System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition Update & Community Participation

2 Guests are here.
◀◀Page: 18/126▶▶
664a031bb2145
GawainQuote
Nice, ND has hired new "community manager"?
664a031bb22a8
endwarsQuote
Yeah, sure. You are delusional.

My point being, they are asking for permission. No one is forcing you to give your mod to them. Blaming them for this is just pointless. I am just stating the facts as they are.
Acknowledged by: Hardkern
664a031bb26d8
KolyaQuote

Quote by endwars:
Modders offer their work freely to NightDive, because their work was free for all to begin with. At least this way, it makes its way to the official release and improves the base game.

Yeah, that's likely the view that lead most to agree. It's a common view in open source projects. Many companies rely on open source software to create their commercial products. Of course these companies often also support these open source projects, either financially or by contributing to the work. In my company I initiated an ongoing donation program for open source projects that we use. So I'm well aware of that.

It's still an uneasy compromise imo because companies aren't forced to contribute to the public good they take from in any way. It's an example of: costs are public but profit is private.
None of these mods would have been made if we all acted this way. There would be no forum, no community, no helping each other.  The motor that brought us here is public profit. Well that's my view anyway. You don't have to agree, but you benefit from it anyway.
664a031bb2808
KolyaQuote
And please don't just accuse users of being shills. There's a field at the end of your forum profile where you should enter if you work for a relevant company. AFAIK all NightDive employees use it. If you have reasonable suspicion that someone doesn't though they should, inform our staff and we will take care of it.
664a031bb2971
StarspawnQuote
sarge945 raised some great points about the VR implementation
Though as long as it's all open-source, it can be improved by the community...granted it would be really really good if the base experience wasn't horrible
Also no need to reinvent wheels when plenty of VR games like Boneworks have already shown what does and doesn't work
Inventory is probably the aspect that might benefit from discussion though, I don't think many VR games have pulled them off well
◀◀Page: 18/126▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact