6634bfa04e32d

Page: « 1 [2] 3 »
6634bfa04e80a
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 SHTUP-ND
Read 620732 times  

6634bfa04eef0
Ya, I mean a lot of it can be guessed but at the same time it's still pretty phenominal work.
6634bfa04f1e0
HikariI can't guess anything from those old textures. Either it's cleary visible, or just random pixels. I think ZB did a good job interpreting these pixels into something plausible.

6634bfa04f31evoodoo47

6634bfa04f373
I bet there is a simple explanation, like time travelling, infiltrating IG headquarters (we know the code, right?) and sneaking a peek at the original resources.

your textures, give them to me.

6634bfa04f5ccZylonBane

6634bfa04f620
It would have been criminal not to give the metacreative barrier some heavy MTL love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiMGgHDUnnU

6634bfa04f6c6voodoo47

6634bfa04f713
hypnotoad approves.

also, whoever will be hammering the KEX engine into running SHTUP properly is probably going to love this.
6634bfa04f7eb
Psi wall told me its preferred pronoun is "everyone".
6634bfa04fb61
ZylonBane
Regarding blue turret: hack suggestion alert! Assuming remodeling is not an option, how about spawning a textured flat mesh where the turret opens up, so that its guts have detail instead of black nothingness? And of course destroy the mesh when the turret is destroyed.

Perhaps only do this for the bottom half of the turret for performance reasons. Since the top half (underside) will be seen far less. And the top half is also the part that moves which complicates things.

6634bfa04fc08voodoo47

6634bfa04fc55
the insides being pitch black is not really a problem when lighting is on.

6634bfa04fce8ZylonBane

6634bfa04fd41
And when it's either shooting at you or exploding.

6634bfa04fdefvoodoo47

6634bfa04fe3d
most likely done because they did not want to model the insides to save polys, and anything but pitch black would make it obvious the gun is actually rising from a solid block of steel.

6634bfa04ff35ZylonBane

6634bfa04ff84
Finally, the explosions are complete! Until I decide to tweak them some more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmSdgozlbac
It's been so long since I've looked at the vanilla explosions instead of SCP, I'd forgotten how slowly the vanilla animations run. No idea why Irrational did that, they look so much better sped up. So yeah, the actual SHTUP explosions will animate faster than in this video. I just speed-matched here for comparison.
Acknowledged by 2 members: JML, hemebond

6634bfa050216Deu sex

6634bfa05026e
Looking at the latest posts (except explosions of course) I think I must have messed something in my mod order, I don't have the sexy blue turrets, nor the smooth psi wall animation,
it looks like this right now: https://i.ibb.co/X3DrSXC/mod-order.jpg

also about the texture filtering disabled, I just re-enabled it, I prefer it without, but it has a few issues here and there, and supersampling the renderer SSAAx16 to eliminate texture aliasing is slightly too brutal for my GPU (I can target 60 FPS but 120 is harder), which is understandable I mean we're talking SSAAx16 after all :D

6634bfa050352voodoo47

6634bfa0503ab
not everything is included in the last public build (first post Last Edit: 19. June 2021, 23:03:45, so it's very safe to say everything posted after that date is not available yet).

anyway, SCP, then obj fixes, then SHTUP, then everything else, would you kindly.
« Last Edit: 15. May 2022, 12:16:57 by voodoo47 »

6634bfa0506d5ZylonBane

6634bfa050726
What I'm seeing here is a positive correlation between an inability to read post dates, and a fetishistic obsession with making SS2's texture mapping look worse. And pokémodding. And scraping unfinished mods from the dev topic. And having mutually exclusive mods active at the same time.

6634bfa050804Deu sex

6634bfa050859
Yep I jumped the gun a bit early I should have read the post history better sorry about that. However the texture mapping thing is very subjective, a lot of textures in the game preserves more detail by not having the filtering applied to them (example being most environment textures, desks, and especially 3D models of enemies). Some of them do look worse though I give you that, like reflections and transparent ones.

Do you think, even in theory, that texture filtering could use a slightly less lossy/blurry method?

6634bfa050ba2GuyFawkesGaming

6634bfa050c27
ZylonBaneIronic, Vert actually has unfinished mods for both texturing the turrets (just the slug ones) and adding updated explosions. I tested both cause why not  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯; the turret one works but looks out of place without corresponding laser and rocket turret textures. The explosions one displays wrong animations likely due to outdated dml (I think it was last updated ~2016).
Anyways, I just thought that was a bit funny given the context of not only what you're complaining about but also that your most recent updates were about turret textures and explosions. :D

6634bfa050e44ZylonBane

6634bfa050e9c
A little story on wasted time. I've recently upgraded the frame rates of the spinning TriOp and Med/Sci logos (again), and as a result I now have 68 256x256 textures to deal with. So I've been looking into saving them as DDS to save video card memory. The advantage of DDS files is that they support DXT compression. DXT for opaque textures yields a fixed compression ratio of 8:1, and it can be decoded directly on the video card in realtime, which saves a ton of the aforementioned VRAM.

However...

As it turns out, the difference between 68 textures saved as PNG vs DDS is 23 megabytes of VRAM. That may sound like a lot, but if you have, for example, a bargain-basement 4GB video card, 23 MB is barely half of one percent of that. SS2 as a whole, with SHTUP and 400 enabled, barely breaks 700MB total VRAM usage.

So in the end, not worth the hassle. All that VRAM exists to be used, after all. And it's a small price to pay for not having to deal with compression artifact nonsense like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TtH4ldEzXA
For those wondering what they're looking at here, DXT compression works by dividing the image into 4x4 blocks, then within each block directly encoding the TWO most prominent colors, then deriving two more colors interpolated between those colors. It works great for photographic images, but it absolutely sucks for images with fine multicolored detail. Like for example, an image where green, orange, and black might all be present within the same 4x4 block.
Acknowledged by 2 members: JML, Deu sex

6634bfa050f9fZylonBane

Acknowledged by 3 members: Chandlermaki, Deu sex, PsiElite
6634bfa0511db
Is SHTUP responsible for radioactive barrels? The texture on them says:

Caution

Danger
Radioactive
Material

To me "danger" after "caution" feels a bit redundant. Maybe "dangerous" instead of "danger" could work better?

6634bfa051287ZylonBane

6634bfa0512d4
Hmm. That texture was done by a contributor. I'd never noticed how much it deviated from the vanilla texture. I'll take a look at it.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Trioptimum executive Edward ____ (Fill in the last name):
1 Guest is here.
1985 seems so far away now
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6634bfa0513f7