664906c2b6af2

664906c2b717c
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Model Import Problems Read 809 times  

664906c2b75d4Paynamia

664906c2b763c
So, basically, I'm trying to modify the rebirth cyborg midwife model to look more like the original, and I'm going absolutely insane.

First, I've been trying to use 3ds to bin, which seems amazingly broken. I tried using it to export a .3ds, and it gives me a type mismatch error. Ultimately, I used bin2e and n3ds2e.
So, I got the 3ds, and started editing it. Modelling the hair and editing the face took about ten minutes. Hours after that, I'm pretty sure I got the planes and stuff right.
So, I try 3ds to bin again. I open the 3ds, and save to .e with no problems. When I try to compile it, however, meshbld gives this:

Which doesn't seem to be any help, because I can't figure out what poly 1495 is.

Here's the .3DS file, too.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sEWs6lM9JCqdrYdh3ma12T_lUn24g50r/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas what's wrong?

664906c2b79b2RocketMan

664906c2b7a0a
First, you should use the front-end to bring the model back to bin format.  Second, when it throws errors, 99% of the time it's because of the vertices being too close and not welded or from polygons being very close or very skinny.  You should ensure closed/welded polys on the entire model and keep the polygons as "square" as possible.  Also if you go beyond about 2000 polygons, it's not prohibited or anything but the probability of having errors goes up a lot.  Also if it's an AI mesh, the position and angle of the planes will cause errors too.  I usually leave them untouched or merely nudge them.  Don't try to just put them anywhere.

664906c2b7b1ePaynamia

664906c2b7b73
I was using the frontend to bring it back to .bin, but the frontend calls meshbld which is where the issue was occuring.
Anyway, I seem to have gotten it figured out. I took a break, ate a candy bar and calmed down a bit, and when I came back, I finally noticed meshbld.log, which had vertex locations in it. I plugged them into Blender, got one of the problematic vertexes and noticed what I'd done wrong.
I'm using modified planes from a Thief 2 model, since I don't have pre-made planes for any SS2 models, and I missed changing some planes around the pelvis. Some of the vertices were outside any planes.
I've got the output now, I just haven't tested it ingame.
664906c2b7f3e
I'm trying to modify the rebirth cyborg midwife model to look more like the original,

I'd like to see the result at some point, if only a screenshot.  :thumb:

664906c2b839dPaynamia

664906c2b83f3
Well, if I can figure out what's going on here, I might be able to release it today.
https://i.imgur.com/wqyzsi1.png
As you can see, some vertices on the arms are just not okay. Problem is, I'm not even totally sure which vertices those are. The neck is a little off, too, but that's not so hard to deal with, I think.

EDIT: Yeah, I can't figure out what's going on with that. Nothing I do seems to change it. I'll come back to it another time and try again. 3DS file in the first post has been updated to the latest, working version in case someone else wants to try to fix it.

EDIT2: Found it:
« Last Edit: 16. August 2020, 22:52:24 by Paynamia »
Acknowledged by: Kolya
1 Guest is here.
Remember that the player's body is spherical (as far as the game knows)
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664906c2b84e2