🔒 Pixelated light / shadow issue (SS2 on olddark)

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/3▶▶
6649fc4037934
vorobQuote
So I've got retro laptop for retro games, and I play System Shock 2 2.3 without newdark or anything else, complete vanilla. The laptop have geforce 5600fx, os is XP (but I've tried 98 too). The problem is that I saw pixelated light \ shadow while was sitting in the corner. Now i see these pixels everywhere. I can't unsee it :( I rushed to test Thief II and didn't saw this. At least it is not so obvious.

My main question - is it normal? What's the story behind it?

If it's important, i didn't install game on this machine, i've copied it from another computer.

Also i've tried game on another retro laptop, with ati x1900, and saw pixels there too.

In cam.cfg i noticed these two lines:

game_hardware 1
d3d_driver_index 0

What's their purpose here? When I changed them the banding / pixelate issue got even worse.
[26FDD403-8185-42C9-8107-BFBFD4D8F15F.jpeg expired]
6649fc4037ae0
voodoo47Quote
they are not to be touched, iirc. oldDark mileage may vary on a non-3Dfx card, a bit of blockiness wouldn't be the worst thing that can happen.

that machine really should be running ND, imho.
6649fc4037bf4
ZylonBaneQuote
You're running a display driver that doesn't do 16-bit dithering.
6649fc4037cb3
vorobQuote
I do have dithering :) That’s the purpose of these retro laptops for me. Thief II looks perfect. More then this, I see dithering pattern in these pixels in ss2 🤣
6649fc4037db3
vorobQuote
I’ve been comparing old dark with new dark and I think it maybe location related. But I don’t have save for hydroponic level on new dark  and don’t wanna play right now. I’ve tried googlong but didn’t find level skip command or map load function. How can I get to hydroponics fast?

Nevermind, saves from olddark work in newdark.
Page: 1/3▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact