66353b08c6100

66353b08c65f8
1 Guest is here.

Topic: [Obsolete] StaticZ's modifications Read 16022 times  

66353b08c6baeStaticZ

66353b08c6c42
Tags: °object °SS2 °obsolete

I made smal fix for gurney model to avoid texture artifacts (some polygons are over each other), also I replace lights for low light. Friendly speaking, I hate default lights in many objects, as they looks like bright colored shit. Compatible with original game and SHTUP.

PS By the way, it's one of "my first" models i ever made... =)

note: with the exception of the pillow, which is a modder's resource, not a mod, all objects have been obsoleted by Olfred's objects.
« Last Edit: 29. December 2016, 11:57:53 by Moderator »

66353b08c712evoodoo47

Re: StaticZ's modifications
66353b08c71a0
really nice, especially if this is your first attempt - but I have to ask, any chance you could also make one without the advanced NewDark effects? you know, for the sake of backward compatibility, and all the people that want to keep the game as close to the original as possible.

btw, there are some more objects that need fixing, it would be great if you'd be willing to take a shot at them:

earth car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuU-ZGwOxig
recreation glass railing windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDo-nw9gvs
Nanite tank: Large hole visible when viewed from underneath.
Fusion cannon world model: Red wire textures backwards when viewed from a certain direction.
more glass railings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtbFaXnHwLE
bench in athletics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdaZw2bJmxU
fusion cannon model imperfections: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8930/fusionc.png
the big crate has a slight line on the top: http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9303/crate.png
the small on wall egg near shuttle control (must be popped open): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpJeroxBouo
broken von Braun door (the stripe flickers weirdly. this one is low priority, as the hires replacements from SHTUP does not have the issue, but it would still be nice to have the original resource fixed as well)
« Last Edit: 23. September 2013, 17:26:23 by voodoo47 »

66353b08c72d4StaticZ

66353b08c7339
Original must be original without any changes =) And NewDark don't change much that can change gameplay, also it's become part of GOG and Stream oficial releases and now it's rather hard to lunch original game as it have many compatible problems with new software and hardware. So I don't see anything bad in NewDark - you still can use original files, maps, switch screen to 640x480, disable DirectX 9, and finaly it will look and work as old versions =)

What other objects need fixing and what don't already remade by SHTUP and others mods ?

66353b08c7445StaticZ

66353b08c749c
bench in athletics: - it's not bug. it's model made with 2 objects. It have be fixed in DromEd, not by changing model.

fusion cannon model imperfections: - there are some replacements, not?

the small on wall egg near shuttle control (must be popped open): - vurt made some eggs already.

earth car   - do you like it? For me it's worth model in game, maybe better replace it by some new then fix this ?

66353b08c760dvoodoo47

66353b08c7662
there are people that are running the game on retro pcs as well you know. no idea how difficult would it be (to make a second model), so it's up to you. added the list of models to my previous post, I can also get you the model names if you want.

also, is it ok to use your models in other mods? because this is original issue fixing = pure SCP material.

edit:
- correct on the athletic bench, so ignore that one
- there are replacements for the fusion cannon, but none of them are true to the original
- vurt's wall pod egg only upgrades the textures, the flickering issue remains
- earth car: there are no replacements, and as mentioned before, it would be nice to have the original resource fixed
« Last Edit: 22. September 2013, 23:41:03 by voodoo47 »

66353b08c819cStaticZ

66353b08c824b
I can also get you the model names if you want.
Thanks, it's not a problem for me. Thow I don't know game so well so I don't know where is "broken von Braun door"

also, is it ok to use your models in other mods?
Sure you can, otherwise I wouldn't upload it =)

- there are replacements for the fusion cannon, but none of them are true to the original
Do you sure this bug, not feature?

- vurt's egg only upgrades the textures, the flickering issue remains (will double check to be sure)
do you mean it must be like container or what?

- earth car: there are no replacements, and as mentioned before, it would be nice to have the original resource fixed
I knew that there are now, just I thought that maybe will be better to create one, as original looks very poor.

66353b08c8387voodoo47

66353b08c83f2
- see the screenshot for the broken door.

- fusion cannon: the holes don't look too good, and the red wires on the side definitely have issues - they twitch when the weapon is being equipped, and when on the ground, they are all inverted and screwy, flickering and disappearing.
- there are two models for the wall pod, one is closed, and one is open. the closed one (WPOD.BIN) is ok, but the opened one (WPODOPEN.BIN) is not, the texture that represents the goo is flickering badly. WPODOPEN.BIN needs to be fixed.
- yeah, it's an ugly car, but it's our ugly car.

[brokendoor.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 23. September 2013, 20:50:40 by Kolya »
66353b08c8776
Friendly speaking, I hate default lights in many objects, as they looks like bright colored shit.
Your bench looks good. I'm just noting that the flat brightly coloured rectangles you mean are definitely a conscious design decision in SS2. They mark interactive objects like doors and ammo and give the player orientation.
Since they're all over the place (and SS2 is often dark) they also make up a large part of SS2's overall visual experience. It's a simple but very effective design choice. And I think it would be wise not to fight it.

66353b08c8c07StaticZ

66353b08c8c60
Ok I made fix for track car model, see 1st post for download.

- there are two models for the wall pod, one is closed, and one is open. the closed one (WPOD.BIN) is ok, but the opened one (WPODOPEN.BIN) is not, the texture that represents the goo is flickering badly. WPODOPEN.BIN needs to be fixed.
Ok, I understand. Thanks, I think it will be next.

Your bench looks good. I'm just noting that the flat brightly coloured rectangles you mean are definitely a conscious design decision in SS2. They mark interactive objects like doors and ammo and give the player orientation.
Since they're all over the place (and SS2 is often dark) they also make up a large part of SS2's overall visual experience. It's a simple but very effective design choice. And I think it would be wise not to fight it.
Lights isn't bad idea, realesation is bad. They are very bright, don't have real lighting (they just some polygons that are force drawn always with max bright). Also now on big screen with hi-res updates they look much more owful. Any way light brightnes can be change in materials of lights - if you prefer bright lightings just edit material and set ilum to 0.5 or 0.8 (1.0 - same as original).

66353b08c91a6RocketMan

66353b08c9210
there are people that are running the game on retro pcs as well you know. no idea how difficult would it be (to make a second model), so it's up to you. added the list of models to my previous post, I can also get you the model names if you want.

also, is it ok to use your models in other mods? because this is original issue fixing = pure SCP material.

edit:
- correct on the athletic bench, so ignore that one
- vurt's wall pod egg only upgrades the textures, the flickering issue remains

What do I have to do to make the fus cannon true to the original.  So far I've got "make it smaller" and a comment regarding the camo texture... presumably that it's a bit too pastel looking, which I can fix by desaturating and darkening it.  Anything else?  The model geometry is pretty much bang on.

66353b08c92ecvoodoo47

66353b08c9354
there will always be a demand for fixed resources that stay true to the original. in the case of the fusion cannon, that would mean closing the gaps on the barrel, and fixing those red wires (they are a 2d sprite, maybe replacing them with a real 3D wire model would be the way), nothing else.
« Last Edit: 23. September 2013, 07:58:19 by voodoo47 »

66353b08c9409StaticZ

66353b08c945e
add wpodopen model fix (see 1st post)

66353b08c9535StaticZ

66353b08c9588
I made upscale filtred textures for shuttle and truck (see texup01_by_StaticZ.7z in 1st post). Don't wait much, but textures become little more clear, thow I disappointed as differences are weak...

66353b08c966bvoodoo47

66353b08c96c0
the wall pod is nice, but the truck coloring has changed at one place, and there is a sharp line that divides the surfaces:

[compare.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 23. September 2013, 20:52:10 by Kolya »

66353b08c97c7StaticZ

66353b08c981a
I made as it was on other side. In original model left and right sides little differs. As for line it must be sharp, because it's part of car geometry, in game it's don't easy to see but it isn't flat surface at all (see first screen below). But in original model another side of car has wrong geometry (see second screen).

[pic-20130923-211012.png expired]

[pic-20130923-210940.png expired]
« Last Edit: 23. September 2013, 20:51:23 by Kolya »

66353b08c98eavoodoo47

66353b08c993d
ok - I have no idea about modeling, so if it needs to be that way, no problem, the fixed flickering is well worth it.

66353b08c99efStaticZ

66353b08c9a4f
I will make later some "hipoly" varient where will try to make geometry and textures more clear. Thow original textures are very rude
66353b08c9d89
I guess the SS2 community is in dire need of a texture god. Somehow that is missing :P

But you could actually fix that, just make the face end at the point where it intersects with the other ones.

Which tool do you use?

66353b08c9e98StaticZ

66353b08c9f00
Unfortunately I'm bad in drawing...

Most work were made in kHED, I'm really newby in this, so pro tools are hard for me. Thow sometimes I also use Blender and I hoop soon I will be able to make all work in it, as working in kHED is rather boring and uncomfortable, especialy if model have many poligons.

By the way does anybody know what poligon limit in models in ND? Models over 1000 polygons often crashes engine, thow some have 1500-2000 and works fine.

66353b08ca187Jack Ripper

66353b08ca1e4
and fixing those red wires (they are a 2d sprite, maybe replacing them with a real 3D wire model would be the way), nothing else.

Nanite pack also have this issue with messed red wires on one of the sides.

66353b08ca2aevoodoo47

66353b08ca316
yeah, the nanite tank could definitely use a proper fix.

I think there has been a discussion about the limits somewhere, I'll try to find it.

66353b08ca567StaticZ

66353b08ca5c0
yeah, the nanite tank could definitely use a proper fix.
I will fix it, but which exactly (there are few models as I remember from DromEd)

66353b08ca79dJack Ripper

66353b08ca7fe
I will fix it, but which exactly (there are few models as I remember from DromEd)

You can look it up in psi training room.
66353b08ca916
Oh well, I am rather experienced with Blender and might help out if there are any questions about it.
Never heard about kHED.

Or just forward anything to me which you can't get fixed and I will take a look at it.
(Maybe even do a video so you can see what I did, anyone know a good free capture sofware?)
1 Guest is here.
There's a city in my mind.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66353b08caa19