66492ea0388f8

66492ea038e40
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Dark Engine - Oculus Rift Read 5099 times  

66492ea039628
Oculus Rift is VR headgear that low latency motion tracking and stereoscopic 3d.

Here is the site for more info:
http://www.oculusvr.com/

I think, this would be a great addition to every first person immersive game, especially games like Thief, Thief 2 and System Shock 2 (System Shock 2 with headphones on, it'd be just like you are there... it'd be amazingly horrifying.)

I'm planning on ordering the devkit for this, and I'm really considering trying to develop a way for this to work well with Dark Engine games, do you guys think this would be a possibility? Would this be something anyone else would consider working on or want?

66492ea039804voodoo47

66492ea039857
considering the tiny size of the modding community, I doubt that someone would want to actively go for it, but we will provide all the help/info we can, should you really try working on it.
66492ea0399b4
This is the best gaming related news i've heard in a long time, I hope it is a possibility.

66492ea039d62RocketMan

66492ea039db3
If you know what you're doing and have the motivation to develop support for this game that'd be fantastic but what do you need to know to figure out if you can even do it?
66492ea039ecf
I'm not sure if it's possible yet, it's going to require extensive research and I'd have to wait for the devkit to test it obviously. Waiting for the devkit in the coming months will give me time to research SS2 and Thief modding. So I can become more accustomed to it. And if anyone is able to point me in the right direction, and even help me on my journey that'd be great, I'd love to work in a team.
66492ea039fae
I'll try to help. No knowledge of DarkEngine, but some 3d coding experience, and most importantly a Rift devkit to test with.

66492ea03a22funn_atropos

66492ea03a284
Is the "Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED headtracker" some kind of competitors to this competitors "Oculus Rift"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC9sBRzlzGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FjqfH2lUt8
66492ea03a39e
Nope. The problem (and the awesomeness) with the Rift is that it uses an extremely wide FOV that is spherical, which means no game can work with it out of the box (but once it does... oh hell).
66492ea03a55c
I'm waiting for my Occulus Rift, I can't think of any better game to make this work on than SS2. Time permitting, I'll see if I can get it working in SS2 once I get access to the SDK.

I can't imagine how it'd be to have the screen covering your FOV as well as it being stereoscopic.

66492ea03a621Malba Tahan

66492ea03a66b
Even though Occulus Rift appears to be awesome, I hope that there will be a way to aim using some sort of hand held device, like a light gun, instead of aiming with your eyes. That is, aiming and looking directions should be independent, otherwise it would be sadly unrealistic.

66492ea03aa41ThiefsieFool

66492ea03aa90
Nope. The problem (and the awesomeness) with the Rift is that it uses an extremely wide FOV that is spherical, which means no game can work with it out of the box (but once it does... oh hell).

That's gonna be tough on performance, but still, why spherical? It's not like you have eyes in the back of your head.
66492ea03abdb
What he means is that it uses very simple and affordable lenses, which have the side-effect of distorting the vision in a spherical manner; the image you would see in an unsupported game that just did side-by-side 3D would be warped. Games that support the Rift will use the Rift SDK to invert that warp in software (well, on the GPU) so that when it comes through the optics, it looks correct.

To properly support the Rift (from a purely visual perspective), your game needs to first support side-by-side 3D, and then support the corrective warping. After that, there's all the motion tracking stuff if you want to actually get your head controlling the viewpoint.
66492ea03ace8
Not exactly sure how vorpx is connected with Oculus Rift, but i think this might be it
http://www.vorpx.com/games/
>System Shock 2 (with DX9 mod)
66492ea03aed2
Would you kindly try it with system shock 2 and make a video of how does it look.
66492ea03afba
I will ask the guy who owns it to try. He's in Sweden.
66492ea03b09d
I'm curious of how does the the aiming and GUI work. Also i find it hard to believe that Oculus Rift support is actually real (wft even "DX9 mod" is?)

66492ea03b172unn_atropos

66492ea03b1c0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVG3jRNmT0
News or cold coffe?
Only criticism he has is HDU scaling, so I asked him if d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay would work.

66492ea03b269voodoo47

66492ea03b2c7
so it looks like it's finally time to get those goggles, so we can experience the world of Goggles watching through his goggles while wearing goggles.. dawg.
66492ea03b46c
The screen boundaries really kills the immersion for me.
There is also this weird vertical screen tearing and psi-amp model deformation (needle wire).
1 Guest is here.
Thank you for your patience.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66492ea03b578