface is designed for and really fits in postapo material like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Fallout. But SS2 is not postapo, this is sci-fi/cyberpunk maybe and although I love all those styles I see this as a mistake, it just doesn't fit in there. You know why? Because it of course is meant to be virtual-like. Because what Googles sees through his eyes is that virtual interface which IS virtual. He's surgically enhanced and pumped with implants that makes him see such things - virtual.

But this is just my point of view at this mod, I'm sure there are many who'd prefer this interface.
Acknowledged by: icemann

6627cb0eb8736Mr Rayford

6627cb0eb8783
I agree. It’s great for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but it's not sterile enough for SS2. The interface in SS2 is Goggle’s software. It doesn't make sense for it to look so dirty and ramshackle. The actual UI itself looks great, but it just doesn’t fit in with SS2 in my opinion.

6627cb0eb8869ZylonBane

6627cb0eb88b8
It's like a peanut butter and cinder block sandwich.

6627cb0eb8b90Rainalkar

6627cb0eb8be8
The quality of work is fine, but it doesn't fit the atmosphere for me. Something more plain, more computer-like and such would, I think, prove to be quite popular. For example, I would love to see a bluish like instead of a green original interface.

edit: btw, since you had expeirence with interface modding, I have a question if you perhaps know: I created new map icons for QBRMs, Power Stations, Security Stations, etc., and they show up quite nicely on the map, however, on the automap, they show up as green. I understand it has to have something to do with the palette the minimap is using, but I don't know what needs to be done to change that.
« Last Edit: 28. July 2008, 20:43:32 by Rainalkar »
6627cb0eb8d35
It's a shame that none of the interface options seem to support the more advanced (well, 'advanced') graphics features of dark, like tgas and animations, and that there isn't some way to redefine the click areas etc. That would really help with making interface mods, especially being able to use some of the tga transparency tricks.

Minimap.pcx is probably the file you need to find, Rainalkar, make sure it and the automap stuff all uses the same palette and it ought to work OK.

6627cb0eb8dc0Rainalkar

6627cb0eb8e10
I'll give it a try.
6627cb0eb8ede
I love it.

6627cb0eb8f72XenoSpyro

6627cb0eb8fbd
Necrololsting:

Why does MM report that SHNUP conflicts with SHTUP?

6627cb0eb9058ZylonBane

6627cb0eb90a5
Because SHTUP replaces a little bit of everything. That's why you should always install SHTUP first, then more specific mods on top of it.
6627cb0eb9417
Does anyone know the reason this mod is popping up everywhere in screenshots? To each is own (I think this interface looks horrible and completely inconsistent with the rest of the game) I guess, but for a first playthrough? Really?

6627cb0eb953bvoodoo47

6627cb0eb9592
you know, gotta catch them all.
6627cb0eb967b
Someone suggested it in a modding guide on some website. All the lemmings jumped.

6627cb0eb9703voodoo47

6627cb0eb9750
they always do.
6627cb0eb9d7c
Does look cool, but as already pointed out plenty of times, not suitable for Shock. I think a more suitable one would be great, but maybe not: vanilla one scaled down is just fine.

System Shock 2 (as long as SS1) really deserves to be taken good care of. Especially now, when game industry is in deep s...t.
Almost no more brilliant games :( And definitely no more System Shock.
So it is our responsibility to enhance the Games as much as possible.

I respect his motives too, but it's a damn shame it's just not suitable. Maybe he could spend another 20 hours in Photoshop making one that fits.

6627cb0eb9e71ZylonBane

6627cb0eb9ec1
The best interface is the one that the game comes with. It's supposed to look like a computer interface, not something physical.
6627cb0eba0f1
Someone suggested it in a modding guide on some website. All the lemmings jumped.
Maybe it's because the name contains "upgrade" and people blindly download and install it without looking.
6627cb0eba1ec
You got a point there. Upgrade sounds like "the same but better" but it really is a "re-imagining".
6627cb0eba373
Ha-ha, can't believe this mod is still alive. Thank you guys for all the comments! (Better late than never).
The name is misleading, for sure, and I'm truly sorry for that. Of course it should have been named "re-imagining" or smth like that (what was I thinking back than?).
The mod's name was a really bad choice. Totally agree.
Luckily, there are more consistent inventory mods now. This one is just a curiosity, so, thank you for keeping it!

6627cb0eba411voodoo47

6627cb0eba464
well, we got the peanut butter and cinder block sandwich out of it, if nothing else.
6627cb0eba546
We kept it mainly to make you feel embarrassed about it years later.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

The deck number where you shall meet Dr. Janice Polito:
1 Guest is here.
And you've been taking full advantage, haven't you?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6627cb0ebdb49