664a4e6f844f4

664a4e6f84a1b
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Object Palette Read 2519 times  

664a4e6f84ea7MaususAtlas

664a4e6f84f1b
Hi all,

I am making some new textures for walls and it is very easy with the Bright program, created by "Erik de Neve", to make your own new textures compatible with the original palette ones using the "full.pcx" file contained in the current directiry. :biggrin:

But, yesterday, I tried to modify an object texture in the "OBJ/txt" directory and not in "FAM/...". My first surprise was to not find the "full.pcx" file ! The second was the crash of the game if I modified any pcx file here. :weird:

I am sure that it is a palette problem, but I did not found a way to make my new textures compatible with the others here ... As you can see, as usual, I need help once again :lol:
« Last Edit: 26. April 2007, 07:16:03 by MaususAtlas »

664a4e6f852bfZylonBane

664a4e6f85316
I am sure that it is a palette problem
It's not. You probably saved the PCX file in the wrong format.

664a4e6f85441Nameless Voice

664a4e6f85497
Any modified textures should go in Obj/txt16 - not Obj/txt - otherwise it won't use the correct palette.

664a4e6f855d8MaususAtlas

664a4e6f85623
Oups, you are right : it is in the "OBJ/txt16" directory :sly:

But that does not solve the problem. My game crashes when I load the "Command" map. Then my questions are :

- Who had to change object texture in the past ?
 - How did he do it to avoid crashes ?
 - What was the file he used to make its pcx files compartible ?

I really do not understand why it is always happens to me ? :'(
664a4e6f85813
Try to search shockgen for "command" in threadtitles.
Or maybe ZB can explain this, he fixed this bug in SHTUP. It's an image that's named "comn" or something like that and windows sometimes crashes when it's accessed. Maybe have a look into SHTUP and see how he did it?

664a4e6f85901ZylonBane

664a4e6f8594b
There's a door on the Command deck that uses a texture named "COM8.PCX". This crashes Windows 2000 and above because it thinks you're trying to access COM port 8. SS2 was developed under Windows 95/98, which only supports COM1 and COM2 (I think), so this error never would have occured back then.

On a default install of SS2 the request for COM8.PCX goes directly to the CRF file. But on a mod-ready install SS2 looks for assets in the local file system first, triggering the crash.

664a4e6f85a9fMaususAtlas

664a4e6f85aea
Hmmm,

I really do not understand the "com8" explaination ... Were is the link between an image file and the com 8 port ? ... No matter ... All, I know is that : The game never crashes if I do not modify any textrure in the "Obj/txt16" directory. Otherwise, the game crashes during the command level loading. Once again, I'm sure that I missed something important :scratch:

I also had a look to the SHTUP site and forum but I did not see any trouble about the texture modification in the "OBJ/txt16" directory. It's seems that I am the only one who have this problem :'(

Thanks for replies, if you have any new suggestions, you are welcome :biggrin:

664a4e6f85c3dNameless Voice

664a4e6f85c89
*Sigh*

System Shock 2 is trying to access a file named Com8.pcx.
Any attempt to access a file named Com#, where # is a number, will instead try to directly access a com port rather than a file.
Windows 95/98, under which SS2 was created, did not support com ports numbered as high as 8, so the problem did not occur there - though it would have, if they had named the file Com2.pcx.

When the game is not mod-ready, the file is read straight from the .crf, and since that is a zipfile, it doesn't use the standard Windows file system and causes no problems.
IIRC, SSHTUP fixed this by changing the name of the texture used by the model in question.
Do a search for Com8.pcx on TTLG.
Or read this thread: SS2 crashes while loading deck6.

664a4e6f85deeMaususAtlas

664a4e6f85e3b
Hmmm, sorry for the "sigh" I made, but I am a new SShock2 modder and I do not understand all the first time. Peraph slepping more than four hours by night can help me ... :lol:

Otherwise, I now understand the "Com6-8.pcx" file explaination by reading the "TTLG" link you gave to me : Thanks a lot for this. Now, I'll try to see how "SSHTUP" creators have bypass the problem to make my game be more stable. 8)

If I found a way to do it, I'll write it here latter ... That's can be usefull for the other modders ;)

Thanks all for your help ...

664a4e6f85fb0MaususAtlas

664a4e6f86002
Ok, as I just told you this morning, I made a "zip" file that contains only the files to fix the "Deck 6 bug".

I send it to "Nameless Voice" and "Kolya" to see if all is right with this patch ... I hope that all is right because it can be usefull for all the modders :lol:

And now, I am happy because my game does not crash when I load the command map with my new textures ... great :proud:

Thanks all for your help. I appreciate it !
1 Guest is here.
stairs or slide?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a4e6f860fb