🔒 Dreamcast beta of System Shock 2 port found - UPDATE: Source files found

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/7▶▶
6637d73205388
KolyaQuote
As has been posted on TTLG, a guy who goes by the handle of game_player_s has apparently found a beta version of a Dreamcast port of System Shock 2 on a second hand bought developer HD. Plus files belonging to a Dreamcast port of Thief.
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2047

So far none of these contents have been made available yet, possibly they haven't even been retrieved from the HD yet. All there is right now, is a file listing of the relevant folders: http://www.segaforums.com/psoarchive/dc/
6637d732058ba
EnchantermonQuote
Nice!
6637d73205a1f
ZylonBaneQuote
Holy cow!

Don't see anything that resembles source files though.
6637d73205b91
EnchantermonQuote
True, but perhaps some of those MIS files are unstripped; maybe we can finally have the complete collection of unstripped files.
Plus, as RocketMan mentioned on TTLG, perhaps the owner could even run data recovery on the drive and see what else he could pull off of there. If the Dark source was on there at one time and hasn't been overwritten, maybe it could be recovered. It's a long shot, but possible, is it not?
6637d73205d72
KolyaQuote
I also looked for source files first, but it doesn't look like it and considering the nature of this port, I think there wouldn't have to be any. It seems this would have been a port running on Windows CE (under DirectX 6). During the 2 years time of cooperation between Sega and Microsoft there was this idea that PC apps could be easily ported this way. But the WinCE environment didn't take full account of the Dreamcast's capabilities and the few games that were ported this way (usually preloading WinCE themselves before the actual game) ran quite laggy, especially compared to games developed specifically for the DC. So that might be a reason why the port was canceled.
And it might mean that the files are not much more than a regular SS2 install plus some WinCE and DC specific files. Of course there's no way to be sure without having access to the data. Even just a different build of shock2.exe could get the right people some clues. And yeah, unstripped missions would be nice and who knows what else is out there..
Well as you may have seen, I asked game_player_s friendly but firmly to put up an untampered archive, explaining our cause as good as I could. There were also some suggestions on the dreamcast-talk board to create a DC bootable SS2 game and sell it (for "donations"). If we ever get the full archive it might take a while.
Page: 1/7▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact