6646c7ba742f9

6646c7ba747a6
1 Guest is here.

6646c7ba751b0
I can understand the box part, but why do you want to have the same UV space on all sides of the pipe?. The way it is in the current fixed model you can even apply shadowy parts.

About the basket. Since the original texture for the net was messy I made a new one (based of the old one). Which is inluded.
Then I made a model for the original texture with a lit number (basket_l.bin). It's up to you to devide which one you want to incorporate into SCP.

For the SHTUP model I tweaked around with the net a bit to make it look more seamingless.

Oh yeah, and I modeled a ring for both on par with the broken model.

6646c7ba75585ZylonBane

6646c7ba75607
I can understand the box part, but why do you want to have the same UV space on all sides of the pipe?. The way it is in the current fixed model you can even apply shadowy parts.
I'm not sure what you're asking or what you mean by shadowy parts. I just want it to look like the original does when viewed from a distance, without looking horrible when viewed close up. So, light grey rings running around the length of the pipes. The face I highlighted is one of the few where the modeler textured it correctly, instead of the insane repetition used on the other faces. That's what I meant by "like this".
6646c7ba75799
Oh, ok. I opened up the original model and did a comparison between your texture and the original one. And even though your texture is like 90° turned in opposite to the original one, they still turn out to look the same.
As the whole UV map was messed up I decided to turn it into a straight pipe, like you can see it now on the "olfred version".

So how should I make the non SHTUP version now?

6646c7ba75879ZylonBane

6646c7ba758cb
Like above. SHTUP version will not be different. The goal is to match the original look.

This model is usually used upside-down, so the "pipes" look like they're dangling. So it makes sense for them to look like they're some kind of flexible corrugated material.
6646c7ba759dd
gang.bin and gangf.bin.
shtup hose1.* texture needs to be rotated to resemble vanilla one.

6646c7ba75fe6ZylonBane

6646c7ba76041
About the basket. Since the original texture for the net was messy I made a new one (based of the old one). Which is inluded.
Then I made a model for the original texture with a lit number (basket_l.bin). It's up to you to devide which one you want to incorporate into SCP.
New hoop looks great. There's a problem with the net though. Dark's renderer really hates textures that are stretched into non-square shapes-- it causes them to warp and snap when any vertex of their polygon crosses a screen edge. So when you look at and away from the basketball net, it jumps around quite a bit. Really the only solution is to keep the texels square, and compensate for it in the texture.

gang.bin and gangf.bin.
Looking good. Only thing that needs to be fixed on both models is that only one of the boxes is textured correctly around its perimeter. On the other box, two sides are blank and on the other two sides there's a stripe running in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: 20. October 2014, 05:18:21 by ZylonBane »
6646c7ba766ea
Really the only solution is to keep the texels square, and compensate for it in the texture.
I don't quite understand you, are you saying that the surface ingame should match the surface in the UV map?

Looking good. Only thing that needs to be fixed on both models is that only one of the boxes is textured correctly around its perimeter. On the other box, two sides are blank and on the other two sides there's a stripe running in the wrong direction.
So you want to have the lower boxes textures arranged like the upper boxes one?
I just kept it true to the original.

6646c7ba76ab6ZylonBane

6646c7ba76b0d
I don't quite understand you, are you saying that the surface ingame should match the surface in the UV map?
I'm saying:

So for something like a basketball net (or any kind of conic section), if you want perfect texturing, it's pretty much unavoidable to have some wasted space in the texture map, because you can't just stretch it to fit. Dark hates warped textures.

So you want to have the lower boxes textures arranged like the upper boxes one?
I just kept it true to the original.
Well, yeah. I think we're all agreed that the original texturing sucked.  O_o
6646c7ba76c71
So what I said, ok.

Changed it so the surface isn't warped on the UV map anymore, or at least, as little as I could do.
Also modified the texture for SHTUP to match the UV layout. Strangely the texture looks all messed up in ShockEd, but ingame it looks fine. Maybe ZylonBane knows what's up.

As for the gang* models. Two sides have a mirrored texture so the vanilla texture looks seamingless.
If you want a non mirrored for SHTUP just tell me and I will make them.

6646c7ba76e6bZylonBane

6646c7ba76ebe
Thanks, I'll take a look at these after work.

Another model I just noticed could use a tweak is the Sandman Audio sign on earth. If you look closely at it, you'll see that the edges of the sign are textured the same as the front and back faces. I'm not sure what to do about it though. Ideally, it would look like the blue stripes were wrapping around the sides, but there isn't any clean vertical strip of that pattern present in the texture. I suppose I could provide you with a custom texture to be used for the sides and top/bottom.
6646c7ba76fab
Maybe this is good enough.

6646c7ba77208ZylonBane

6646c7ba7725c
Maybe this is good enough.
It is!  :thumb:

All four models look great. I'm marking them as done in the first post.
6646c7ba77345
Good.

Did you found out what was wrong with the basm texture?

6646c7ba773f0ZylonBane

6646c7ba7744f
I'm not aware that anything is wrong with it, other than its texture probably should have been created using something like LithUnwrap. "Fortunately", it's so low-res you can barely notice the breaks in the net.
6646c7ba77567
No I was talking about the SHTUP one I edited to match the new UV mapping. Ingame it looks normal, but  in ShockEd it looks messed up.

The low res (kind of vanilla) one is so low res that it's not really editable to match.

6646c7ba77605ZylonBane

6646c7ba77656
Ah, I hadn't given much thought to the SHTUP texture. No idea why it would look different in ShockEd. That's something I'll have to get back to later.

6646c7ba778efSystem Shocked

6646c7ba77945
Here's a pic of the two gang models and your most current version. Requested modifications indicated.

Just wanted to point out that the left-most wire hub block connects to the wall over top of a light fixture, which looks weird.

6646c7ba779ebZylonBane

6646c7ba77a3a
I'll be sure to correct the throwaway scene that I made just for that screenshot right away.

6646c7ba77ba7ZylonBane

6646c7ba77bf3
I just noticed that on the updated nanocan.bin (nanite tank) the computer screen on the front isn't self-lit anymore.

6646c7ba77f07voodoo47

6646c7ba77f58
checked the latest batch of models, all are a go as far as I can see. will pack them up and upload as v09, unless ZB has something to add..?

6646c7ba7802fZylonBane

6646c7ba78083
I was just thinking that SHTUP's large conference table model would be a nice addition. Years ago someone fixed that so the green lights aren't in the wrong position anymore.

...I really need to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the overlap between SHTUP and the fixed model pack.  O_o

6646c7ba78123voodoo47

6646c7ba78172
so it would seem. never a free lunch, remember?

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

In which year was System Shock 2 released:
1 Guest is here.
She was seen as something like SHODAN’s secret police; brutal and intelligent enough to interrogate people
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6646c7ba7828e