🔒 GMDX: Deus Ex Mod.

1 Guest is here.
◀◀Page: 87/297▶▶
664867c26967b
voodoo47Quote
just remembered about the dialogue where you can choose whether to give/not give a weapon to the old man that runs the 'ton hotel - either enhancing that dialogue with options of which weapon to give, or having him return the weapon after the Jojo business is done would be nice. alway hated to lose my upgraded pistol just like that (I have to drop everything before the dialogue to give him just the knife to circumvent this).

also, I always hated how weapon pickup is handled - if you already have the same weapon, the new one just disappears and its ammo is added to your stack. I think NOT doing that would be preferable - the player should be allowed to carry 10 pistols should he decide to do that.

I also don't have much love for the DE invisible and intangible ammo pouch, but trying to change that would not be trivial I guess. btw, you didn't forget to empty the pouch when MIBs grab JC and put him into the slammer, right?
664867c269be0
JDoranQuote

Quote by Join usss!:
NPC conversation interactions require voice acting. Who says each individual bum wants your pity? Wouldn't it be odd that each bum accepts your generous offer, says nothing then starts to exit the level? If I cannot implement it to the quality the game deserves then I'll have to refuse. Sorry.

Having the option to give a homeless kid pittance would be fitting if done right, but doing it right is not an option. So it is either do it poorly or not at all.

Good points, and I'd overlooked that they'd need (good) voice acting. Thanks for considering it.

Quote by voodoo47:
also, I always hated how weapon pickup is handled - if you already have the same weapon, the new one just disappears and its ammo is added to your stack. I think NOT doing that would be preferable - the player should be allowed to carry 10 pistols should he decide to do that.

It's not too bad in Deus Ex, as you don't really need more than one of the same kind of weapon, but this same situation is very bad in Deus Ex: Human Revolution because in that game you can sell your weapons, so being able to carry multiple pistols, or shotguns, etc, would save a lot of trips if you're in need of money.

664867c26a21b
Join2Quote

Quote by voodoo47:
just remembered about the dialogue where you can choose whether to give/not give a weapon to the old man that runs the 'ton hotel - either enhancing that dialogue with options of which weapon to give, or having him return the weapon after the Jojo business is done would be nice. alway hated to lose my upgraded pistol just like that (I have to drop everything before the dialogue to give him just the knife to circumvent this).

Anything involving directly modifying writing or dialogue I stay away from if I can help it or if it isn't of great importance. Nearly anything else is game as I feel I am qualified to do it justice.
Anyhow, most of any NPC interactions require voice acting, and anything right down to modifying shop prices is off limits sadly, as the NPC always states the price, and then JC says "I'll have the x item for 1200". And it is the same for this event: "here, take my pistol", or "I'd rather not arm a civilian". So we are stuck with pistol or lesser items such as the knife as you mentioned. I don't think there is dialogue for GEP gun, rifle, assault rifle, shotgun etc.

I also don't have much love for the DE invisible and intangible ammo pouch, but trying to change that would not be trivial I guess.

Things that SS2 handles far more interestingly, in my opinion (and no doubt yours too), and of course in a more simulated manner. To do it I'd have to expand the inventory size to compensate for ammo, and change the whole ammo system in general, including when frobbed from corpses and more. It is something I'd like to do perhaps, but to what cost and benefit? Too much of the former, not enough of the latter.
As much valid criticism that can be thrown at the ammo system it does make general gameplay pace faster as it is less fiddly, which is one bright side at least, depending on your perspective.

btw, you didn't forget to empty the pouch when MIBs grab JC and put him into the slammer, right?

Haven't forgot, I just haven't done it as I've considered it low priority among all my ambitions (and it wouldn't even be a bugfix really, it was obviously intentional). May give it a look tonight.
Giving it some further thought that armory would be stuffed full of JC's magic coat contents if all ammo is placed in there too...I don't think there would be enough space for all the ammo in addition to all the usual inventory contents, so further workarounds would be needed, such as increasing ammo pickup stack sizes just for this, or add a crate that you frob which returns all your ammo. The latter option would probably be best.
664867c26a3bc
voodoo47Quote
if I remember correctly, he will accept pistols, combat knife, and shotgun(s?) - not having any of those will result in a "don't have any (suitable) gun on me, sorry" bark. all the dialogue is there (you can have my knife, you can have my shotgun etc), so this is not a problem (that's exactly why I mentioned it - I'm pretty sure it's just a question of rearranging already existing stuff). or, as mentioned, just make him return the gun once the fight is over. the main point is, should the player choose to arm him, he shouldn't be losing a gun, or be forced into workarounds (plus, should multiple instances of the same gun be allowed in the inventory in the future, he should be given the unupgraded gun of course).

as for the weapons, I think pick ammo on first frob and then the empty weapon on second could work.
664867c26a513
Join2Quote
Currently how it works is upon spawn of a corpse the NPC's ammo is destroyed immediately, just the gun remains so that you can pick it up if you don't have it, and if you do already have it you get ammo randomized between 1-4 bullets instead...so your suggestion would add even more ammo to the game.

As for the arming of Mr. Renton, I'll consider giving it an attempt...if it can even be done. As I mentioned before, the vanilla conversation packages cannot be edited, although I have recently heard of a workaround which I may look into. Not sure how reliable that would be though. You'd think a conversation patch would have been done if it were possible by now.
On a related note, I have been looking into doing first person conversations that imitates the VtM:B/Ultima Underworld/New Vegas style of handling things, and this would be an option to choose if you like the default third person convos.
◀◀Page: 87/297▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact