663aba950bd38
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSR: System Shock Kickstarter
Page: « 1 ... 83 [84]
Read 122069 times  

663aba950c429Xkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
663aba950c49e
ZylonBaneIt isn't a deal breaker for me but I agree that some sort of explanation would be nice.

Also unrelated but for some reason the female hacker only changes the head, arms, and voice. For some reason despite the custom artwork, in game the female model reuses the male torso and legs which is a bit disappointing.
« Last Edit: 25. April 2024, 20:31:08 by Xkilljoy98 »

663aba950ca52Briareos H

663aba950cae0
Briareos H
I was able to finish the game after the latest patch. Phew!

I may write down some more detailed feedback later but the short of it is that I am very happy with how the game was remade. It is a lot more faithful than I was expecting while bringing new elements of design language that are valuable on their own. Citadel still feels like its own place and the way exploration works in the original is almost perfectly reproduced.

The art style is definitely my jam. I found the consistency in visual style to elicit the early 3D graphics cyberpunk look quite remarkable, with a very confident grasp of the Unreal Engine for a first release. And the nearest neighbor filtered low-res look was love at first sight, but I suppose that's a me thing.

Some aspects of the original game could have been improved in the second half with regards to maintaining a clearer main quest progression while keeping the minimal signposting approach.

The combat was interesting, somehow the interplay of systems that were completely overhauled such as weapons and enemies results in an imperfect balance that feels fairly close to the original game.

Cyberspace was fun but not very remarkable. I liked getting a clean and minimalist implementation of a Descent clone (btw I didn't know that Mike Kulas and Matt Toschlog both worked at LGS before moving on to develop Descent. Toschlog is even credited as having worked on libraries in the original and remake, but I'm not sure whether he contributed to the cyberspace implementation in System Shock) and I liked the looks of it, but it lacked something to make it feel special. The end boss was a bit messy but I'll still take that over the original ending. A bit weird to lose the 6DOF shooting, it didn't work that well but solid attempt and fun Tron 2.0 vibes.

The music was a negative for me, while I don't dislike it and I think the audio director is a competent composer on top of being good at his main job, it was too subdued for System Shock. The original soundtrack, with all its weirdness, is an integral part of the Citadel experience. Elevator bossa nova is absolutely perfect though.

Another negative was the recycler mechanics, which felt really clunky. Unless you spend the whole playthrough vaporizing everything you come across you will never manage to use vending lockers as reliable sources of ammunition, so the obvious use is for weapon upgrades. Those upgrades are cool but why not simply make them hidden items like hardware upgrades? Hoarding in-game currency for upgrades is one of the ImSim tropes that I've always disliked and one of the reasons the original System Shock is still my favorite.
« Last Edit: 30. April 2024, 06:40:58 by Briareos H »

663aba950cd33icemann

663aba950cd95
A minor hotfix by the sound of it, compared to previous patches.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the AI that appears in both System Shock games:
1 Guest is here.
You are a true asset to the company you work for.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663aba950ceb7