🔒 SS2 Source Code

1 Guest is here.
66493d51e98e3
RoSoDudeQuote
Thanks for the explanation. Since I generally disagree with the idea of official mods on Steam/GOG anyway, this doesn't affect me then. Good for wider support and fixes -- I was just worried about version branching and future incompatibilities since I'm not very educated on the technical differences between builds and intend to stick with NewDark mods.
66493d51e9a69
icemannQuote
Firstly this is great news that they tracked down the whole source. If I remember right they are quite determined to fix the multiplayer side of things. If they do indeed fix that then awesome. Beyond that, we're going to end up with 2 source ports (NewDark and theirs). But meh the Doom community does fine under multiple source ports. I'm sure we can too.

At first NewDark will be the superior of the 2, as its had QUITE the head start, but whose to say in another year or so.
Acknowledged by: Da9L
66493d51e9be6
voodoo47Quote
yeah, two ports are not really a problem, however I have my doubts about the official one matching NewDark anytime soon - it's probably going to take much longer than just a year or two.

oh, and almost forgot, this means achievements almost for sure, so good news for all who are into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U
66493d51e9e59
JDoranQuote
It's great news about the SS2 source code release, and an official source code port release too, of course, but I'll probably stick with the current (New Dark) build. I don't care about SS2's multiplayer, so unless they add something radically good to the single player game that can't be incorporated (by the current SS2 modders on this forum, or by another third party) into New Dark, then I'm happy with the current version.

As long as NO-ONE alters the EMP rifle though - it's my favourite SS2 weapon, and I'd hate to see it spoilt. The EMP rifle is brilliant because fully upgraded it makes such short work of robots, including and especially one-shotting the ****ing protocol droids  :thumb:, plus it has (it feels like!) a zillion shots between recharges  :D :D :D). If only you could use it to melee the spiders to death!

Seiously, though, what changes would anyone like to see in SS2 now that the source is likely due to be released, and presumably Night Dive will be looking for good ideas for improving the source port? SCP and co. have fixed most of the complaints that don't involve actually remodelling parts of the Von Braun or Rickenbacker. I'd like to see more stuff added to the living quarters, more shelves, books, unique pictures and posters, etc, to make the areas seem genuinely lived in. It wouldn't alter the gameplay at all (none of the new stuff would be interactive or able to be picked up) but would add to the immersion of the game's atmosphere. When you walk through blood or worms or something, you should leave a few footprints (again, this adds to the immersion, ask anyone who's played Duke Nukem 3D!), and personally I'd like to see the grav-shafts changed to normal lifts (elevators) or stairs, since I think grav-shafts would cause problems with people who have acrophobia (plus if you'e near the top of one when the power fails then you fall and die), but that would involve a lot of changes to the games levels and probably lots of people would prefer they be left in as (to them) the grav-shafts are part of SS2's style. Fair enough, of course.
66493d51e9f43
voodoo47Quote
those aren't changes that would require source code modifications, just the editor and some guy with a fair bit of time. an example of a source port feature suggestion would be "make all the lighting dynamic", "add tessellation", or "support internet multiplayer".
Acknowledged by: Nameless Voice

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact