662ddc36e44f5

662ddc36e4a5d
2 Guests are here.

Topic: What Was SS2's Original Ending? Read 9329 times  

662ddc36e5370
The story, as I understand it, is the ending we got for SS2 was a slap-together because the resources for the actual ending got destroyed with no real way of recovering before final ship date.

So, does anyone know what the actual ending was supposed to have been? Has that information ever been released over the years?
662ddc36e55b6
No, it wasn't released in any way or form. IIRC the story that Levine related a few years ago was that there had been a misunderstanding with the guy who did the video work and they ran out of time and had to deal with the footage they had. I never heard that anything was destroyed.

While Levine was a creative genius at the time, I personally think the supposed alternative ending is a retro invention. Maybe he is embarassed about the often ridiculed ending of his master piece, although apart from the "nah!" I can't really see what's the problem with it. I like it.
While the ending of SS2 certainly was rushed, the ending video is actually too long, complex and specific to have been developed completely outside Levine's control and then recut with a different vision. Also they would have had time to fix it after the game had shipped, since it was clear they had to release a patch anyway (the v.2.3 patch), that would arrive at the same time the game hit the shelves. Finally Levine never related a word about what the other ending would have looked like, when he came up with this story years later. But that's just my personal conjecture, there exists no evidence for or against this alternative ending.
Acknowledged by: Scorpion
662ddc36e56d0
Had considered the idea the 'this wasn't what I wanted' was just excuse/handwaving.

Thanks for the input Kolya.

662ddc36e57caicemann

662ddc36e5814
Hope we get to see what happened after the ending video someday. We got a Fallout 3 after a large amount of time in between so you never know.
662ddc36e5904
Christine i think is the closest we'll come and frankly she does a bang up job.

662ddc36e5b13Briareos H

662ddc36e5b63
The final boss fight was supposed to take place in a matrix-like japanese dojo instead of what we have, it is possible that parts of a different ending cinematic were made in that dojo then abandoned when the level was scrapped, but there's no proof of that. The ridiculous "<fwooosh> nah." cinematic feels as rushed and underwhelming as the whole final part of the game, so I doubt it's only the ending video that they originally wanted to make different.
As for the Rebecca part of the cinematic, it's not great (What are Shodan's motives for revealing herself to Tommy, and probably killing him at that point? Wouldn't it be more efficient to wait until she's back on the VB? Why the hair thing?) but it at least sets up a sequel properly.
662ddc36e5cc1
Well Michael Ryan created a dojo mock-up, but it was rejected by Levine. That cannot be the alternative ending then.

662ddc36e60a0The Watcher

662ddc36e6160
Hope we get to see what happened after the ending video someday. We got a Fallout 3 after a large amount of time in between so you never know.
You should be careful what you wish for. Many old-school Fallout fans consider Fallout 3 and FO:NV to be wretched abominations that tore the heart out of the franchise and shat in the hole, and will merrily froth at length and in great detail about how Bethesda has betrayed the game's roots (I actually like FO3, but I can see why they feel that way) The probability that any Shock sequel would be developed by Irrational is now essentially zero, and even if they somehow managed it, the publishing environment is quite different to the world of 2000 - you only have to look at the Dead Space series to see the probable route any developer would be forced down by publishers (barring something like getting it kickstarted, I suppose).

It may be worth asking yourself which is more important to you: never finding out what Irrational planned to have happen after the end of SS2, but having the series 'end' at a high point; or to find out what a completely different developer (one working for a publisher interested only in safest-bet, widest possible mass-market appeal, dumbed-down slops to feed the gibbering hordes of trigger-happy twitch-festers) decides to turn it into. Honestly, without Levine heading it, and a publisher that doesn't insist on dumbing it down, the chances of something that doesn't suck happening are really, really small. It might happen, sure, but I wouldn't bet on it.

662ddc36e625fBriareos H

662ddc36e62b4
If there's one person to whom I would not hand System Shock 3, it's surely Ken Levine.

662ddc36e64abBriareos H

662ddc36e64f8
Only if the original cast of pipe hybrids and hoppers returns :oldman:

662ddc36e660ficemann

662ddc36e6666
I was a huge fan of Fallout 1 & 2 and I didn't have a problem at all with Fallout 3 or NV. It still felt like Fallout. Much how GTA 3 felt like GTA despite its change of perspective.

But then you have games like Syndicate (the new one) who don't feel at all like the games they are based on.

I like to try and keep an open mind prior to watching the developer videos or the playing of a demo.

I recall starting up the SS2 demo completely expecting to hate it due to its change of style and ended up liking that more than the original. All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

662ddc36e6aa6ZylonBane

662ddc36e6aff
Many old-school Fallout fans consider Fallout 3 and FO:NV to be wretched abominations...
Many Fallout fans are deranged lunatics who consider anything that isn't turn-based isometric to be an abomination.

As for the original SS2 ending, I've always assumed that it was intended to be essentially the same as what we got, just presented in a less silly manner.
662ddc36e6c66
How could this 'olololololol rebecca has shodan taking her body over' be presented better given technology and probable costs of the time.

662ddc36e6fc1ZylonBane

662ddc36e701f
How could this 'olololololol rebecca has shodan taking her body over' be presented better given technology and probable costs of the time.
WTF. We're talking about the "Nah!" moment. The Rebecca bit is fine.
662ddc36e7198
Strange. Most of the 'nah' sequence i was fine with It's the sudden no-forshadowing 'rebecca is shodan's new host' thing that made me go '...huh?'
662ddc36e7290
That's a classic horror film ending with a showdown where the hero destroys the villain and reinstates normality, then an epilogue where we see the villain survived surprisingly and unbeknownst to the hero.

662ddc36e73cdNameless Voice

662ddc36e741c
What Kolya said, only I was going to actually call it by its trope name, "The Stinger".

662ddc36e74beZylonBane

662ddc36e7516
Hand punches out of grave.
Roll credits.
662ddc36e760f
Man, I was looking for the trope name. Or I was going to...then it's all a haze of laughing nodding and clicking. Must have been hours ago.

662ddc36e76aaNameless Voice

662ddc36e76fc
Did you notice the 41 minute gap between your post and mine?  Warning, someone has replied since the post you are replying to...
662ddc36e7a00
If there's one person to whom I would not hand System Shock 3, it's surely Ken Levine.
I'd give it Levine, but I wouldn't give it to 2k. Bioshock sounded fine while IG was still independent.

Hypothetically I'd get Ken Levine and Chris Avellone to write the story, Brian Fargo to run the kickstarter, use CDPR's engine and art team and grab whoever it was who did the X-labs in Stalker as a level designer plus whatever originals are available.

Cleve Blakemore can supervise and provide feedback on what being a cyborg actually feels like.
662ddc36e7b35
Speaking of Blakemore, I played the Grimoire demo a bit. It's not my type of game, not even when the originals came out, but it does look very nice and like a real labour of love and I very much respect that. If I was stranded on a lonely island/Siberia/a nuclear fallout shelter with a laptop and no internet for a few years, that's the game I'd like to have with me.
2 Guests are here.
Residents gathered by the market stones. I recalled and missed you in your painted dress
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
662ddc36eb4df