System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition Update & Community Participation

2 Guests are here.
◀◀Page: 20/126▶▶
664a064760877
pripyatbeastQuote

Quote by prengle:
voicing my concerns without going ham:

• please continue to make the original non-kex version of ss2 available alongside the ss2ee, even if it's included as a bonus or something. i would love to see the original olddark release made easily available as well, and there are a fair number of people who would probably enjoy seeing it too
  • what "source code" is actually being released - the original olddark release by looking glass and irrational, nightdive's reverse-engineered code, or the source code for this kex-based release? who exactly owns the rights to the dark engine itself?

i still haven't forgotten the freely available system shock portable being taken down so that nightdive's first version of ss1ee could be sold online with virtually the same features. the source code release softened the blow, but that was years afterward...

The original version of Shock 2 will always be available, it will most likely be bundled in with SS2EE as "SS2: Classic" which is what we did with the original.

The source code we will be releasing will be a combination of what we've reverse engineered and what other bits and pieces we've managed to acquire. Our KEX code will not be included.

System Shock Portable is not comparable to SS:EE in terms of a feature set. SS:EE is a source port using original code that took a significant amount of time and resources to develop which was also given away for free to owners of System Shock on Steam/GOG. Like you mentioned we also open sourced the code after the project was completed which has spawned additional campaigns, level editors and tools for the original.

It's worth noting that the original author of Portable was the lead developer on SS:EE and is also the lead on SS2:EE.

On another note, Zeph has reached out granting permission to use his Tacticool weapon mod. Thank you Zeph!

I also wanted to share a sneak peak at the updated character models we're putting together. This isn't final, but you can see that we're paying close attention to the silhouette, adding polygonal detail where necessary and smoothing out edge flow for better deformation. The textures are being repainted in the same hand painted style that will compliment the updated environment textures supplied by the community.

I will have more information on the VR version in the future!
Acknowledged by 3 members: Nameless Voice, unn_atropos, Grosnus
664a064760d89
endwarsQuote
pripyatbeast
That's beautiful!

I wish to make a few points about models though:

This might not be obvious to everyone, at least it wasn't to me. At first it looks like NPC's from portraits and regular NPC are supposed to be wearing differently styled uniforms, but then I realized all NPC's are supposed to be wearing the same short sleeved uniform with a V shaped collar. (I say V shaped collar because I am not sure what it is called) It is obvious when we look at the NPC portraits:

And then compare it to the original model:

It is stretched and low resolution, but to me it is obvious what the intent was. When you are creating the high poly crew models, you need to take more inspiration from the portraits. :)
664a064761226
KolyaQuote

Quote by pripyatbeast:
It's worth noting that the original author of Portable was the lead developer on SS:EE and is also the lead on SS2:EE.

I think there's a little confusion here. Malba Tahan created the mouselook mod for System Shock, based on his reverse engineering work. (Before you hired him and he created SS:EE for you.)
His mouselook mod was one of several mods available in System Shock Portable which I created.
Remember, you sent Larry to tell me to take down System Shock Portable? Oh well, it's been a while.
Acknowledged by: Marvin
664a06476162c
DepravedDipteraQuote

Quote by ZylonBane:
The problem with Rebirth is that it's not sufficiently faithful to the original models. It's a high-quality, low-authenticity mod.

By low quality he means the models look bad. The quality you're referring to is graphics quality. Imo some of the designs are really ugly even if you separate them from SS2's original designs, specifically the hybrids.

Edit: To avoid being taken out of context I should specify that first of all this is my personal opinion, secondly not every single model looks ugly and when I say they look bad I mean I don't like the art style of the models, and finally I'm sure Cyberblutch has done great work and is an amazing artist, but these models are just not for me.

Edit2: Fixed my language up a bit to make my reply not come across rude
664a064761b11
endwarsQuote
pripyatbeast
Please add separate fingers on that model. Spoon hands on a higher poly model doesn't look cool. Please have models that has real fingers, eyeballs and mouths. Please make it so that NPC's can use those mouths while talking. Dark engine only supports texture animation, but I know kex could do more.

Could we please please please have an optional player left arm like the below mod:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?wap2;topic=9436.0

People dislike that mod because it uses the left arm from Doom 3, but I think it is pretty essential for immersion. So having an optional left arm that looks more like it belongs to SS2 (basically an arm thats wearing same clothes as the protagonist instead of being naked like Doom 3 arm) would be brilliant.

Having options like that we can turn on and off from the options menu would be amazing.

◀◀Page: 20/126▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact