System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition Update & Community Participation

1 Guest is here.
◀◀Page: 16/126▶▶
6649fcee6a389
endwarsQuote
voodoo47
Most things s/he mentioned is in fact easy though. Making skins/textures for models is a trivial matter compared to most other things. Creating a female hybrid model wouldn't be too difficult, I could do it by heavily modifying the male hybrid model right now if you like.

DX11 support and normal map support would be difficult, but they have the source code and they are game developers, if anyone could do it, it is them.

Heck, I am playing SS2 with a dx11 wrapper as we speak and that one was developed by some random guy who liked coding. I would imagine being an active game developer involves more than that.

Lastly, the mouth animation thing... I have no idea how Dark engine works, so I can't really comment on that, but even if there are engine limitations like you said, they have the source code and they are developers. They can find a way.

I would say none of his/her suggestions are unreasonable.
6649fcee6a5c5
LivoQuote
Apparently new enemy models are being created as per the first page of this thread, so perhaps the ancient model/animation  format system and the import/export tools are being upgraded to make it easier to get the new models ingame in SS2:EE? If so, perhaps Nightdive could implement a rudimentary skeletal animation system on the lines on the technical level akin to Half Life 1,  instead of the old plane based format?

Having even a simple HL1 setup, plus updated import/export model & animation tools of course, would make it far easier to modify & add custom models or animations into the game.

Also, for lip syncing characters, Half Life 1 has a rudimentary (but nice by 1998 standards) lip sync system with its skeletal animation, where a character's mouth will automatically move when playing ANY voice or sound files, as long as they're in the correct audio format. HL1's lip sync works based on the volume of the audio  from memory. For the purposes of SS2: EE, it'd be great, the game definitely doesn't need an elaborate full facial motion capture setup.

The only major barriers are that a) this would definitely break compatibility with both NewDark and OldDark and b) if the new models and animations are already working in SS2:EE, then I doubt Nightdive would be willing to delay their work by updating the engine with skeletal animation.
6649fcee6a75f
📱 HikariQuote
Except female corpses have similar jumpsuits to the male counterparts.

Frankly would be nice of the hybrids looked like they were wearing remains of uniforms as opposed to wife beater with blue jeans.
6649fcee6ab5e
ZylonBaneQuote

Quote by Hikari:
Frankly would be nice of the hybrids looked like they were wearing remains of uniforms as opposed to wife beater with blue jeans.
The pipe hybrid, which is the only who who wears a "wife beater" is clearly wearing the remains of a standard crew uniform.

Acknowledged by: Nameless Voice
6649fcee6ae4a
HikariQuote

Quote by ZylonBane:
The pipe hybrid, which is the only who who wears a "wife beater" is clearly wearing the remains of a standard crew uniform.

For all your talent Zylon. You are an incredibly smug bastard that seems to revel in it.
◀◀Page: 16/126▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact