6649fc2149a26

6649fc2149f08
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSPortable on Linux? Read 1043 times  

6649fc214a3e9
There is a Linux version of Dosbox. SSP.exe is not a dos program however, so I can't run it through Dosbox itself (odd considering the GUI it uses, but that's besides the point). I can however run SSP through Wine. Except then of course I can't make SSP launch the game, because the Linux Dosbox has nothing to do with Wine.

I suppose I could also try to install the Windows version of Dosbox in Wine (WineAppDB does say it works), but using an emulator on top of Wine to run a game seems a bit..  :what:

There has to be a simpler way to get this done right?
6649fc214a651
Try to copy the linux version of dosbox to SSP/RES/dosbox and start it there. Should work.
To enable the mouselook mod copy the 7zip archive from RES/mods to RES and extract it there. I don't quite remember the names and can't check it here, but it should all be easy enough to find.
6649fc214a7ab
Hey, that was surprisingly easy. I didn't think SSP.exe could effectively be bypassed. Thanks. :)

I don't think Linux Dosbox' location can be moved as easily after installation, but there's really no need for it. I simply mounted the ss1 folder location to a drive within Dosbox.
« Last Edit: 04. June 2013, 20:31:52 by Tricky »
6649fc214a978
Well, glad it works.  :)
SSP.exe is just a launcher and mini mod manager written as a batch file and compiled as a windows executable. That's why it won't run in DOS. You can find the original batch in RES/ssp/src (or somesuch). And you can use that batch in place of SSP.exe. Then you could run it inside dosbox. Starting System Shock that way is probably not recommended though as it would start dosbox from within dosbox. But you could use the options etc. I compiled SSP into an exe because it was the only way to set some memory options for VDMS.
6649fc214ab17
Ah, so that's why. I just thought you did it to make Dosbox a little more accessible for us. It works both ways I guess. :)

Anyway, with the accomplishments of the last few days I felt like taking a little victory screenshot, if only to prove your solution in this thread works. Dosbox and Wine, running SS1 and SS2 next to each other. Together at last.  :proud:

Image: http://i.imgur.com/g5ktm6s.png
6649fc214c71c
definitely a better love story than twilight
6649fc214c8d0
Now we need ultima underworld to make it a three generation family gathering.
6649fc214cbb3
Now we need ultima underworld to make it a three generation family gathering.
Three is a crowd..

Image: http://i.imgur.com/RWbH4r6.png

.. on my little screen anyway.  O_o
6649fc214ccf0
....It's probably too much to ask for bioshock. So I'll shut up now.

Fun little group that is. Oddly sentemental feeling.
6649fc214ce45
Hmhm. That could easily work in theory, as Bioshock gets a platinum rating on WineAppDB. Sadly my computer is a bit too old to try that. But to be perfectly honest, I've never considered Bioshock much of a 'spiritual successor' to SystemShock, aside from the bloody graffiti and audiologs everywhere. The original Deadspace was a much closer shot at that.
« Last Edit: 05. June 2013, 07:19:40 by Tricky »
1 Guest is here.
on a dreamy day, I am drifting around
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6649fc214cf20