6649141c1a374

6649141c1a80a
1 Guest is here.

6649141c1ad76
Kornel Kisielewicz from ChaosForge is the guy who created a bunch of great rogue like games, like AliensRL (discussion here on SMA), DoomRL, DiabloRL. He also single handedly wrote the engine that drives all these games.
And he is currently looking for 2d artists, pixel artists and concept artists that can do graphics on a level similar to the DoomRL style (DoomRL screenshots). If you're interested head over to ChaosForge to find out more. And if you just like to play fantastic games that involve you using your head, then check out his creations.
6649141c1b07a
It's kind of odd that he can keep going without any legal issues. I mean he is making money off IP's he clearly doesnt own the rights to, usually not very smart. Maybe i've missed something though and there's some way he gets around it somehow?

Not saying the games are bad though, i bought DoomRL last year, i really enjoy it.. has AliensRL been updated with new graphics yet? Been ages since i checked his site/forum..
6649141c1b1fa
You bought DoomRL? It is available for free on his site. Same as AliensRL and the others. He does ask for donations, which is understandable, given the amount of work that must go into these games and the surrounding site. But you never have to pay for anything as far as I know.

AliensRL has been updated lately, but most of the changes are about the gameplay (hacking, destructible environment, glass walls, etc).
« Last Edit: 09. April 2013, 20:23:06 by Kolya »
6649141c1b39f
To get the latest beta you had to donate a little to get access to it. Maybe he has changed that now though.

He is indeed making money of it, i see that his april goal is $500 for example, quite a few people are donating :) And yes quite a bit of work is put into making free indie games or mods, though most of us arent getting even close to this type of money heh.  I think the most i've made is like $40 from donations (Skyrim, FO:NV mods). I'm just worried he might end up with some legal issues :/

I know for a fact that the owners of the Alien/Aliens IP usually arent too happy about modders using their material, people have tried it before (for example the Quake1 mod) and gotten into trouble, and those people werent even making money of it..

« Last Edit: 10. April 2013, 12:51:07 by vurt »
6649141c1b8d7
I think the most i've made is like $40 from donations (Skyrim, FO:NV mods).

In your profile here on SMA you can add donation links (paypal, amazon wishlist, etc). I encourage every modder to do so. You could also put such links right into your mod posts. Just selling stuff is not allowed.

I know for a fact that the owners of the Alien/Aliens IP usually arent too happy about modders using their material, people have tried it before (for example the Quake1 mod) and gotten into trouble, and those people werent even making money of it..
No idea how it is nowadays but back when lots of games used "Aliens" to varying degrees, without being part of the official franchise, eg Alien Breed and System Shock 2.
6649141c1c3c5
First of all, thank you Kolya for posting this here :).

Not saying the games are bad though, i bought DoomRL last year, i really enjoy it.. has AliensRL been updated with new graphics yet? Been ages since i checked his site/forum..
You'll be happy to know that this is in the works! No idea how long it will take, but eventually AliensRL will have graphics (don't worry Kolya, pure ASCII mode will stay too xP).

To get the latest beta you had to donate a little to get access to it. Maybe he has changed that now though.

It was always like that - it shouldn't be seen as selling something though but supporting -- as what happens in the beta's always finally comes out for everyone for free.

He is indeed making money of it, i see that his april goal is $500 for example, quite a few people are donating :) And yes quite a bit of work is put into making free indie games or mods, though most of us arent getting even close to this type of money heh.  I think the most i've made is like $40 from donations (Skyrim, FO:NV mods). I'm just worried he might end up with some legal issues :/
The $500 goal is rarely reached. Usually it's in the $100-$200 range unless there's a release of something. And if you'd count the time invested versus donations, you'd probably get less than $1/h :P. I'm trying to change that though, moving into the indie sector with an original IP. More news about that will follow in a few months.

DoomRL was safe when Id still owned the IP. Now it's a bit fringy. Still, even if it gets taken down it will generate buzz. As far as AliensRL goes, I'm slowly walking away from the IP, at least to the point where I can tell that Alien Breed does the same infringement. The name will probably change soon too.
6649141c1c817
(don't worry Kolya, pure ASCII mode will stay too xP).

PHEW! ;)
Good luck with what sounds like plans to start your own new game! Looking forward to this.

6649141c1c917
Thanks for the info, looking forward to the update for AliensRL (can't stand ascii ;) ).
1 Guest is here.
I might come across very disillusioned but I do crossword searches all night.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6649141c1c9f8