🔒 Night Dive Twitch Streams

1 Guest is here.
◀◀Page: 130/142▶▶
664713187a604
voodoo47Quote
that sums it up nicely. I mean, it's not a dealbreaker, and I'm pretty sure I'll hardly notice once my brain adjusts, but still, WHY.
664713187a9cd
JosiahJackQuote
The epic saga continues...
Pixel crunchy goodness vs blurry just because:

For Unity, it can be a pain.  Textures imported you have to choose either one or the other...per texture!  The "easy" way to have the option you'd have a duplicate of every texture and switch them back and forth - double the install size!  Such a thing can be done by importing all textures via code rather than using the Unity import options.  The downside is that you would lose finer optimizations per texture such as compression type and lower vs higher anisotropic settings for instance (well aniso can be global forced).  Importing without compression can massively increase runtime memory, blanket comprssing all textures can make some detailed textures look worse than intended.  Also, whenever you change the option, you'd have to reimport all the textures again which is a good 30-60% of the memory of the game anyway and can be slow then you'd have a massive spike in memory usage until the garbage collector catches up a short bit later to clear out the old unneeded texture batch.  Unless it's done cleverly, switching the option back and forth might run the PC out of RAM.

The sad part is that in older game engines like Quake GL ports, you can easily switch it globally and does it based on GPU instantly.  Not really sure how to do that nowadays.

Can't speak for Unreal but likely similar to Unity from what I've seen.

Tech TLDR:  It's hard that's why!

Opinion:
Either is fine, the type of filtering is a tool.  Crunchy-pixelly goodness works great with a retro non-realistic style. Pixels also allow for the crispest edges in a texture.  To acheive that with filtered textures is doable but you'll need extra pixels to pad out between panels and extra polygons to slice up the model to make it work where edges don't get near the blur between 2-3 pixels.  This can hurt performance, but depends on the style you're going for.

With crisp pixels you can get jarring motion-sickness-inducing moire patterns unless more expensive aniso is used.

With pixels you lose the ability to achieve photo realism for smaller tecture sizes.

Filtering is a great tool to achieve photorealism because at tiny levels most textures are blurrier unless you focus on them or get a magnifying glass.  I normally don't advocate blur, but it can help smooth any otherwise distracting noise in more realistic looking textures.

I like pixels because they are crisper and sharper for details and give a retro stylized look.  Unless a game has very large resolution textures, I don't wamt any extra blur.
I wear contacts.  Without them my world is only crisp and clear for a distance of about the length of my hand.  Anytime a game does something that blurrs or obstructs my vision, I dislike it.  I have enough battle on my own with my bad eyes.  Sure you can do it for a movie but for the game in first person it needs to provide a view comparable to what normally tries to enter my eyes in real life...clear coherent crisp images at a high framerate.
664713187acce
sguptaQuote
05/18/20 Dev Stream w/ Daniel
Karlee joins a bit in and Stephen and Kevin join later as well.

It's been a while!!!  Honestly, there is SO much new here, if you want to catch up with dev, this one's worth a watch.  They've done a ton of work.  I had to watch this in the background, but these are a few of the highlights I picked up (but I'm sure I missed quite a bit). 

- Daniel is placing assets around Executive level, wood paneling and all.
- He added repulsor lifts to the cargo bay area (Cargo Bay 3) so it made more sense and there was actually a place for the cargo to go.
- Stairs replace ramps in some sections.
- There are easter eggs already, but he's not going to tell you what they are.
- Flight Deck level took about 90 days to do.
- Medical has changed a lot since we last saw it; lots more detail/polish.
- No news on System Shock 2 Enhanced at this time.
- Cyberspace should be shown pretty soon (tm).
- Enemies are making a lot of progress.  For example, if you shoot a cyborg near the alcoves on Medical, they all wake up now.  There are several more enemy types (of various in-progress states) in.
- There are several more weapons in as well.
- Some of the combat music and such are in there/working.
- Several things that were placeholder like CPU nodes now have much cooler looking assets.
- Explosions are in!
- They are NOT getting rid of the Hopper.
- Awesome shooting range showcased at the end!
- HUD has customizable colors.
- Demo coming soon for everybody to try!  (No specific date, but SOON).
- No specific release date either, but it's clear a lot of work has been done and progress made since the last dev stream.
664713187b15f
icemannQuote
Zomg the first dev stream in nearly a year.

