664a683a69c04

664a683a6a0a1
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Mod problems Read 2944 times  

664a683a6a490OnyxPaladin

664a683a6a50b
I am having a couple of issues with the ss2 mods i have installed. First i was under the impression that the redux graphics pack would work with SHTUP, but ss2mm tells me that it conflicts with both redux and the sky resolution fix. I also am told that the deep fried beer sound uprgade conflicts with redux.
Finally, i noticed i am getting the seemingly infamous pink water bug. I was under the impression that the redux mod fixed this with ADAOB, so i dled the standalone version of ADAOB, and i am told it conflicts with redux (not really surprising if the former is true). Just fyi i installed all mods by changing them into ss2mod files. Any and all advice on what to do would be appreciated, it seemed this was a better place to post these questions than TTLG.
Thanks in advance..

edit: Loaded the game up tonight, this time the water was yellow (felt like i was walking through urine), is this normal?
« Last Edit: 29. August 2006, 05:49:09 by OnyxPaladin »
664a683a6a836
Uh, okay, time to clear something up about the modmanager's conflict check: It occurs if files from the mod you want to activate overlap with previously activated mods.
Now there are files in mods that may be overwritten without harm while others are essential. Since the modmanager doesn't say which files are causing the conflict it's time for some sophisticated guessing.
The order is:
Activated mod + New mod to activate that might cause a conflict

1. Sky resolution fix + SHTUP
Forget the Sky resolution fix! Turn it off and never on again. It's an old remnant and the sky installed with SHTUP looks much better anyway.
2. SHTUP + Arcaniac True Redux Graphics Pack
Certainly works fine despite the conflict. Generally SHTUP will be forgiving when some of it's files are being overwritten. As a pure texture replacement it can't stop working anyway.
3. Arcaniac True Redux Graphics Pack + DFB's Sound upgrade
As the name says, the latter only upgrades sounds. So if you like DFB's sounds better, go ahead.

Pink water: Arcaniac's True Redux Graphics Pack contains a now obsolete buggy version of ADAOB that had pink colored water and some lighting errors. These bugs therefor show in Arcaniac's mod. I think he mentions that in the readme too.

Yellow water: Never heard about that before. You might want to deactivate all mods and use the modmanager's cleanUp feature via [Tools-->CleanUp]. Then activate mods step by step to find out what's causing this.

664a683a6a931OnyxPaladin

664a683a6a97d
Thank you for the prompt reply, and i apologize if i made a fool of myself.

edit: I did as you suggested (cleanup and step by step activation) and have found that your loading screen mod(which i like btw) coupled with the redux graphics pack is what is causing the yellow water. I am not sure if this is limited to my comp or not. but i deactived all other mods except those two and the yellow water persisted.

edit #2: the newest version of ADAOB fixes the the yellow water..oddity.
« Last Edit: 30. August 2006, 05:23:13 by OnyxPaladin »
664a683a6aace
I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't just seen it myself! But the loading screen mod really colors the pink water yellow. :lol:
Still this is just an odd sideeffect of the bug that originated in the older version of ADAOB and got carried over into Arcaniac's mod.
The loading screen mod actually does nothing to the levels and it works fine with the original game and the fixed ADAOB version as well.

Straylight (ADAOB author) told me that one of his ressource files was damaged and caused the pink water bug. Why the game would look for interface pictures to determine the water color is beyond me though.

664a683a6ab8eOnyxPaladin

664a683a6abd8
Indeed, the loading screen mod is the last one i used in trying to recreate the yellow. I figured there was no way that could have caused. Strange, but certainly good for a laugh.

664a683a6acedOnyxPaladin

664a683a6ad37
Found another problem tonight (lucky me...), apparently ADAOB doesn't get along too well with the Redux Graphics pack version of Hi-Torque's med/sci changes. The problem is that instead of the lovely transparent doors they are replaced simply by black textures where the doors should be. This is a rather serious problem because the doors will also no longer automatically open.
Also the small armory in which you can get a shotgun and emp rifle is gone.

I found that activating Redux after activating ADAOB fixes this error, but i am unsure if there are any consequences to it.

Also when i try to do a clean up with ss2mm i get the message "cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk". Is this because i deleted the zip files i downloaded to install the mods?
664a683a6b23e
It's not surprising that ADAOB and Arcaniac's Redux aren't compatible. They both change the gameplay, object references made in Arcaniac's mod are non-existent in ADAOB and vice versa.
You'd be better off to use only one of these mods.

Also when i try to do a clean up with ss2mm i get the message "cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk". Is this because i deleted the zip files i downloaded to install the mods?
When loading mods into the mod manager they get copied to Sshock2\SS2MM\MODS\. Deleting the downloaded zip-archives is no problem after that.
The error message you got is because ADAOB and Arcaniac's overwrote their overlapping files. So the mod manager tries to delete two files where there's only one.

From the SS2 Technical FAQ:
Troubleshooting
Zombe's Mod Manager may sometimes get confused. If this seems to be the case, deactivate all Mods within Zombe's Mod Manager, then search your shock2 installation folder for any files of the form *.ss2mmbak. Delete all of them. After that reactivate the Mods you wish to use. Alternatively: Use the CleanUp feature via [Tools-->CleanUp].

I guess this should (also) be in the description for Zombe's Modmanager. I'll copy it there.
« Last Edit: 17. February 2008, 21:52:24 by Kolya »

664a683a6b553OnyxPaladin

664a683a6b5a9
It's not surprising that ADAOB and Arcaniac's Redux aren't compatible. They both change the gameplay, object references made in Arcaniac's mod are non-existent in ADAOB and vice versa.
You'd be better off to use only one of these mods.

Indeed, that's one of the strange things though. I have had no problems other than in medsci.
664a683a6b6a3
The two ADAOB versions aren't so different and Arcaniac probably didn't make changes to it past MedSci.

664a683a6b731OnyxPaladin

664a683a6b77a
I am currently on ops deck, do you think it would be unsafe to use both mods?
664a683a6b8af
You can always try things and revert to an older save game.
Though generally mixing or exchanging mods that include gameplay modifications they won't add up but rather both mods will work incorrectly or not at all. And while it may seem at first that things work fine, bugs can still show when backtracking to previously played levels.
As I said, you're better off using only one of these mods. Save the other for your next game.

1 Guest is here.
“I just locked an open door… strange, yet symbolically compelling.” - Manny
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a683a6b99e