6647c3129e6c2
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS1src: SS1 source code release Read 9385 times  

6647c3129efa7dertseha

6647c3129f017
°SS1src

"In celebration" of tomorrows update, they released the source code earlier:
https://github.com/NightDiveStudios/shockmac

This is the original source code, apparently for mac. I myself didn't and won't have time for a few hours (days) to verify whether it is only for mac. From an InkyBlackness perspective, this is less relevant as the most of the still unknown details lie in the generic information (level content, actions, ...) which should be readable in the generic part. (I have forked it to IB already.)

At any rate, although a sporty challenge, it is futile to try to port this particular source package, as ND already did that during past months. They are planning to release a cleaned up version for modern systems/compilers "soon" (tm).

[edit]
Heh, poked into one file and found it all with mac-newlines. Sure enough, already two pull requests exist that want to replace it with linux EOL :P
« Last Edit: 20. November 2019, 22:27:14 by Moderator »
Acknowledged by 2 members: fox, JML

6647c3129f148icemann

Re: SS1 source code release
6647c3129f199
Wow it's happened. I'm gobsmacked.

Source for Mac version is out. Now to await the PC version. This is huge.

6647c3129f2b8voodoo47

6647c3129f314
now the best thing to do would be to make sure anyone interested in the SS1 source ends up here - ten work in progress forks is not what we want to end up with.
6647c3129f486
On voodoo's suggestion I moved this board out of storage so SS1 source code discussion could take place here. dertseha is moderator on Deck 13.
Acknowledged by 2 members: dertseha, Join
6647c3129f5fe
So the release of the PC source code is going ahead tomorrow, and as a taster, they've posted up the Mac source code?

That is utterly fantastic!

Thanks for posting this, for those of us who don't use Discord. Please let us know what else NDS say and release in the future, though I presume their big announcement tomorrow will be on a web page, and if so, please post up the URL.
Acknowledged by: dertseha

6647c3129f7acdertseha

6647c3129f7fa
So far it is unclear whether the source port will be released together with tomorrows update:
We will be releasing an updated version in the near future.
Source: Reddit

As far as I understood the various messages & channels, ND want to replace the "enhanced edition" with a build from this source port. There's a message that states people that own the enhanced edition will get a free update for the source port release on same Reddit thread here.

Random unverified, speculative ideas here:
Hence I doubt (personal opinion) that this release will happen now. My skeptical voice even tells me, the'd likely want to cash in a little bit on it first ("Now on Steam sale: SS1-HD!") and then release it a little later. A little bit I even believe that they would like to set up a chain which lets people create pull requests into their repository, which then results in an updated version on Steam (or GOG).

Also:
wow, moderator status. so many buttons. Thank you. Again I'm reminded of the adage "Power is given those that don't want it"  :zen:

6647c3129f901dertseha

6647c3129f955
The release also makes its rounds on Twitter already, with people picking out some gems:
https://twitter.com/StrayBasilisk/status/982069086250262537

(Plus, I'm already advertising this forum/subsection on the various channels)
Acknowledged by 2 members: voodoo47, RoSoDude

6647c3129fb82voodoo47

6647c3129fbd0
reading the Reddit posts from the link two posts above, it looks like the mac code is the only thing they've got, so there is no point in waiting, I guess - we can start planning what to do next right away.
Quote by pripyat_beast DEV - CEO:
It's the only version we could find, but I was told the DOS code is hidden in there

I'm guessing the mac source is complete, and it's possible to port it back to x86, right?

6647c3129fee9dertseha

6647c3129ff71
reading the Reddit posts from the link two posts above, it looks like the mac code is the only thing they've got, so there is no point in waiting, I guess - we can start planning what to do next right away.
I'm guessing the mac source is complete, and it's possible to port it back to x86, right?

I'm still hesitant do start porting this code. First let's wait for their update tomorrow, where they possibly describe when they will make the source port release. I honestly want to avoid doing this legwork that they already did.
My personal first goal at this point is to document the data files and capabilities - i.e., make the ss-specs document as complete as possible. Because then tool developers can refer to that instead of some sources.

I've also created a "welcome" sticky post. After my advertising run on Reddit, GOG forum, Discord, and Twitter, I expect some influx.
Acknowledged by: Kolya

6647c312a00dfvoodoo47

6647c312a012c
right - so I guess the most important question is whether NDS plan to release the updated code, or just updated executables. if it's the former, then yeah, waiting for the updated release is the best thing to do - we don't want to end up with multiple forks of the code if it can be helped.

any tools/editors/other interesting things in the package?

also, maybe we should move all the SS1 stuffs (like this one) to this subforum now.
« Last Edit: 06. April 2018, 15:43:10 by voodoo47 »

6647c312a0555dertseha

6647c312a05a8
any tools/editors/other interesting things in the package?
Unknown. Stephen says, "they found some editor in the sources" (I believe this message was on Discord). Yet, from a cursory glance, I didn't see anything similar. There is the possibility that the engine supports an "edit" mode (think GarysMod), yet for one I doubt that and this needs a deep inspection.
I'll get to this on Saturday (Europe time) earliest - optimistically.

also, maybe we should move all the SS1 stuff (like this one) to this subforum now.
Hm. Where's the line between "Engineering" and "SS1 source port" for editing tools? I'm undecided yet. Though I see the appeal to move my tool threads into my new domain :P

6647c312a0664voodoo47

6647c312a06af
the lines are exactly where we decide to draw them. ask me, having all the SS1 tools here instead of them being just kind of lost in Engineering would make a lot of sense.

6647c312a0767dertseha

6647c312a07b0
Ok, this is a good line: Engineering is for end-users of modding/fan mission creation, this sub-forum here is for the coding part of engine and tools.
Hence, the release thread would go here, the museum thread would stay in Engineering (sticky?) to showcase what's possible.
Sounds good?

6647c312a0839voodoo47

6647c312a0881
sure - and done.

6647c312a0915icemann

6647c312a095f
According to the update that just went out, the Mac source is all they have.
Acknowledged by: Kolya

6647c312a09favoodoo47

6647c312a0a4c
and it looks like they plan to release the updated SS1 source code as well, so yeah, any serious attempts to port the code should wait for that.
6647c312a0c13
Do you remember "Matty" saying He has the source about two years ago?
I checked and there is AUTOFIRE_SPEED definition like He said.
So He did indeed have them at that time.

I was just wondering, why do they say in kickstarter update that they got it few months ago?
Is OtherSide Entertainment behind the code cleanup?

6647c312a0e6cdertseha

6647c312a0ebc
So He did indeed have them at that time.

I was just wondering, why do they say in kickstarter update that they got it few months ago?
I doubt that Otherside does the source port.
Also, it might be the actual truth that while they had the original DOS code, they received the mac code only just recently (from Otherside).
6647c312a1111
Also, it might be the actual truth that while they had the original DOS code, they received the mac code only just recently (from Otherside).

That's probably it!

6647c312a11c6voodoo47

6647c312a121a
but why would they say that the mac code is the only thing they have then?

6647c312a130ddertseha

6647c312a1363
re-reading the kickstarter update, I can't find the info that it would be the only source they have.
@icemann , where did you read that it would be the only version they have?

6647c312a16c0dertseha

6647c312a171d
your own reddit link
:headshot:
welp.
6647c312a1828
All the lies!  :paranoid:
1 Guest is here.
Robo-boy and the Gigolo are brought into an arena where the scum of humanity (fast food munching Americans) cheers and yells as the good vagabond robos are burned and torn into pieces.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647c312a1959