🔒 Rebuilding an old PC for SS1 with Gravis Ultrasound

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/4▶▶
6649f9b6ebafc
FruityFrankQuote
Hi there,

I'm in the process of building an old PC for playing 90s games, mainly SS1 and watching old demoscene goodness.
So i got myself a Pentium 200MMX and I still have my SS1 installation CD. So far so good,  but what I can't remeber is, how I got my Gravis Ultrasound to work with SS1 back in the days. You can't select that card in the SS1 setup tool, but there is a batch-file shockgus.bat that prepares the card for SS1. But does anyone remember the exact process of selecting GUS für SS1?

Just to be clear: I'm not interested in mods or dosbox and gog versions or emulations, ... just plain vanilla ss1 (cd version) on real old hardware and a crt :)

many thanks in advance

got it to work by getting the "Audio Interface Libraries 3.0 (AIL 3.0) V3.11" from here:

http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files/game_utils/USAIL311.ZIP

Instructions are inside. I replaced the sb16 and the mpu401 sounddriver in the system shock install directory with then ones from that zip. Then I chose soundblaster16 and General Midi as sound and midi cards in the system shock sound setup tool.
Autodetect worked. Don't run the shockgus.bat, it will break things.
6649f9b6ebc7a
CreamyQuote
Don't forget a VFX-1 headset!
6649f9b6ebd39
FruityFrankQuote
i actually have one, but lacking the interface card :<
6649f9b6ebe64
GawainQuote
It may work with first GUS cards. I didn't get it to work with my GUS PNP.
You can take a look at this topic.
It is about DosBox but the files may be right or give you ideas where to look.
6649f9b6ec10f
FruityFrankQuote
Gawainhmmm, whats the missing link here ... I had SS1 running on a gus in the mid 90s, and all I was able to do back then was to fiddle around with some config files. How the heck did I get it to work back then  :thinking:
Is it possible that the SS1 floppy version included GUS support and I maybe managed to somewhat copy it over to the cd version?
Page: 1/4▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact