66451d1c4a8aa

66451d1c4b007
1 Guest is here.

66451d1c4bbceRocketMan

66451d1c4bc48
If it weren't for the technical limitations of these old games and their tools, we might have a greater abundance of talent working on them.  Instead we have to "re-invent the wheel" 80% of the time lol.

On the other hand it may be premature for someone with my [lack of] knowledge and experience to knock the engine/tools.  I really don't understand how they work.  I was just lucky enough to figure out the formula TO make them work... most of the time ;)

66451d1c4bfa8unn_atropos

66451d1c4c006
While I appreciate the work and effort that went into rebirth, it would be really amazing to have a new mod that sticks a bit closer to the original design.
That would be the next big achievement/milestone after NewDark, and SCP.

66451d1c4c0c9RocketMan

66451d1c4c11a
We need to start up a recruiting thread, officially calling out for talent or something.  I bet there are a bunch of people lurking who could do work but just never thought to step forward.

66451d1c4c259voodoo47

66451d1c4c2a7
the Eng subforum sticky links all current mod requests, but I'd imagine not many people actually read it.
66451d1c4c58b
How about handing out artificially generated catgirls to anyone who contributes to modding?

About the rebirth model. The only tool ( I know) to convert from (mesh) bin to another format is the one from shadowspawn. Apparently it doesn't convert it correctly. There even is an option to manually correct the ankles, but that is just inputting some value, so it could also be done in some editor directly.

So what's left now is to just manually edit the ankles, elbows and knees to get them somewhat close to the original.

66451d1c4c66bvoodoo47

66451d1c4c6ba
well, hope it works out in the end, whatever dark methods you may have to use - having the Rebirth hybrid models with proper joints would surely be nice, no more hacky dml stuff to get the SCP muzzle flash placed properly, for example.

also, I would seriously have little problem throwing catgirls, booze or even money around as long as it would result in a proper close-to-the-orig-concept set of hires AIs.
« Last Edit: 18. March 2015, 19:21:34 by voodoo47 »

66451d1c4c78fRocketMan

66451d1c4c7db
A poll might help. 

1) I don't think that feature has EVER been used as long as I've been here.  It's probably broken :P

2) People like to be engaged.  Polls are interactive and invite dialog from participants.

66451d1c4c95cvoodoo47

66451d1c4c9bb
had a thorough look at the Rebirth models, and surely enough, all of them have broken/missing finger joints. this causes problems with every model that is set up to do something/launch something from the finger joints - like the midwife, the shotgun hybrid, and the grenade hybrid as well (technically, not yet, as the grenade hybrid launches its grenades from the abdomen at the moment, but I would like to set it to the fingers for the next SCP release).

anyway, I can fix the midwife and the grenade hybrid via dml/NVscript, setting the launch joints to the wrist, but while this is good enough for those two, it's not completely cutting it for the shotgun hybrid.

ok, the point is - if you are (painstakingly) trying to restore one of the Rebirth models to have proper joints, then the shotgun hybrid should have the priority.

tried to contact the author of the Rebirth models (again) with the intention of asking him for the source files, but no reply so far so don't hold your breath.

66451d1c4ca74RocketMan

66451d1c4cac1
If Olfred's down, I'll work with him on the shotty.  Maybe he can deal with the stuff that's broken due to the conversion tools and I can do the rigging, since I'm getting comfortable with that.
66451d1c4cba9
You need help with selecting parts of a model and moving them out a bit?

Have you spoken with PinkDot yet?

66451d1c4cce9RocketMan

66451d1c4cd3b
Not with that, no.  From my understanding (according to his post), he created a 3ds Max script of some sort.  I must concede I know less than nothing about how to use such a script, even if it did work on Max 7.  I suppose I could ask him but he might have to hold my hand and write me baby instructions or make me a video or something because I'm pretty useless with these sorts of things.  I suppose I haven't done my due diligence though so I'll see if I can contact him.
66451d1c4ce4c
I've checked the thread again today. Apparently his script is just an interface to bintoe and eto3ds.
So it wouldn't help out much. I guess there is no need to contact him, then.

Did you manage to get the tools running again, or should I convert some models to 3ds?

66451d1c4cee0RocketMan

« Last Edit: 23. March 2015, 16:10:48 by RocketMan »

66451d1c4d04eRocketMan

66451d1c4d09a
The tools are "hit and miss" for me.  Usually on the first attempt using the frontend, it almost never works without producing an error.  Then when I go to DOS and start doing the steps 1 at a time, it'll work but what I get out is a bunch of triangles that aren't welded.  I then attempt to weld them all with a very small tolerance and sometimes that works but it's a crap shoot.  Usually I'll end up welding something unintended and it will screw up the UV on the model.  Then there's what happened with the droid casket.. you remember that right?  That was messed up and I have no explanation for it.  Simply put, something's broke on my end and doing a fresh install hasn't fixed it.  Still root-causing it.
66451d1c4d1c2
I stopped using this tool a long time ago since I had problems every know and then. Nowadays I use the DOS-Prompt together with the newest version of shadowspawns FreeTheObjects.
Maybe you are using an old version of it?

66451d1c4d265RocketMan

66451d1c4d2af
I suspected the same, which prompted me to update more regularly.  I think I'm all caught up but I'll check once more just to be sure.
66451d1c4d3a2
Well, if you still have problems, just give me a list of models you need converted and I will do the task.
Or... write myself a batch script to do it... :D
Acknowledged by: RocketMan

66451d1c4d472RocketMan

66451d1c4d4bd
Sighh... what a mess.  This isn't going well.  Hate to ask, but if you can just give me the shotty model for now that'd be great.  It seems to be Voodoo's top AI priority anyway and I'm done fighting with the mesh for 1 day.  As before, all I need is a clean 3ds file with welded verts and nothing strange going on.  Sorry.

It seems to be mostly Rebirth stuff that causes problems for me.  I didn't have any trouble with the Goggles MP model, the droid or Nurse Bloome.

66451d1c4d5a1voodoo47

66451d1c4d5ed
just to be clear - it would be great to have all three hybrid models fixed (and awesome to have them ALL fixed - midwife, monkeys, assassin, even the rumbler). but should this prove to be too much pita and we would end up with just one fixed model as result, then that one model should be the shotgun hybrid.

66451d1c4d6a1RocketMan

66451d1c4d6ec
Given sufficient time, I can rig them all but first we have to sort out the issue of not breaking them first.  I just got an email from Pinky so I might get some help coming within 24hrs.  Will keep you posted.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
66451d1c4d7e6
Sorry, I was busy the last few days.

Here is the shotgun hybrid.
Again with the same problem as the model before :/
[grunt_s.3ds expired]

66451d1c4d8a5RocketMan

66451d1c4d8ef
Thanks.  I got a version from PinkDot as well but haven't looked at it in detail yet.  Let me go over both of these tonight and see what's what.  Maybe his version didn't suffer.  We'll see.  What anomalies did you notice?  Something about the knees?
66451d1c4d9c5
Same as the model before, elbows, knees and ankle are pushed together.

66451d1c4da6avoodoo47

66451d1c4dab3
guys, no need to set the expiration date on tiny attachments in this topic - they might come in handy sometime in the future. the function is meant mostly for big images of low importance.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

What does the U.N.N start with?:
1 Guest is here.
It looks like Korean, Mike.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66451d1c4dbef