🔒 SS2 Source Code

1 Guest is here.
66493debd6a2f
voodoo47Quote
that should work properly as long as there are no bad props on the objects (like RenderOrder, which should only be used in very specific situations). any examples?
66493debd6b07
fascinate4Quote
This is a great news! I was dreaming about it. Finally it would be possible to make custom anims for First-Person weapons.
66493debd701b
OlfredQuote

Quote by voodoo47:
that should work properly as long as there are no bad props on the objects (like RenderOrder, which should only be used in very specific situations). any examples?
I think we had a discussion about that in one of the engineering threads I'm active in. Possibly the fixed model one.
66493debd7124
voodoo47Quote
all I remember at the moment is the wormskin armor (an edge case scenario) and the trees (basically, transparency should only be used on 2D objects that are intended to be transparent, like windows, decals, leaves etc, if you apply it on anything else, you are asking for trouble).

I might dig through the obj fix topic later, but oof, it's 77 pages.
66493debd751d
JDoranQuote
Since the SS2 source code release would allow for more comprehensive changes to the games mechanics, then an interesting System Shock 2 mod might be a sort of "Half-System Shock" style thing. This would be where at a certain point in the game, an army ship docks with the Von Braun (or the Rickenbacker) and the special forces marines (well armed and well trained humans) emerge who have orders to destroy every living creature (including humans, so as to prevent rumours of the Von Braun event from reaching the public). That way, you'd have to fight against very competent humans as well as the other horrors in the game, and, as in Half-Life, you'd occasionally come across a battle between humans and non-humans, and you'd be able to choice whether to join in the fight, or wait until it's over and kill the survivors (since whoever wins, they will still try to kill you), or use the chaos of the fight to sneak past them and avoid fighting altogether.

I think this would necessitate adding to or enlarging the playing areas, to allow for more encounters with the soldiers, or maybe creating a couple of new levels for the game, plus maybe a mission where you have to fight your way through the soldiers' ship to get something that's either game objective critical, or a super weapon to help you through the game.

Fighting against the soldiers would be more first person shooter than anything, both when you encounter lone enemies, or in small groups, but also when you encounter areas where a larger group of soldiers have set up a check point or similar. This would make the game longer, and could be used for more randomized content as the soldiers could be at different points in every game. I'm not too sure how

You'd probably need an in-game reason why you (the player) wants to prevent the soldiers from gaining control of the Von Braun, otherwise, aside from the fact that the soldiers want to kill you, you'd be glad that they were there and were killing the non-human enemies. Shodan, or whoever she's pretending to be at that time could say something like "I've intercepted a transmission from the soldiers' ship to their Earth-side superiors. The ship's platoon has been told to bring back the Von Braun in one piece, as the mutations' varying levels of being could be used to massively increase the army's current levels of chemical and biological warfare. I don't think I have to tell you that this would be unspeakably bad for the innocent human population of the Earth if this was allowed to happen. You mush destroy the Von Braun to prevent it falling into the immoral hands of the soldiers' masters".

System Shock 2's game engine might not be ideal for a straight first person shooter (though it wouldn't be too bad, either), but the source code would allow things to be altered where necessary.

I'm ust daydreaming, and admittedly it would go very much against the core SS2 gameplay (and likely be less than great to play too), but it might have been interesting. The soldiers could also have android support troops for you to use your energy weapons on, and also for you to hack so they would fight on your side.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact