6649345ca00fb

6649345ca0688
1 Guest is here.

6649345ca0d82
So, got into SS2 and all, applied quite some mods, smooth playthrough so far, just came back from Deck 4.1.
The matter is, the way weapons are portrayed kinda annoys me. I can understand 12-rounder pistols and assault rifles with 36-round mags..
But shotguns with the capacity of carrying 12 shells? Kinda too much for me.
So I went ahead and edited the .gamesys from SCP-beta4 and saved it, overriding the one I had before.
I did make a backup and all, don't worry, restoring proper functionality is of no issue.
Here's how loading a save after that goes:
Edits work fine, didn't even have to do anything with the weapons already in the inventory, just reloading them applied all the changes just fine.
However all sounds coming from entities stop working completely. No footsteps, no weapons sounds, nothing.
Music, ambient and UI sounds work just fine.

So uhh, any advice on how to actually tackle this self-imposed "task"?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not new to modding games in general, but am quite new to working with this engine and the stuff it does is rather weird lmao

SS2ND2.48, tools are installed, a modlist is present which I can attach if it's needed to debug this.

On an unrelated note..
Is there a Discord server around SS2 modding or something? Sticking to forums like this takes me a bit too far back in time for my liking lol
« Last Edit: 27. July 2020, 23:07:39 by AyyKyu »

6649345ca0f16voodoo47

Re: Editing Weapons mid-playthrough - sound issue, looking for proper ways
6649345ca0f66
you cannot edit the gamesys without loading a map.

also, dmls are ideal for such tiny tweaks, no need to hard-edit the gamesys, for the very reason your post exist.
6649345ca13d8
you cannot edit the gamesys without loading a map.
So that means I have to load a map to safely edit a gamesys file? Because I was able to, well, just edit it by simply starting ShockEdit and feeding it a gamesys to work with, doing the edits and then saving the file.

Or did you mean that I have to restart the playthrough or load into a new undiscovered map? I did try going between maps in-game after doing the edits, sound issues persisted.

Also, I did try looking into the DML files, but without a UI to work with nor an easily accessible database of available tweaks to apply I was left kind of clueless.

6649345ca1515voodoo47

6649345ca1564
yes, to edit a gamesys without breaking it straight away, a map must be loaded into the editor. it still doesn't mean you can't break it later by improper edits though (most gamesys changes will be applied to a current playtrough/a save, but not all), but loading just the gamesys will simply not work.

hence, dmls, which are very safe.
6649345ca21b6
yes, to edit a gamesys without breaking it straight away, a map must be loaded into the editor. it still doesn't mean you can't break it later by improper edits though (most gamesys changes will be applied to a current playtrough/a save, but not all), but loading just the gamesys will simply not work.

hence, dmls, which are very safe.
Alright, I was able to get the tweaks working through the crude and simple gamesys edit way. Loaded the very first playable level of the game after the tutorial as a "background" for the editor, did the tweaks, touching only the mag sizes and some weapons' firing mode related data. Saved it like the usual, loaded the save in-game, sound is back and everything is working properly. Hopefully, no issues should arise to come bite me on the rear later down the line. Thanks for helping out on this one.
1 Guest is here.
Don't step on corn! Flag the corn.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6649345ca233a