Deteriorating Items Mod (no more item hoarding!)

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/7▶▶
6642f2b6485ad
sarge945Quote
°DML

Deterioration Mod (Working title)
A mod by Sarge945

From the creator of No Keypad Cheese comes another "If you think it's overpowered, why not just stop yourself using it, you idiot!?" mod. This time around, it's all about combating item piles.

I'm sure everyone at some point has clogged up the elevator shaft with hundreds of bullets, 50+ hypos, 25 batteries, 4 sets of armour, some medkits, some implants, and a grenade launcher. The Many knows what you're up to, and now they are fighting back! Guns aren't the only things that deteriorate quickly anymore!

The gist of this one is simple: Once you drop an item, you have 10 minutes to pick it up before it starts to deteriorate. Once it starts to deteriorate, parts of it will begin to become useless. That box of 20 bullets? Now only 15 are usable. Those 2 batteries? One is now dead. That gamepig? Completely broken. Expect to see items start disappearing and breaking down into their component atoms.

Gameplay wise, this basically means that any item you throw away will start losing stacks over time, and eventually disappear completely. Maybe the many spores are degrading it, or maybe Hybrids are stealing them when you're not looking. Either way, it's bad to just leave stuff lying around!

Technical
This mod contains no map DMLs and should be compatible with all mods and FMs. It should correctly affect all items inheriting from the Goodies (-49) and Items (-90) archetypes, as long as they don't use all 4 script slots.

This mod doesn't affect armour and weapons. That's intentional. Hoarding them is far less egregious balance-wise because they are inherently rare already.

Changelog:
Version 1.2:

- Plot items, weapons, armour and organs will no longer deteriorate.
- Fixed issue where items placed in containers (using mods like RSD) wouldn't deteriorate.
- Changed deterioration rate from 10 minutes to 5 minutes, as 10 seemed too long.
- Changed stack degrade formula.

Version 1.1:

- Items will no longer disappear when the player is nearby.

Version 1.0:

- Initial Release
6642f2b648ac7
RocketManQuote
This is consistent with the "to a degree assumed" lore so it seems like a good idea to preserve tension.  Might make the game unplayable for me... I tend to deliberate a lot in games.  But most players would probably welcome it as a new difficulty tier.  Personally I think if you're going this route, then everything ought to degrade all the time, whether it's in your inventory or not.  Of course the degradation would have to be very slow but again, as far as the lore goes, this is fine.  You do wake up after months of bullshit already happened on the ship and can still find pistols in working condition so it's plausible that having one on you for half the game might drop a point or 2 of quality whether you used it or not.
6642f2b649054
sarge945Quote

Quote by RocketMan:
This is consistent with the "to a degree assumed" lore so it seems like a good idea to preserve tension.  Might make the game unplayable for me... I tend to deliberate a lot in games.  But most players would probably welcome it as a new difficulty tier.  Personally I think if you're going this route, then everything ought to degrade all the time, whether it's in your inventory or not.  Of course the degradation would have to be very slow but again, as far as the lore goes, this is fine.  You do wake up after months of bullshit already happened on the ship and can still find pistols in working condition so it's plausible that having one on you for half the game might drop a point or 2 of quality whether you used it or not.

From a lore standpoint, I completely agree with you. It makes total sense that items should degrade whether or not you're carrying them.

From a gameplay standpoint, however, I think having items degrade constantly would be counter productive. It would encourage players to essentially speedrun through the levels in order to maximise the potential for items, which I don't want. I also tend to deliberate a lot in games, and it takes me a while to do anything, so that form of degradation would be horrendous for me.

As it currently stands, though, if you don't pick up items you don't have space for, or don't currently need, you should be fine. It's there to punish hoarding, not deliberating.

I am open to suggestions for how to make it more generous for general item deliberations, as long as those changes don't allow item hoarding again.

If you need some headcanon to justify why things only disappear after you discard them, instead of blaming the Many's pheromones or spores or whatever affecting the working of the mechanisms, instead just pretend hybrids are walking around the ship scooping up any item piles they find. That actually sort of makes sense - if your enemy had made a stash somewhere, you'd probably want to clear it out.
6642f2b649274
JDoranQuote
This is a clever idea, and I can see the really hardcore SS2 fans wanting to try it to give them an additional challenge when playing through a game that they know every last thing about due to playing it endlessly. But it's not a mod I'd personally be interested in. Would a mod where the NPCs, or at least a certain type of NPCs (say the spiders) can steal an object and hide it in their 'den' (their home area) be feasible? Then when find some items missing from where you stored them, then you would have to locate the spider's den on that level, and go and retrieve your stuff. I don't think I'd personally use such a mod, but maybe some people might.
6642f2b6493f9
📱 sarge945Quote
It's lots of effort for not a lot of payoff

I mainly made this for myself because item piles have become so ingrained in my thinking that I can't play without them, and yet they could be argued to be a cheat or at the bare minimum, cheese.

I decided to release this since virtually every guide recommends item hoarding and I want to discourage this form of degenerate gameplay.

This mod does that in it's current form, albeit in a somewhat unrealistic way. Massively overhauling it doesn't really benefit it's intended purpose (since it already solves the problem) and is likely to make it significantly more complex and buggy.

I might consider more realistic ways of taking items in the future, and the possibility of the player having to take some sort of risk or pay some sort of price to get their items back, but it's definitely not on the radar.
Page: 1/7▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact