🔒 How would I get started with SS2?

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/4▶▶
6649f52b74fc0
ModdedInstall2Quote
Hi all,

I'm new to the System Shock games. I've tried starting SS2 many times because I've heard it's an incredible game, but I can't ever find myself able to get more than half an hour into it. I have a hard time getting past the endless enemy respawning and funky physics. Any advice?
6649f52b7510d
voodoo47Quote
that would suggest alarm is being triggered. so just don't do that.

physics are what they are.
6649f52b75471
MarvinQuote
If a timer runs down at the bottom of the screen and the music goes haywire, you triggered an alarm and should activate the nearest security computer you can find to cancel the alarm.

There's this short newbie guide: http://www.shtupmod.net/newbies_guide.html

... and of course a truckload of Let's Plays, some Steam guides, and so on. If you google "system shock 2 for beginners" you should find whatever resource you are looking for, such as an introductory walkthrough of the first level or something like that which could ease you into the game.

If you have any specific questions, just ask away. The character creation and initial stats distribution is a bit daunting for some players, and there is the possibility for trap builds, but it's not too bad overall. Lowering the difficulty is also always possible.
6649f52b7550e
ModdedInstall2Quote
Thanks guys :)
6649f52b75663
voodoo47Quote
might as well add this - for an easier start, go marine, and choose the leftmost career path always, you will end up with extra strength that will allow you to bash things with the wrench more effectively, a free laspistol that, while weak, only needs to be charged to fire, so it's almost free to operate (and the overcharge mode may deplete the battery quickly, but it is powerful enough to take out even the first big droids with relative ease), and some maintenance skill to keep it going. upgrade the maintenance skill asap to at least 2 (ideally 3) to actually be able to maintain it properly (at skill level 1 the fairly rare maintenance tools are very ineffective), then hack to (at least) 2 to get into the seccrates. research 1 to research monster organs and maximize the damage dealt, standard weapons 3 to fire the shotgun, Sharpshooter OS upgrade to get even more kick out of your guns. maybe modify 2 to get the laspistol to level 1 modification level, so that once you find the first auto-mod epstein tool you will be able to get it to modlevel 2.

doing this will make medsci and (especially) engineering a much less painful experience.
Page: 1/4▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact