664a45b7b2e5d

664a45b7b3429
1 Guest is here.

Topic: System Shock 2 beautification : sound Read 6068 times  

664a45b7b38b0
Hello everybody

There are many possibilities to enhance SS2 graphics (texture packs, activation of  anti-aliasing, news 3D models ...), and you get something really better.

I have ordered a soundcard (audigy 2 value), there are some interesting features in it which could improve SS2 sound experience, and may be some of you have already tested feature like CMSS. I am interested to share their feedbacks and advises.

SS2 is one of the 3 games which has nevef left my HDD, and each time I relaunch it (usually following the delivery of a new texture pack), I am surprised by the quality of the sound environnement. Sure, as soon as the Audigy is installed, the first game I will test is SS2.

Vcube

664a45b7b3b97
Hello Vcube, are you trying to incite some System Shock chat here?  :)
I have nothing against it but frankly you will get more answers and readers over at  TTLG
The SBF-forums are mostly a base for up- and downloading Modifications and other System Shock related stuff.

That being said, I hope the sound experience with your Audigy card will make you want to play through SS2 another time. Or check out one of the fan-missions available here. I find Ponterbee station to be quite fun and it's made on a really professional level.

Cheers, Kolya
« Last Edit: 02. June 2012, 23:44:01 by Kolya »
664a45b7b3cde
Oops, You're right  (and I will try Ponterbee station). By the way, and this is mod related, do you know if one can find "sound pack" for SS2 as we have for textures or 3D models ? (Indeed I am a bit stubborn with sound enhancement).

Vcube
664a45b7b3f62
There is DeepFriedBeer's SoundUpgrade which changes most weaponsounds. I think it's quite good though I didn't like the new shipalarm too much. (Sounds like a submarine alarm.)
My GerMany Mod replaces the enemy talk with the equivalents from the German SS2-version. It's basically for regular players who have become tired of hearing the same old samples over and over again. I made it more or less for fun but it get's downloaded quite often.

You'll have to decide yourself if these mods are something for you. None of them is an "upgrade" as SHTUP is for graphics or Rebirth is for models. They are optional.
The reason why there is no universal sound-upgrade is that the sounds are what most people like about SS2, like you said yourself.

A mod you really should try when you played through SS2 too often to still get nervous is Zygoptera's RandomMod which randomly changes the places of loot, keycards, etc. and adds some very nice scripted events. Currently this mod is available for MedSci, Engineering and Hydro levels.

Kolya
« Last Edit: 16. July 2007, 09:07:57 by Kolya »

664a45b7b401eLambda 00

664a45b7b4074
Will you please repost a link to the GerMany mod, the current one no longer works T_T :borg:

664a45b7b41daNameless Voice

1 Guest is here.
In Gothra village, the girls’ sit-in finally notched a small victory.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a45b7b4323