664a1bcdf013e

664a1bcdf06fb
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SCP Error - squirrel.osm not loaded
Page: « 1 ... 3 [4]
Read 4978 times  

664a1bcdf0bcaGodzillaX8

664a1bcdf0c32
No shortcuts, launching directly from the exes in that folder.

Not sure if this would help at all but I can show any other folder you want to see also, and I can confirm the issue is not in the DMM folder because like I said I straight copy and pasted it to my fresh install and it worked like a charm.

664a1bcdf164avoodoo47

664a1bcdf16ca
ok, if we were giving out some kind of a weird thing of a decade award, you'd be getting it now.

time for a full dissection - copy the broken install somewhere, kill the SS2\data folder, zip everything that remains up (the resulting archive should have a very manageable size), upload it somewhere (ideally gdrive, but mediafire and similar will do as well), and post the link (as you are essentially sharing just the auxiliary files for the purpose of troubleshooting, this shouldn't be illegal).

//screenshot looking ok, thought the docs folder was missing, but it's there.
« Last Edit: 26. August 2020, 20:47:16 by voodoo47 »

664a1bcdf1837GodzillaX8

664a1bcdf18b2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t4q-Z0J7Zi9Bggt6Y2pfP0TnD_hRwwxP/view?usp=sharing

Here is the shattered corpse of my broken install, lol.  I excluded my FMs to keep the file size down as they shouldn't matter anyway.

664a1bcdf1a0fvoodoo47

664a1bcdf1a6e
yeah, should be good - got it, will dig in tomorrow, thanks.

also, the working GOG install is placed where exactly?

664a1bcdf1b0aGodzillaX8

664a1bcdf1b59
E:\System Shock 2 GOG, same drive just a different folder.

664a1bcdf22b8voodoo47

664a1bcdf2347
ok, extracted, dropped the data folder back in, edited cam.cfg just to change the resolution, activated SCP b4 via the manager.. aand everything works as it should. so it's not missing/corrupt data or files either. to recap, seems like that install;

-doesn't seem to be loading the scripts (squirrel at least, but hard to tell, as ss2.log is getting cut off for some reason)
-doesn't seem to process (extra) commands/vars from the config files (first_level does nothing, dbmod_load 10 does nothing)
-doesn't seem to load dmls

but only when SCP (b4) is active. the only thing I could maybe point my finger now at is that I see admin access icons on the executables on your screen capture, and maybe throw out just one last shot in the Dark - reboot the computer and make sure steam isn't running.

I guess we'll try to ask people to create another install in a slightly different location should something similar happen again.

adding the earth level with the blockers hard-edit removed, pop it into the SCP b4 folder, that will allow you to enter the level/game, and perhaps have some fun running around and seeing how broken things are.
[earth_noblock.7z expired]
664a1bcdf25bb
Has the fact that the game install path contains a space character already been addressed?
E:\SS2 New\
Theoretically this should be okay. But when confronted with weird bugs, I'd test that.

664a1bcdf267fvoodoo47

664a1bcdf26d3
seeing that E:\System Shock 2 GOG is fine, it's quite improbable, but no reason to not try, I suppose.

664a1bcdf2bdfatomicgasman213

664a1bcdf2c34
I want you to write a six page essay, en Espa`ñol, entitled "Atomicgasman213's Mistake".

{alt}

I love the picture! Six pages is a bit much, but I'll give you the following paragraph:

Yo, Atomicgasman213, cometí un gran error. Este error fue tan grande que costó la vida y el tiempo de Voodo47 y Kolya. Probablemente corrieron como gallinas con la cabeza cortada mientras trataban de encontrar la solución a mi problema, mientras que en realidad era yo quien era el problema. Olvidé tener en cuenta que mi firewall de trabajo, todo el tiempo, me impedía descargar los archivos que necesitaba para ejecutar correctamente la modificación SCP. Por esto, lo siento y pido disculpas.

664a1bcdf2d84voodoo47

664a1bcdf2dda
@GodzillaX8 just making sure - you did try with just SCP (and nothing else) active (and still got the squirrel error), right?

also, does renaming SS2 New to something else (say, System Shock 2 Steam) do anything?
« Last Edit: 27. August 2020, 19:37:36 by voodoo47 »

664a1bcdf3135GodzillaX8

664a1bcdf3186
@GodzillaX8 just making sure - you did try with just SCP (and nothing else) active (and still got the squirrel error), right?

also, does renaming SS2 New to something else (say, System Shock 2 Steam) do anything?

Yes, I tried that, and no renaming the folder does not help.

Since I can't legally send you my data folder, here are the files in it, just in case something got broken somehow.

res folder:

664a1bcdf3269voodoo47

664a1bcdf32ba
looking ok - I guess the universe wins this round. I'll probably still bug you should an idea pop up - I have to admit this really irks me.
Acknowledged by: GodzillaX8
664a1bcdf36ad
I love the picture! Six pages is a bit much, but I'll give you the following paragraph:

Yo, Atomicgasman213, cometí un gran error. Este error fue tan grande que costó la vida y el tiempo de Voodo47 y Kolya. Probablemente corrieron como gallinas con la cabeza cortada mientras trataban de encontrar la solución a mi problema, mientras que en realidad era yo quien era el problema. Olvidé tener en cuenta que mi firewall de trabajo, todo el tiempo, me impedía descargar los archivos que necesitaba para ejecutar correctamente la modificación SCP. Por esto, lo siento y pido disculpas.

Esta disculpa es aceptable. However what's not acceptable is that you apparently never watched Community where Chang (depicted) is a Spanish teacher at a community college.
Acknowledged by: atomicgasman213

664a1bcdf3757voodoo47

664a1bcdf37a1
@GodzillaX8 did you try to disable your AV software?

664a1bcdf3832GodzillaX8

664a1bcdf387b
I don't run any third party AV, just the built-in Microsoft security stuff.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

664a1bcdf3927voodoo47

664a1bcdf396f
@GodzillaX8 have you tried running as admin? I did comment that the executables have the icon, but didn't ask directly, it seems.

664a1bcdf3a39voodoo47

664a1bcdf3a84
@GodzillaX8 try this - go \SS2\patch_ext\, and delete (back up first) the gamesys.dml file.

664a1bcdf3bc2ZylonBane

664a1bcdf3c64
I wonder why SCP only seems to have trouble with Squirrel, but not NVScript. Maybe because SCP includes its own copy of NVScript, but relies on Squirrel already existing.

664a1bcdf3d51voodoo47

664a1bcdf3dc3
copying the squirrel file to the SCP folder has been tried. no change.

but not arguing this is bonkers, remember;
-it's just squirrel
-it's just SCP
-it's just (that) one particular SS2 install
1 Guest is here.
the Japanese term 'doki doki' expresses the thumping heartbeat of excitement
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a1bcdf3ec9