My notes:

* The marble floors in Exec look excellent. Level looks close to complete. Some areas expanded as they had the space in the level to do it.
* Daniel would like an aquarium added to the level somewhere.    - Wouldn't all the fish be dead from no'one feeding them?
* 8:54 - Get to see Flight Deck. Level is not yet complete as waiting on assets to be finished off. Looks about 90% done.
* Cyborg Assassin's are in the game. You see one briefly. Just missing a texture on top, as is currently a grey untextured model.
* Corpses look far better than in the current demo (released back in February)
* It's looking like enemy placement is fixed, which goes against the ecology style of SS1 and SS2. Maybe that's going to change later?
* Quite a lot of new wall textures and props added
* Some easter eggs are already implemented and in-game. None of them revealed.
* The first Cortex Reaver spot looks completely different to the original. Far larger, more spaced out.
* New ambient sounds in. Hear a humming sound at one point.
* When will the next version of the demo be out - Most likely next week       - Expect a streaming of it from me, when it's out
* New model update of the cyborg enforcer should be in soon.
* Exec Bots are also in. Not textured.
* 44:00 - Stephen joins
* 46:29 - Tencent registered System Shock 3 & 4 websites (even though they don't own the IP for System Shock). Not good. Tencent is a large Chinese Games Dev company.
* 58:00 - Kevin joins
* 1:07:00 - Jump over to Medical
* The player gun holding looks quite twitchy. Noticed the gun shaking a alot. You can see it happening around 1:11:00.
* You now need to activate a switch nearby the wall for the larger doors (in Medical).
* Lighting has definitely been improved
* 1:13:00 - Get to see grenades in action. Looks like the grenades have been saved from removal :).
* Still no cyberspace. But it is coming soon apparently according to Stephen.
* The blood effect when you hit a corpse with the pipe looks really fake. Like way over the top. Cartoony.
* Stephen would like for the player to be able to pickup guns, unload the ammo and be able to discard the gun like you can in SS2.    - I fully support this one. Makes sense from a logical standpoint.
* You can lean now. Not sure if that was in earlier.
* Items on shelves are mysteriously falling through onto the ground. A current bug in the game.
* Camera screens now in
* Mutants now have a different eye color. More darker.
* Will you have to wait out for the healing patch animation to play out before you can use another one - For now yes. Still undecided on long term.      - Please get rid of that. You can drink 5 cans in a row without having to wait for an animation.
* 1:33:00 - New enemy type. You don't get a good look at it. Looks mech-like. Called a Cyborg Mantis apparently. It bugs out when killed and it's not textured yet.
* Wire puzzles (in Medical) all on walls now, rather than on the floor.
* Ammo count currently does not update on shooting. Currently being worked on to work correctly.
* 1:43:00 - Daniel shits himself from a surprise enemy attack (even though he placed that enemy there in the level :p).
* More advanced behaviors for the AI's being worked on, so that they can duck to avoid player shots etc.
* 1:48:00 - Get to see a whole heap of enemies spawning in one area. Bugs and chaos ensue. Cool to see some some enemy spawns ingame finally.
* 1:52:46 - Get to see the magpulse in action. Very early days for that weapon. Much work left.
* Is sensearound going to be in the game - No. That's out.           - WHAT!!! Not that I ever used that myself but come on.
* CPU Cores now explode properly
* Reactor Core codes now displayed in CPU Core room
* 2:09:18 - New healing bed animation. You now hop into it. Animations for that still in the works.
* The music is still bugged, and doesn't play most of the time. Around the time of the healing bed use, it suddenly starts working which Daniel remarks on.
* 2:14:22 - Shooting range. Get to see - Shotgun, machine gun (skorpion?), invincible maintenance bot, grenade launcher, magpulse, rail gun, magnum, assault rifle, plasma rifle (not functional)
664713187b40a
icemannQuote
Bending the rules of the thread a bit for this one, as it's notes for a stream they did to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6QXr62mb1g

Notes:

* Daniel, Stephen, Karlee and a few others present in the stream. A play through of Medical.
* This version of the demo, unlike the one streamed a few days earlier has an actual intro of sorts, with some intro text, a system boot up sequence and the player waking up.
* Music present which is completely ambient stuff except when in combat. So yep they ignored the backers on this one.
* Now when you use the medbed you actually hop inside it. Looks kinda cool, except that your legs disappear once you hop in.
* Some new effects when you smash stuff like the cameras.
* 4:50 - Get to see the mini pistol, which is now in, with proper ammo display
* 5:30 - Some of the mutants now have clothes on
* 7:15 - The mutant nesting areas actually have more gore, body parts around
* 7:45 - Some new door opening animations. Very Alien-ish.
* 12:30 - They got the V-Mail's in. Though it's only displayed to a screen on a wall, rather than to the hackers view screen.
* 16:11 - Mag-pulse
* Still no cyberspace. Coming in next update apparently.
* 20:02 - Some good combat and physics at work. Looks like respawning is working properly now. See plenty of it throughout the video. Adds more randomness to things though. Great to see, though they may have it up a bit too high due how often respawns were appearing. It also looks like their not removing dead bodies after a set amount of time which'll be bad for memory after a while in a long level.
* Cyborg Mantis has a skin texture now.
* If you drink a whole heap of soda cans in a row, you burp (in the game). Apparently only happens rarely. 1 out of every thousand times a can is drunk according to Daniel.
* 27:11 - Cyborg Assassins now have a skin
* Emp, frag grenades and gas grenades in
◀◀Page: 130/142▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact