66490aba6226b

66490aba62782
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Need help for french sound matching text Read 1079 times  

66490aba62e8cunn_atropos

66490aba62ef6
For quite some time I have been working on a audiolog page for the french version of System Shock 1. My problem is: I don't speak french. Well, a bit french in tongue action, but no real french^^
I already assigned the sounds to the corresponding textes and marked messages that are already corrected with an "X". For example:
Code: [Select]
Sound02 x
23 SHODAN-23 Expèditeur: S.H.O.D.A.N.
Laser détruit
Je vois qu'il y a encore un insecte en liberté dans ma station...ne te mèprends pas, insecte. Détruire le laser n'a pas préservé ta planète. Je suis en train de concocter un virus mutagène dans une des serres, un virus qui fera de tous les terriens des mutants suppurants, bégayants et pustulants. Quand la Citadel atteindra la Terre, je lƒcherai le virus. Misérables, misérables petits terriens.

But there are messages where written and spoken part differ to much for me to correct it.
That's where you, the french speaking Shock fans are needed! Please have a listen to the sounds and edit the texts when they differ.
When this is done I can paste it all into the audiolog file

The soundfiles are here:
https://www.systemshock.org/shocklogs/sys1_sound.7z
Textfile here:
https://www.systemshock.org/shocklogs/sys1_sound.doc

66490aba63064Briareos H

66490aba630b2
I'm going to give it a go. I'd rather use a text file with the proper encoding though, what's the original charset for the audiolog file? Right now, "à" is shown as "…", "é" as "‚", "ù" as "—" etc.
I'm not sure if I understand properly what you want to make of it, is that a webpage? In that case is it OK to use UTF-8 as an output charset?

66490aba63492unn_atropos

66490aba634e4
It would be great if you could help :)
What I'm trying to make is a audiolog page like this: https://www.systemshock.org/shocklogs/ss1/index.html
It's there for english and german already. French would be a great addition.

About the missing characters: I ripped the text directly from the game files. I started to replace the "broken" characters (and removed A LOT of unneeded stuff), but had problems doing so, because I often don't what letter are missing there  (The only one I figured out was "é" because I know the word été XD. Started to fill it in where it is missing, but there still several to go).

If you want to make the soundmatching text, please just fill in the french letters. For the correct online display I will just replace them with the according html code like I did for the german version (  ä = ä  )

Edit: Just after reading Kolyas post here, it came to my mind, that this also could be used for a soundmatching version of the actuall game. I failed to make a working german version, so I would have to pass this to someone who knowes what he/she/shodan is doing...

66490aba63605Briareos H

66490aba63657
Okay, I finally started working on it. I never expected the French translation of System Shock to be so bad and inconsistent. Heh.

So if I understand correctly, you are building a database of audiologs as a literal transcription of the audio. At least, I'm editing the file based on that assumption. I'm asking because sometimes the audio is even worse than the text version. Why not have both on your site (the actual in-game log plus the audio version and a warning that there might be differences)?

Also, I'm translating the emails but they don't show up on your site, only the logs. Why not? I thought the page would be for comprehensive archiving purposes.
« Last Edit: 05. August 2013, 15:16:07 by Briareos H »

66490aba63dfbunn_atropos

66490aba63e5c
Okay, I finally started working on it. I never expected the French translation of System Shock to be so bad and inconsistent. Heh.

So if I understand correctly, you are building a database of audiologs as a literal transcription of the audio. At least, I'm editing the file based on that assumption.
Yeah it's exactly what you say. This transcript will be used for a audiolog page just like the english and german version.

I'm asking because sometimes the audio is even worse than the text version. Why not have both on your site (the actual in-game log plus the audio version and a warning that there might be differences)?
The audiolog pages are used to present all the messages in the timeline the game gives. And you can use them to re-experience the games story, like a radio play (At least I do that from time to time). In System Shock 1 you can choose to have either abbreviated or detailed texts. I think that it makes sense to have only the version on the page that sticks to what is said. So you can listen and read along.

Also, I'm translating the emails but they don't show up on your site, only the logs. Why not? I thought the page would be for comprehensive archiving purposes.
The mails are not there yet, because I'm not sure about the order they were sent to the player. If I find out, I will add them to every audiolog language.

Another use for the transcribed texts will be to put them into the actual game like SS1 Gigaquad Enhanced log texts mod did for the english version and Wenck for the spanish version.
Acknowledged by: Briareos H

66490aba63f54Briareos H

66490aba63fa6
Got it. Some French audiologs are so much worse (and shorter) than the already shoddy translation that I wonder if anyone will be interested. Still good for the sake of completeness.
I'll try to do 15 or 20 a day so that should go relatively fast.

66490aba64096Briareos H

66490aba640e2
Here you go, I took your .doc file and replaced/fixed most of the text in it so please use this file as a base.
There are a dozen personal notes in the file, mostly concerning audio not found.

http://anodal.org/thief/20130807_001_sys1_sound_FR.doc

66490aba641a6unn_atropos

66490aba641f2
That is awesome! Thank you very much!! XD
Can't wait to start working with it!!!
1 Guest is here.
I might come across very disillusioned but I do crossword searches all night.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66490aba642f4