🔒 SSR System Shock Remake Feedback Request - Night Dive Studios

1 Guest is here.
6647bb2919f08
MarvinQuote
SS1 source, huh? Interesting ...

I would rather see a departure from the original than a HD remake since I don't see the point of retreading the same paths with some more sprinkles on top. Money for a remake would be better spent on SS3. But since you seem hellbent on it, let's go with that.

- don't use the original level geometry. The first painted screenshot/concept art released showed the exact same room with new textures, a horrible interface and a half dozen stupid shaders added on top. 3D was still in its infancy back then, nowadays nurses in video games don't have to climb up a large boulder to reach a cupboard in the back.

- unless the aforementioned concept was one whacky idea out of a dozen, please tone down the effects. In general, remember you're developing for the PC (are you?), so make everything customizable. Mod support should be a given, too.

- here's something for a nifty stretch goal: Add a playable intro where you can experience (parts of) Citadel before Shodan's takeover. Doesn't need to be long, in fact, it shouldn't be too long, but it'd be a nice way to see more of the world and interact with some of the characters.

- add more choices. It would be nice to be able to tackle at least some of the quests in SS1 in multiple ways and play better to the strengths of your own character. SS1 and SS2 could have learned from their contemporaries like Ultima Underworld and Thief in that regard.
To that end, it would be nice to finally have hardware upgrades and skills in one game.

- Make a serious effort to fix cyberspace, but if you can't, just scratch it. It's a nice idea in general and I don't like to see features cut instead of being improved upon but it can't stay the way it is.

- I'm glad you got Terri on board, but please ditch the rest of the voice over, it's terrible (compared to modern standards). On the other hand, I don't think I need to mention how important nostalgia is for the success of a kickstarter campaign, so if you can get some former LG or Irrational guys on board, do it. I personally don't really care and some campaigns really go overboard with this, but if a Eric Brosius goal nets you $500k, who cares, right?
Acknowledged by: Hikari
6647bb291a264
ThiefsieFoolQuote
I don't have much to say except this: make sure there are proper difficulty settings.

We all know that mouselook makes SS1 a lot easier and that presumably more enhancements to the interface are forthcoming, so Hard should pack quite a punch to compensate.

When making hard difficulties though, please try to hold off from relying on enemy hitpoints inflation, you really want to avoid something like Bioshock where there's no enjoyable difficulty setting if you're a decent player, since you have to choose between near-unkillable enemies (hard) or massive over-abundance of resources (normal).
Good avenues for making difficulty work are increased enemy counts (allows tactics like using chokepoints or explosives more often unlike increased hitpoints) and more resource scarcity, also different arrangements of game objects dependent on difficulty, like a useful item that shows up later than normal or a new group of enemies poised to ambush you.
Acknowledged by: Briareos H
6647bb291a37a
foxQuote
Do not try to 'streamline the experience'.
6647bb291a711
Join2Quote
Very respectable to own up to misdeeds of the past, and it's great to hear that this is more than just business for you. I'm also glad you took System Shock home to Otherside and now a System Shock 3 is on the cards. You promise what we have all been dreaming of since forever. None of us is perfect; perhaps you truly deserve to be the one to bring this magnificent IP forward.

-I'd ask that it be kept relatively faithful in gameplay, plot, difficulty and simulation, although I'd expect to see some considerable improvements with respect to AI, controls (obviously), and would be happy to see gameplay expansions such as pseudo-realistic weapon modification and fully-fledged skill-based cyberspace movement and combat.
-Music is something that will be remastered no matter what we say I'm sure, and I'm all for it.
-Please also consider adding unique music tracks to decks 4 and 7, as I was a little disappointed they were recycles of previous decks, even if it is standard industry practice to do some recycling, plus was a massive improvement over Ultima Underworld's same dynamic music set throughout all levels.
-Consider expanding upon gameplay preferences, including difficulty settings.
-Try to nail combat harder than in the original game, as it is the core of the game yet was a little underwhelming If we're being honest here, even with all the player choice and freedom of movement.
-SS2 grid inventory/use mode combo is desired.
-Provide notable consequences for Cyborg conversation chamber use, perhaps scaling based on difficulty level as in SS2.
-Innovate if it is logical and fitting to do so, and I'll support every such move. This is a remake, we have SS:EE, so I'm fine with differences.

Good initiative posting here requesting feedback. Obviously a smart business move too, but you truly can please nearly everyone by involving the community in such a way across development. Our input has its value, if only for the sake of additional perspective, although if you have an exceptional development team no additional perspective will be needed. 

Do not try to 'streamline the experience'.

Except the controls. UI is probably going to see streamlining too, it was Neurath's only regret it seems. As long as none of the related functionality and conveyed information is lost I don't see why not though. The SS2 interface is my ideal standard. I love its design and think it is a work of genius.

I also propose the typical hand-holders can be added exclusively to lower difficulties. Add new modifiers for navigation, namely objective markers. Too many people simply can't do without, as mind boggling as that is. How in the hell do people navigate the real world if they cannot navigate intuitively designed small playspaces? The answer is they can do that, they have just been conditioned to think they shouldn't have to in a game. Just be sure to design the game without the explicit need for markers, and then add them when that's been established.

Represent the Shock/LGS experience when bringing it to a new audience. Prove good design still trumps all. And be sure to milk the Bioshock name as much as legally possible in marketing.
Acknowledged by: Hikari
6647bb291a851
zoogQuote
Hello Nyarlathotep and best wishes in your work.
I just want to try to encourage you to not listen too much to fans or try to please everyone - look what have become to gaming industry with such kind of attitude. Multiplayer, eww. Do it the hard way)
And yet - the more LGS people you get engaged the much, MUCH better. That's what i'd dream of.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact