System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition Update & Community Participation

1 Guest is here.
◀◀Page: 15/126▶▶
664a08240343b
youarelovingitQuote
pripyatbeast
Very cool! I never even imagined we would ever see a VR version of SS2.

By the way, I have some suggestions if you don't mind:

1. If you are going to include more faithful versions of Rebirth models, please make sure there are multiple skins for each human NPC and hybrids. At the moment all hybrids are wearing sleeveless undershirt and jeans instead of their uniform/jumpsuit.
(I am not talking about anything extravagant here, when I say multiple, one hybrid texture with sleeveless undershirt and one with the uniform for each hybrid would be enough. As for human NPC's, just making sure there are multiple face textures would be enough.)

2. Please add female hybrid models along with male hybrids. Canonically, there are supposed to be female hybrids as well, but in game they all appear as male. Please check this thread: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?wap2;topic=11334.0

4. Please add mouth animation for Human NPC's. There is a simple method to do so suggested here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?wap2;topic=11543.0

Also if you could add optional dx11 support, normal map support and  realistic shadows that would be amazing.
Acknowledged by: PsiElite
664a082403868
ZylonBaneQuote

Quote by youarelovingit:
Please add mouth animation for Human NPC's. There is a simple method to do so suggested here
The technique suggested in that thread is the furthest possible thing from simple, and in fact would be highly labor-intensive.

The closest thing to simple would be to use the engine's built-in facial texture animation feature. That would "just" require making new face textures.
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool
664a082403af4
youarelovingitQuote
ZylonBane
How so? Because animations would need to be edited? I imagine it would be difficult to do in Thief, since there are lot of NPC's who speak where player can see, but in SS2 human NPC's rarely speak face to face with the player, most of the time they do not speak where player can see at all. So there are only 2 or 3 instances where speech would need to be simulated. And all those instances have unique animations not used anywhere else. So editing them wouldn't effect anything else.
664a082403c3e
voodoo47Quote
everything you have mentioned sounds easy, but in fact isn't, and would be better off left to SS2R, imho.
664a082403ff7
JDoranQuote

Quote by pripyatbeast:
For those who haven't seen we've posted a preview of SS2EE running in VR - https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1348348791372480513

It wasn't something we were originally planning on, but the results have been very promising and it'll be a nice bonus for those who have a VR setup.

Wow! I don't yet have PC VR, but when I do upgrade my current setup, I will definitely be playing it. That means I will be buying both the Playstation and the PC versions (well worth it, though). It's actually pretty tragic that in the two decades since SS2's release it still hasn't been bettered t what it does. Prey 2017 came close in some ways, and even betters SS2 is some ways, but overall System Shock 2 is still king of it's game type.

It's impossible to adequately express the experience of virtual reality (when done right) to someone who has never tried it. When playing a first person game on a TV or monitor, for example, you never really 'feel' (in your heart and mind, I mean, not feel physically) that an enemy who is roughly your height in the game is actually your height. But in virtual reality, you do really feel that they are that big, and that they really are only a foot or two away from you, and it really does play on your unconscious, millions of years old, survival instincts, adding feelings of unease and danger that I've never felt in non-VR games.

System Shock 2 in VR will be amazing!
Acknowledged by 2 members: Starspawn, Simplex
◀◀Page: 15/126▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact