🔒 SSR System Shock Remake Feedback Request - Night Dive Studios

3 Guests are here.
6647dfc698869
MarvinQuote
I think NV said it best when mentioning the extension of hardware upgrades through cybernetic means. One example that comes to mind would be the level's security rating. Lowering it by taking control away from Shodan could free up resources in cyberspace which, through some "magic" means, can be used to improve the player's cyber rig.

Quote by voodoo47:
I'm very much for keeping the core mechanics intact, wrenching new stuff in forcibly sounds like a bad idea.
Well, what are the core mechanics? The immersive sim evolved, and the definition of what makes a great System Shock with it. There are lots of cool things to describe what made SS1 so good but the gameplay is hard to describe in this regard.
6647dfc698a90
voodoo47Quote
to make it short and simple, I would like to see a realistic Citadel, with all the SS1 good stuff in, and all the bad stuff gone.

core mechanics are, well, core mechanics - for example, not requiring anything special to equip weapons. bringing in SS2 upgrade stations, some sort of credits that the player would need to spend there, and giving the weapons requirements so he would have to upgrade is changing it, and I view this as not desirable. this is not supposed to be SS2, or Dead Space or whatever, it's supposed to be SS1.

not opposed to small additions though, like maybe some weapon upgrades the player could find, or get from cyberspace.
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool
6647dfc698e14
MarvinQuote

Quote by voodoo47:
core mechanics are, well, core mechanics - for example, not requiring anything special to equip weapons. bringing in SS2 upgrade stations, some sort of credits that the player would need to spend there, and giving the weapons requirements so he would have to upgrade is changing it, and I view this as not desirable. this is not supposed to be SS2, or Dead Space or whatever, it's supposed to be SS1.
One can introduce hardware upgrades while leaving these mechanics intact. SS1 already does it, of course, only in a very limited way by letting players find more advanced hardware versions. Same with Deus Ex - you don't have to invest in rifles to wield a shotgun.
It all matters on what's most important to you - making the best possible game or keeping the SS1 legacy intact. I'd argue that these two points overlap most of the time, but not always, and that the latter is already achieved by the enhanced edition and a subsequent source code release.
Acknowledged by: Join usss!
6647dfc698f40
voodoo47Quote
careful tweaks and additions should be ok, but one way or another, caution would be advised - making the game NOT feel like SS1 is probably a bad idea. for example, adding friendly AIs might sound like a good plan, but the overall SS1 atmosphere would take a punch in the face. SS1 should not have friendly AIs, end of story.

I believe the goal should be to make it the best possible SS1 game. not SS1 - like, not SS1 inspired, not a spiritual successor. just plain old SS1, running in a realistic Citadel, and smooth as never before.
6647dfc69911c
HikariQuote
Being able to quick hack robots for temporary allies would be interesting. Then again they're shooting at you while you're trying to hack them and if they aren't something else is., so maybe not such a good idea.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact