66564701c2aed

66564701c30f0
1 Guest is here.

Topic: "System Shock 2 has stopped working" Read 11459 times  

66564701c378a
Last night I got the HOTU version of ss2 working on my vista home premium machine.  I followed this guide, installed rebirth and shtup, and it worked great.  This morning, however, I boot up my machine, try to load up ss2 and it crashes on startup.  My guess is that rebooting must have reset some of the things I changed.  Anyone know what might have gone wrong?  I'm pretty sure a reinstall would work, but I really don't want to have to reinstall this game every time I want to play.

Thanks for your help.
66564701c39a9
Where exactly did it crash and did you get any error messages? What fixes did you apply beforehand, eg from the SS2 Tool?
66564701c3afc
from the ss2 tool, I merged the crf files, and did the video resolution and bug fixes.  I then installed rebirth and shtup (I had to manually install shtup because the mod manager wouldn't work for me for some reason).  The game then played fine for a couple hours, and then I rebooted.  Now, when I try to run the game, I just get a 'System Shock 2 has stopped working' message.  I can't get into the game at all.
66564701c3cc0
I'm not on Vista but here's a few things to check:

Try turning off DEP
Log on to Windows Vista with a user account with administrator rights, and then right click on Command Prompt icon and select “Run as Administrator". Then execute the following command:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

This is just to check if the Data Execution Prevention prevents SS2 from running. So check if it runs now, then turn DEP back on:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Replace shock2.exe
Download and copy the attached shock2.exe into your game directory, overwriting the one from the SS2 Tool. The one I attached is just the shock2.exe from the HOTU distribution, so if you still have the HOTU archive you can use that.
« Last Edit: 26. August 2008, 17:07:02 by Kolya »
66564701c3e2d
Alright, I tried turning off DEP and replacing shock2.exe, but neither of those worked.  I then reinstalled ss2, and  it worked. I rebooted, and it worked again.  I installed the rebirth mod, and it worked, but the wrench was missing (wrench model wasn't there, attacking made a swinging sound, but didn't damage enemies)  A google search told me to move all the .crf files to a folder called 'res' to fix this, but then I got the same 'System Shock 2 has stopped working' message.

So apparently it's a problem with Rebirth that causes my game to crash.

I had moved the .crf files on my first installation of the game as part of the instructions to make ss2 mod ready, and the wrench worked fine then, so maybe that's not all there is to the problem?
66564701c3fc5
Alright, if you read what the SS2 Tool does, you will notice it moves the CRF files (after merging them). This is a necessary part of making the game mod ready. And that's why your wrench was missing, when you didn't do it.
I think what went wrong here is that due to you not being able to install the modmanager your install.cfg file was never updated and SS2 couldn't find the resources.
I suggest you start over (yes, one more time), extract HOTU's version, let the audio unpacker do it's job, then start the SS2 Tool. Choose "Getting Mod Ready" completely (with both subfeatures) and anything you need/want from the bug fixes section.

You may also want to try the pevious version of the modmanager (SS2MM_1.10_Beta_Build_0.0.3.39.7z) that works better for many people.
SS2: Re: "System Shock 2 has stopped working"
66564701c41a8
Hi, Sorry if im retarded but i cant figure out how to make a new post? I have recently installed HOTU ss2. I install it and then run SS2Tool_v2.6.exe installing all options except for patch and widescreen. i then run the game, get to menu screen, click newgame, start game then crash with message:

"System Shock 2 has stopped working"

It also does that if i click intro on the main menu. I assume its trying to play clip at the point its crashing?? any tips or suggestions?

I am running it as admin under vista, UAC off

PS. Freakin awesome site. ss2 greatest game ever. havnt played since it came out!
66564701c430b
Check if it's a video problem by renaming the file LGVID.AX in the game dir.

You can create a new thread by clicking "Start new topic" in the top right of the forum view. Unless you're in one of the archive forums.
But this is Shock Helpdesk, so it should work.
66564701c4433
Hi Kolya, Yes i was retarded but thanks for blowing past that bit. But it does appear as though it was a video problem as I can now get into the game and went through training and career into main game ok. You are a gentleman and a scholar, Thankyou very much. Ill check out some more troubleshooting and see if i can get vids going too! will now be loading up shtup and rebirth. Off to play some coop with my bro over hamachi!

66564701c452cTrithne

66564701c457e
Bump!

I'm getting a new problem in SS2 I've never encountered before. The game freezes, rather quickly. Starting a new game, I got to the advanced training room before the game froze, looping sound, etc. Tried again, got through training, up the ladder, then it froze, same deal.

Patched SS2, using ADaoB 0.2.8, Rebirth Beta 1 (Complemented), SHTUP 6, and a couple of cosmetic mods (Psiamp and no camera bleeps). I've never had issues with SS2 for years until now, on any computers including this one.

Comp: Intel Core2Duo 3.0GHz (SS2 is running with forced affinity to just one core). 2GB DDR2, GeForce 8800GT 512MB. Using the HotU version.

66564701c461aTrithne

66564701c4666
Damnit, I should register just for the edit function. But lazy Trith is lazy.

Running Windows XP Professional SP2.
66564701c47a7
How are you forcing the single core affinity? Because that's the typical multicore-syndrome. SS2Tool has a fix, tried that?

66564701c4868Trithne

66564701c48b5
Using some program I found ages ago that can be used to set up batch scripts to run a program on a specific core. I'll give SS2Tool a try and see if it fixes the issue.

66564701c494dTrithne

66564701c499e
Yep, that seems to have done it. Plus all the other niceties like widescreen. Many thanks Kolya.

66564701c4b27The black devil

66564701c4b78
I have exactly the same problem but with me its whenever I either try to load a game after dying (Sometimes)
or continuing gameplay after saving (Most of the time). Such a pain and I think its some of my mods.
66564701c4c5a
Considering the posts you made in the last few days I'm pretty sure it's a PEBCAK.

66564701c4d12The black devil

66564701c4d65
Hello again. It's been a few days since that post and my SS2 has been running fine and the occurences of
that problem has lessened but not after installed the Alya mod (replacing UARMM), I decided to start a new game but
unfortunately the game keeps stopping whenever I try that.

66564701c4e33The black devil

66564701c4e81
Okay, so it seems I'm just seeking attention but I hardly see the logic of doing it
in a help forum! Anyway, I reinstalled my SS2 and tried to start a new game but it keeps having the
"System Shock 2 has stopped working" error and it keeps happening even after I installed the SS2 Tool!

Further more, whats a PEBCAK!?
66564701c5114
The black devil: Your operating system, processor type, your graphics card and your SS2 version please. If it's a download, where did you get it.

66564701c51d3The black devil

66564701c5222
OS: Vista (Using the Dark Engine Fix for the hyperthreading thingy or whatever)
Dual-core processor
Graphics card: GMA 950

Got the HOTU version from:
http://www.cda.pl/gry/systemshock2.php
66564701c5330
Are you sure this is the HOTU version? Where does the information come from? It doesn't say so on the site anyway.
Did you follow the procedure for the HOTU version on the SS2Tool page?

66564701c53cdThe black devil

66564701c5418
I'm positive of the version and I've followed the exact instructions but still no luck!

It appears my computer doesn't like the game anymore.
1 Guest is here.
character only stands half as tall as most rooms
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66564701c556d