🔒 System Shock 2 VR

1 Guest is here.
6649f5abe59ef
JosiahJackQuote
I'm probably the best person to answer that other than Night Dive Studios, who are the rightsholders.

As the lead developer of Citadel, I've reached out to Night Dive Studios several years ago as regards my project.  They stated that so long as I don't commercialize Citadel in any way and don't use the "System Shock" name then I can continue with my System Shock 1 fan remake.  I would assume the same goes for SS2 fan projects, but you'd be better off asking them.

You should probably name it before asking.  Here are my lame suggestions:
VR Braun
Goggles VR
View of the Many
VR of the Many
RickenbackVR
CyVRnetic (ok, these are getting really lame now)
6649f5abe5b73
voodoo47Quote
and, as mentioned, requiring some original datafiles (meaning, the full retail game) to run usually is enough to stay on the safe side. so basically, as long as your package asks the user to provide a path to their SS2 crf files on the first run, and does nothing if it's not provided, you should be ok. and sure, the users will find a way to circumvent that, but that's them infringing copyright, not you.
6649f5abe5f32
ZylonBaneQuote

Quote by Hardkern:
I want to ask you guys what you think about the legal standing of this project. It would really suck to put effort into this, if it just gets shutdown by one email.
That depends. What, exactly, do you intend to create? If you're just making a toy to browse SS2 levels in Unity, you're fine. On the other hand, if you intend to make a fully faithful and playable port of SS2... well let's be honest, unless you're a god-tier coder the likes of which the SS2 community has never seen before, it's not happening. Many before you have tried and failed. What you've done so far is the easy part. To make an actual port, you'll have to precisely replicate dozens of complex systems. Act/react. Stims/receptrons. AI. Links. Loot lists. Ecologies. Alarms. Audio propagation. Audio schemas. Dynamic music. Automaps. Psi disciplines. Weapons. Drugs. Scripts. Status effects. Strings. Metaproperties. Message queues. Particles. User interface. Inventory. Research. Minigames. Keys. Object elevatoring. Hacking. Repairing. Swimming. Joint animation. Mantling. Leaning. Lights. Visibility. Gravity. Quest logging. Fogging. Flindering. Emails. Emitters. Materials. And that's just the major stuff.

JJ has been working on his SS1 port for YEARS, and that game's engine is exponentially less complex than SS2's.
6649f5abe6056
JosiahJackQuote
It also takes motivation....like, a LOT.  Because it will suck sometimes and you'll need to remind yourself of the vision of where you are headed.  Love what you do.  Love what it could be.  Take breaks to look at problems with fresh eyes.  How do you eat an elephant?  One byte at a time.

Best of luck with whatever your scope ends up being.
6649f5abe6198
icemannQuote
I'd put some research into exactly what is required to make this work, before even remotely thinking about later on in the future.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact