🔒 System Shock 2 VR

1 Guest is here.
664a6f070f70d
JosiahJackQuote
90fps baseline is the Oculus requirement, yes, but from what I've read higher framerates are better to help with motion sickness by reaching the point where increases in framerate aren't noticeable by most. I forget where I heard 120, but I think it was a rough guideline of double the normal PC requirement of 60fps. I can't afford a good VR set to learn by experience though so I'm a VR baby.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I merely want to give the biggest examples of performance gains to help speed up your testing and development.  I would have saved countless hours of slow stuttery testing.

Looks nice so far.  Are you pulling in the import data every time you start the game/enter playmode?  Or is it cached somehow?  Are you generating a new material for each texture instance or are you auto-atlasing them somehow?

664a6f070f856
StarspawnQuote
VR suits games like SS2 perfectly. Looking forward to seeing what you can pull off, ambitious project for sure.
664a6f070f948
icemannQuote
I expect failure, whilst at the same time wish you luck.
664a6f070fabe
HardkernQuote
Are you pulling in the import data every time you start the game/enter playmode?  Or is it cached somehow?  Are you generating a new material for each texture instance or are you auto-atlasing them somehow?

I'm converting the assets into a unity native format so that I can make minor adjustements down the road. Atlasing the textures might be a good thing to do. SystemShocks textures are at most 256px by 256px. But so far everything runs smoothly and you know what they say: "Premature optimization is the root of all evil"
664a6f070fbc1
HardkernQuote
I want to ask you guys what you think about the legal standing of this project. It would really suck to put effort into this, if it just gets shutdown by one email.

Should I contact the IP-holder and ask for permission?
How aggressive is the current IP-Holder in such regards on a scale from Valve to Nintendo?
It would be hard to import all assets at runtime as certain optimizations can only be applied in editor. You guys think its enough to verify the existance of the original game files?
Do I worry too much?

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact