664a02aa1f248

664a02aa1f70c
1 Guest is here.

Topic: ACC 400 mod graphics issue (wine?) Read 952 times  

664a02aa200f0
that is the correct way.

I got myself to install SS2 again, since I'm on holiday and SS2 was on Steam Sale I just bought it so I don't have to wait on my CDs. I installed the steam version, copied SS2Tool to the correct folder, made the clean install, copied several of the recommended mods into the BMM folder and extracted them there. I kept the same order as Kolya in the "Newbie Modding Guide". Everything works fine when I'm not activating AccFam_18. Inside AccFam_18 there is also the extracted contents of the obj_400_SCP_1.01.7z (I merged the folders). When activating AccFam_18 in the Modmanager I get blinking, strange textures in the beginning, after the grav shaft. (in front of the truck, inside the sushi bar).
I did not use the removedcontent. Did I understand correctly how to install the 400mod?

Edit: Yes, I know, Program Files and so on, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. OS is Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, (Ubuntu 14.04)
[BMMFolder_ohneVurt.png expired]
[bmm_withoutVurt.png expired]
« Last Edit: 08. January 2016, 14:37:21 by Colonel SFF »

664a02aa20249voodoo47

Re: ACC 400 mod graphics issue (wine)
664a02aa20295
it should be installed properly as far as I can tell - if it wouldn't be, no textures would be updated. ACC pack uses some mtl effects on part of the textures, it might be possible that those have problems because of wine/gpu driver - while I did try running SS2 under linux a couple of times, I never tried the 400 mod in particular. maybe I'll check later.

anyway, try giving 400 greater priority than SHTUP.
« Last Edit: 27. December 2015, 13:33:36 by voodoo47 »
664a02aa20585
it should be installed properly as far as I can tell - if it wouldn't be, no textures would be updated. ACC pack uses some mtl effects on part of the textures, it might be possible that those have problems because of wine/gpu driver - while I did try running SS2 under linux a couple of times, I never tried the 400 mod in particular. maybe I'll check later.

anyway, try giving 400 greater priority than SHTUP.

Thanks for giving the question its own topic. I wanted to post a few screenshots of the affected textures (they flicker), but I'm on my way to a Christmas party with my family and I am on a bloody phone. Some textures work perfectly, like the cables in the grav shaft. I might try to fiddle with the textures and see if I can come up with a solution to remove the broken textures. Will also try the priority suggestion and post my results.
This was tested with Integrated Intel HD 4600 GPU, will try it also with my Nvidia gtx 860m GPU, mabe it'll help.

664a02aa2064fvoodoo47

664a02aa2069e
there is a very good chance that switching to nvidia will solve the problem.
Acknowledged by: Colonel SFF
664a02aa208db
there is a very good chance that switching to nvidia will solve the problem.

I did not change priority, I just changed to my other GPU (Nvidia gtx 860m) instead of my Integrated Intel GPU (HD 4600). This fixed the flickering grafics issue. Seems I'll have to play in performance mode. Who needs Battery anyway when playing a game! I just got so used to having a lot more Battery since I changed to Integrated. Thanks for the suggestion voodoo47!

664a02aa20970voodoo47

664a02aa209ba
yep, once an intel gpu, always an intel gpu.
664a02aa20b36
Further in the game I grew too lazy to always change to the Nvidia GPU. Sometimes I have a very slight lag when running around very special areas. For example the Lava/Heat thing behind the bars on Commando Deck. Other than that I have had no other issues since the thing on earth at the beginning that started this topic. Right now I wanted to suggest to fix those few textures in the beginning for the people stuck with an Intel GPU, but when I wanted to make a screenshot of the problem I found out that it isn't there any more.
My guess is that the mod order that I changed did fix this. In the Newbie Modding guide there was a recommended order which I used. See first attachment. Then a few days ago voodoo47 changed/updated the Newbie Modding guides list with the release of 400 mod version 19. I also did this change.
The other thing possible is that ACC fixed the textures in v19, but I doubt it.
This new modlist seems to work fine.

664a02aa20fd1voodoo47

664a02aa2102c
or maybe a reboot/relog has just slapped the gpu driver into submission.

also, obj shrink is not really needed if you are running SCP. it's not like they conflict or anything, but anyway.

664a02aa210d3OmegaDEATH

664a02aa21134
Most gma's use shared memory "shudder"
664a02aa22996
Most gma's use shared memory "shudder"
Please elaborate.

[...]
I doubt it. It was happening on different days and different sessions. But I guess anything is possible.

664a02aa22c10OmegaDEATH

664a02aa22c8e
Please elaborate.

Instead of having it's own ram for the gpu it shares some of the system ram.
With big textures this can cause some heavy traffic over the gpu bus as it loads and swaps out textures for processing.
I'm not sure if the optimus combo shares it's dedicated memory.. but i'm guessing NO as this could cuase a whole new flood of problems too.
664a02aa22f8b
Instead of having it's own ram for the gpu it shares some of the system ram.
With big textures this can cause some heavy traffic over the gpu bus as it loads and swaps out textures for processing.
I'm not sure if the optimus combo shares it's dedicated memory.. but i'm guessing NO as this could cuase a whole new flood of problems too.

Thanks. I have to relog when changing from one GPU to the other, so I doubt they do that. I do have 8 GB Ram, but I guess it doesn't really matter to the Intel CPU/GPU. I even wonder how much of the 8GB can be used in SS2, since it's only 32bit, isn't it? Anyway, I still know too little to make speculations.
« Last Edit: 08. January 2016, 21:57:41 by Colonel SFF »

664a02aa23229OmegaDEATH

664a02aa2327e
Thanks. I have to relog when changing from one GPU to the other, so I doubt they do that. I do have 8 GB Ram, but I guess it doesn't really matter to the Intel CPU/GPU. I even wonder how much of the 8GB can be used in SS2, since it's only 32bit, isn't it? Anyway, I still know too little to make speculations.

32 bit that is correct.
But even if the gpu had enough ram the work load for a gma is high.
664a02aa23588
I started SS2 again for another playthrough to test a few mods (especially RealSG), it seems that I get the same issue again, even tho I didn't change the modlist any more (other than adding RealSG_rebirth over rebirth, and adding KaucuKovniks Worms high in the list, and updating verb. deutsche übersetzung mod).
I'm running out of ideas what it could be that's causing this flickering, and I don't really wanna use my nvidia card if I can avoid it.

[...]
Maybe your theory is right, but I don't like randomness. I relogged, rebooted, changed to nvidia and back to intel. Played puzzle with the mod order. No success, still no idea.
Not that it's a big problem for me, since I have another gpu installed, but would be shitty for someone with only intel.

664a02aa23668voodoo47

664a02aa236b7
intel and shitty go together hand in hand as far as gpus are concerned - whoever is "gaming" on intel, knows what he is in for.

my final recommendation for anyone having this kind of problem would be "update your intel driver, if that won't cut it, disable the mod that is giving you trouble".
« Last Edit: 22. March 2016, 21:18:41 by voodoo47 »
664a02aa239b3
intel and shitty go together hand in hand as far as gpus are concerned - whoever is "gaming" in intel, knows what he is in for.

my final recommendation for anyone having this kind of problem would be "update your intel driver, if that won't cut it, disable the mod that is giving you trouble".

Yes, I see what you mean. Also I don't really blame Intel to be shitty (also I don't really have other problems with it), it's awesome to have a CPU that works as GPU very good in most cases. I like that it consumes less power that way, but what I really like in this case here is that when playing with Intel my Laptop is noticeably less loud, as it doesn't have to cool down the NVIDIA card and therefore increases immersion.
I very much like the way NVIDIA goes with GPUs btw.
664a02aa23c34
I don't want to be one of those idiots who replies with a 'suggestion' that's obvious but not helpful (like when someone asks "My laptop is too slow to run [game x], is there anything I can do to speed up the game?" and someone replies "Buy a faster laptop", but I do wonder why you don't just dual boot, Windows for games, and Linux for everything else?

I don't use Linux, as Windows does everything I want (even if it does some of it badly, and I don't like using anything by Microsoft as I don't trust their motives or competence*), but if I were to go over to Linux then I think I'd dual boot to Windows for gaming, to save having to mess about with WINE and stuff.

* I have to be familiar with Windows, as I work in I.T. Support, plus I fix/upgrade/build all my friends' and family's PCs, and it's always Windows, never Linux (or an Apple Mac).
664a02aa23fad
[...], but I do wonder why you don't just dual boot, Windows for games, and Linux for everything else? [...]
I like the tinkering and when being successful (as in most cases) I feel victorious against Microsoft/Apple. Also the more I use it the more benefits I see from not having Windows.
My local "production" machine still has Windows 7, but I rarely use it any more since I study electrical engineering. I used it for Video editing, Color Correction and 3D Animation. For Program makers like Adobes Creative Cloud, Blackmagicdesign, or Autodesk I wouldn't risk using the products under Wine and having trouble when I have to meet a deadline.

Anyway, back to topic: I'm trying to find out atm how to update the Intel Grafics driver, and to find out if it's even possible/necessary.

664a02aa2408dvoodoo47

664a02aa240d8
I don't think you can under linux - you'll just have whatever the maintainers keep in the repository. my last post was general and more aimed at windows users, who more often than not run old gpu drivers, "whatever windows loaded when it was installed". the difference between that and a full standalone driver from intel can be quite significant.
664a02aa24435
I like the tinkering and when being successful (as in most cases) I feel victorious against Microsoft/Apple. Also the more I use it the more benefits I see from not having Windows.
My local "production" machine still has Windows 7, but I rarely use it any more since I study electrical engineering. I used it for Video editing, Color Correction and 3D Animation. For Program makers like Adobes Creative Cloud, Blackmagicdesign, or Autodesk I wouldn't risk using the products under Wine and having trouble when I have to meet a deadline.

Fair enough, and I know what you mean. PCs are interesting to tinker with, and it's rewarding when you learn how to do or fix something. Plus learning how to build/upgrade/fix PCs is what led me to my career, in I.T. Support. It's not the best job, and not too well paid, but it's better than most jobs I'd otherwise be chasing, and nowadays you're lucky to have any job at all.
1 Guest is here.
on a dreamy day, I am drifting around
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a02aa24535