6637934fd466c
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSR Classic music mod Read 3444 times  

6637934fd5298Nameless Voice

6637934fd5309
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppG940UBUs

Yes, it's possible.
Quite a bit of hassle, but possible.

Now, the real debate is which version or remix of the music should I be using for this mod?

I don't think the original midi audio would fit (though maybe one of the soundfont-rendered versions), so perhaps some remix?  Maybe the Chicajo mixes?

This example is the Medical bonus track from the Mac CD version, but that source only has Medical and Reactor.

In theory I could make different versions, but it's a bit of fiddly work to set this up.

1) Each level has a number of different audio sequences and rules for playing them.  For this, I modified the list and removed all but one and made it play always.
2) The sequences will happily play over each other multiple times if you don't set the repeat timing correctly, and the repeat timing is in "time measures", with no real context as to what those are
3) Each level also has a "BPM" value, but it doesn't seem to relate in an obvious way to the time measure.  Medical has a BPM of 55, but the time measure seems to be a little over four seconds.
4) I then had to create a new music asset (which I made by creating a new project in UE4.27, adding the music file, packaging the project, extracting the packed music file from the new pak file, then editing the extracted file to match the parameters for SSR.
5) I then had to modify the level audio sequence to use this new music resource instead.
6) And finally package it all up in a new patch pak.
7) Edit the volume of the level's music (it was set to only play at 25% volume for Medical.)

That's a quick summary, it took a while to figure out how to do all of that, but should at least be quicker for future attempts.

In any case, I've attached a version of the mod for Medical.  I haven't done much testing, so I wouldn't be surprised if strange things happen when entering/returning from Cyberspace or other decks.

To use, go to "System Shock Remake\SystemShock\Content\Paks\", create a subdirectory named "~mods", and drop the pak in there.
[SS1ClassicMusic-Medical_P.pak expired]
« Last Edit: 01. June 2023, 23:06:30 by Nameless Voice »
Acknowledged by 4 members: ZylonBane, ThiefsieFool, Chandlermaki, voodoo47

6637934fd5489voodoo47

6637934fd54d9
oh yes, I like this. almost makes me want to install the game. almost (going to wait for the first big patch).

anyway yeah, some updated version of the music would be the best, though the sound blaster awe32 gold output was pretty damn awesome, and I think it would actually be good enough for this purpose, most likely (music comparison video was somewhere on youtube).

6637934fd55a5Nameless Voice

6637934fd560d
One thing I noticed is that the music drowns out the emails/audio logs if played at 100%.

On the one hand, I'm a bit surprised that they don't automatically lower the volume of the music while logs are playing, but on the other hand the default music playback volume was 25%, so I guess they didn't see it as necessary.

6637934fd5c99Xkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
6637934fd5cf1
Nameless Voice
Looks awesome, if you are looking for a version of the music to use, this is a recommendation for me

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsUzRsxvwpYq_5nIrNt9sVgnvCUKaQwDg

It is very good, very similar to the original but updated

I would do it myself but idk if I would get it right

I know you said you use FModel and UAssetGUI
« Last Edit: 02. June 2023, 18:05:06 by Xkilljoy98 »
Acknowledged by: Toaste
6637934fd5ede
Now, the real debate is which version or remix of the music should I be using for this mod?

Just some stuff I've recalled when was watching this video. Really hoped for the remake ost to be something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4UGpe7nSIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eGL-MxS4lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHg-E1JMKiQ

6637934fd671dXkilljoy98

6637934fd67c0
So I have been messing around with this and I think I know what to do, just need to put in practice

What I wanna do with this

1. Make the Music in game sound louder
2. Make a mod with the original System Shock Music, probably gonna use the Mickey Wilson covers but could use a number of them
3. I also wanna add in the cut tracks and put them in the game somewhere

Also for ease of use, I am gonna put a message you put in another thread so the useful info doesn't get lost
For anyone interested in modding the game, I've been using three tools:

1) FModel lets you browse Unreal pak files and view or export the data inside.
2) UAssetGUI lets you edit packaged Unreal asset files.
3) A tool helpfully named "Asset Editor", which has a handy option for create patch pak files without having to do it on the command line.  While the other two are their top search results, I have no idea where you'd find this for download (I got it off @ThiefsieFool)

Also gonna link a thread I made messing around with the Demo files as an alt way to do it:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=12206.0

I figured out how to extract files from the Remake Demo

1. Download the Unreal Engine (I used the most recent one (5.1) which seems to work but idk if it matters, 4.27.0 if you wanna use the one it was built in)

2. Open the command prompt

3. Go to the unreal files and find UnrealPak.exe (which is found at ...\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64)

4. Drag and drop UnrealPak.exe to the command prompt and hit space

5. Go to the System Shock Remake Demo files and find SystemShock-Windows.pak (which is found at ....\System Shock Demo\SystemShock\Content\Paks) and copy it to another folder

6. Drag SystemShock-Windows.pak to the command prompt and hit space

7. Type: -Extract and then hit space

8. Create a folder to put the extracted files in and drag the folder to the command prompt

9. Hit enter (may take a couple hits) and then it will all be extracted to that folder

Here is a video that I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AElxgCRXF64

To convert the files to another format, use something like umodel

I still need to view all of the stuff or figure out how to mod it, I tried to open the project folder but it said it needed C++ and the files are saved in an unreal file type so still working on looking at it but I wanted to share how to do it so others can do the same

6637934fd6a84sarge945

6637934fd6ae1
Are gameplay mods possible?

I would like to make a mod to prevent the game disabling spawning entirely when deck security is 0%. Obviously it should slow down, but not stop completely.

ALSO, for the music mod stuff, I feel like it will work better if the tracks are mixed in a way that's more ambient and dark/slow, rather than just porting over existing versions, because the remake is quite a bit darker than the original, so a more tense, scarier soundtrack makes sense.

6637934fd6b8eNameless Voice

6637934fd6bdb
Some are, depends on which parts of the system are written in C++ vs which ones are in Blueprints.

I don't have the skill to make remixes of the soundtrack.

6637934fd706bXkilljoy98

6637934fd70cc
Are gameplay mods possible?

I would like to make a mod to prevent the game disabling spawning entirely when deck security is 0%. Obviously it should slow down, but not stop completely.

ALSO, for the music mod stuff, I feel like it will work better if the tracks are mixed in a way that's more ambient and dark/slow, rather than just porting over existing versions, because the remake is quite a bit darker than the original, so a more tense, scarier soundtrack makes sense.

I mean it isn't that darker, scarier, or more tense

Tho a music mod that mixes the original tracks into the existing ones could be neat

Tho in any case the final version is less darker than previous demos and plus playing the game with the original music works better than you think it would

Some are, depends on which parts of the system are written in C++ vs which ones are in Blueprints.

I don't have the skill to make remixes of the soundtrack.

Thankfully a lot of people have already made remixes and covers

6637934fd7182Xkilljoy98

6637934fd71db
Since SSR General is now open, I wonder if this should move there, or stay here since it is in progress though it does have a file.

6637934fd7270Nameless Voice

6637934fd72c6
Probably stay here as it's a work-in-progress.

6637934fd75f8Deu sex

6637934fd766c
Xkilljoy98
Holy cow that sounds great!!
I was going to recommend my rendition but honestly that playlist blows it out of the water lol, much more suited for a pre-recorded material.

Damn that sounds good, how could I not stumble on this sooner?
(truth to be told after listnening to the entire thing, it would need some modifications, some parts sound a bit too present for an actual in game use, still a kicker though!)
« Last Edit: 07. June 2023, 13:00:08 by Deu sex »

6637934fd79a1Xkilljoy98

6637934fd7a03
Deu sexYeah IK?, we had an interview with him when it came out, one of my fav SS1 covers/remixes

Very true to the original, but enhanced as well

The security track especially is one of my favs

Now you see why I wanna use those versions for SSR as I think it would be a good fit, I just need to figure out how

6637934fd7c74Deu sex

6637934fd7cc9
Xkilljoy98
The best possible thing in the world, is if we could contact the guy and if he hopefully still has the sources, maybe going for a volume rebalance and a reduction in reverb effects (for better in game sounds distinctions), maybe adapt them for smooth loopings as well, and a tempo reduction since the actual in game tracks are slower than the arranged OST, and that would be just perfect!
So we would get his work for the remake, and I'd still use mine for the OG, the dream!
Still going to recommend mine here even though it's already on the shock forums, maybe suitable for a track or 2? https://youtu.be/hSA9MlmCr0s
« Last Edit: 07. June 2023, 13:33:46 by Deu sex »

6637934fd7dd2Nameless Voice

6637934fd7e21
I think for the initial attempt, I'll just use the midi sounds rendered with a soundfont.  We can make other variants once everything is working.

I was poking about with the audio volumes.  As far as I can see, it's supposed to automatically lower the volume of the music when a voice over is playing, but it doesn't seem to actually work.

6637934fd80e4Xkilljoy98

6637934fd813d
Deu sexYeah, IDK if he has the source files, I am sure he does, but you would need to ask and these days that is only done via his website
https://mickey-wilson.com/

He has given permission to use his music for a mod

If we can get the source files we would have more to work with assuming they are in segments and all, but even if not I still think with the final tracks something can be made

6637934fd834dXkilljoy98

6637934fd83a9
Nameless VoiceThat also works, tbh as long as a version is made then that is good, after that we can swap out the tracks and make different versions

6637934fd860aDeu sex

6637934fd8664
Nameless Voice
Okay then well, if you want to use a soundfont, then please by all saints use mine! I worked years on it!
Note that you would preferrably play the in game midi tracks instead of the arranged OST (even though the arranged OST still sounds really good) because some volume balance are better with the in game tracks, and also the in game tracks have the correct tempo (the arranged OST has a much faster tempo).
« Last Edit: 07. June 2023, 14:10:10 by Deu sex »

6637934fd891fDeu sex

6637934fd8973
He has given permission to use his music for a mod

Well that's promising allright! Maybe he would be interested in doing the arrangements himself? (that would be even better)

6637934fd8b3eXkilljoy98

6637934fd8b9d
Deu sexHmm maybe, you'd have to ask if you can make segments or do any changes, though we might just have to work with what we have

6637934fd8cd0Deu sex

6637934fd8d1e
Oh I just recalled, in case you really want to use my soundfont with the arranged OST and not the in game tracks (for some reason), you're going to need the complete thing and not just the selected instruments, so here it is: https://mega.nz/file/jshBTLbZ#JZKCppCM7hC1MQVixuPFmRRgV6OCUWEJn-ocM0Qzfng

Note that volumes can be a bit over the place since even the full General MIDI set is balanced for in game play, I was mixing in real time on my second monitor when I was recording my video lol.

6637934fd8e10Nameless Voice

6637934fd8e68
Attempt #2.  Seems kind of buggy.
The music works fine on some decks (like Reactor and Research), doesn't seem to work at all on Maintenance (except sometimes it plays the music from Research?), seems to play the wrong music on Flight...  I don't know.  Must be some part of the system I don't understand.
[NVClassicMusic_P.pak expired]

6637934fd8f22Xkilljoy98

6637934fd8f72
Interesting, I wonder what causes all of that?

Maybe deck music settings?
« Last Edit: 07. June 2023, 19:04:15 by Xkilljoy98 »

6637934fd908fNameless Voice

6637934fd90e1
I was testing this using the Backer Beta (since I don't have handy saves for all the decks on the official release yet), so maybe the music wasn't fully set up in the beta, or there's some other incompatibility there?

There's also the other annoying thing, that the original game midi files tended to have the music in the wrong order, with some tracks having the first half of the music play before the second half.  Kind of noticeable on some decks.  Especially on Medical (which is why this still uses the Mac mix version, rather than one made from a midi.)

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

What does the U.N.N start with?:
1 Guest is here.
James Bond is an operative, not a spy.
Page: [1] 2 »
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6637934fd9213