663542c66786c

663542c667eb0
3 Guests are here.

Topic: SS2 Schatten SHMUP (Shock Music Update) V1.1
Page: « 1 [2] 3 »
Read 177183 times  

663542c6684a9Barbach

663542c668513
Is it possible to use this mod in a multiplayer game even if the other players don't have it ?
663542c6687ef
Yes, of course. It's just a music update. It doesn't actually change the game.
Now to keep you from having to ask these questions in each and every thread, let me explain this. If mods contain files with the extension MIS or GAM they are most likely not compatible with each other and everyone has to have the same mods of this type in a multiplayer game. MIS files are the mission (level) files, GAM files make up the gameplay.

All other mods, not containing files of these types, are considered "cosmetical" and can be mixed quite freely and used in MP games, regardless of who has what.
For in depth information see SS2 Modding mechanics & compatibilities.
663542c668935
Barbach
Sure you can use it in Multiplayer!
Your buddies won't be hearing it anytime soon though. ^.~
They can't see, use, hear, or destroy anything they don't have in their Sshock2 (or whatever they named it) folder.
You gotta tell your chaps to DL the music pack themselves, or send them it.
663542c668a48
Double Post, can't edit as guest. Apologies. I should have looked for the last page. /facepalm
663542c668b9c
Is the source from these FLAC/PCM? Or are they MP3s being used, converted to PCM so the game will recognize them? Also just out of curiosity, how much if any of the soundtrack is not used, apart from the cutscene soundtracks obviously? Also has anyone ever done anything like a spectrogram from the songs on the soundtrack to prove that they are actually higher quality, and that Eric didn't just upsample and then burn the EMA ADPCM files before being cut up for the engine? If so that would make this mod rather useless, but it'd be good information to have.

663542c668cc9miracle.flame

663542c668d1c
You don't need spectrogram or any other ridiculous proofs to hear that this mod is definitely better choice than orgininal in-game score.
663542c668e3a
It is 320kbps MP3 to PCM, though I believe 99.9% of people wouldn't notice the difference if it was preserved from the original raw format. Just use it, it's worth every kilobyte. ;]
663542c668fb0
I think only Schatten knows whether he used the MP3 (CBR 320kps) release or the WAV files released shortly after as a base. Not that it would make a distinguishable difference in the end.

Regarding what Eric Brosius did: It's pretty clear that he didn't just burn the game files on a CD. For one thing they're different arrangements, but you can also hear the quality difference right away in this case, as miracle noted.

If you for whatever reason think we may be daftly creating and distributing a useless mod here, then the polite thing to do would be to do the analysis you require yourself.
663542c6691a3
Didn't think that, so no worries, I just thought I should ask since I never saw the question addressed anywhere.

It doesn't matter to me as I'll be getting the mod either way, and thank you for doing this so we don't have to, but why MP3? I agree that it's not a difference anyone is going to notice, but on the other hand, you have to decompress to wave anyway so I don't see how it saves any space sourcing from a lossie codec VS. a lossless one. I'm not saying you should change it now, that would mean re-creating the whole thing from scratch for no quantifiable improvement, so it'd be kind of silly; I'm just curious if there's a reason to that I don't understand.

Oh, yeah--I assume this mod doesn't actually replace anything, just creates new content in its own folder. If I decide I don't want to keep the original music at all and feel like saving space, is it as simple as deleting the songs.crf files in the shock directory?
663542c669302
I'm not sure where LarkSS is getting his information from, on the MP3 release being the base of this mod. As I said, only Schatten, the author of the mod can answer this.

Regarding how to use the mod, see the QUICK GUIDE at the start of the first post. Generally mods don't overwrite files, but you need to have a mod-ready installation of the game first, to use mods.
663542c669426
I thought for sure I read from the original topic that Eric Brosius's arrangements were released in that it was passed out in MP3 format, and that I didn't see any WAV source files for the mod author of SHMUP to use, but if I am mistaken please disregard anything I've said previously.
663542c66953e
We talked "MysteryDev" into releasing the OST in an uncompressed format. He eventually put up WAV files.

663542c66988cSchatten

663542c6698e4
To clear things up, the source was the MP3 version, for the simple reason the lossless versions weren't available at the time I made the mod. As stated in the readme there are two snippets (MedSci 1) that weren't in the mix, at least not in a version that allowed for clean cutting. Fortunately, both did compress rather well to ADPCM so the hiss is at a minimum.

663542c669b4eFironkkuify

Re: SS2 Schatten SHMUP (Shock Music Update) V1.0
663542c669ba3
Since 7zip is free...

Wait, 7zip is free?  Anytime I downloaded it, the only "free" part was a trial.  And once the trial was done, I couldn't open any 7zip files which forced me to uninstall it.

663542c669e13The Brain

663542c66a05bsparklingdark

663542c66a0a7
The drum and bass in this game is actually pretty good.

I just want to make sure that I have it installed correctly. 
I used Kolya's installation tool.  Everything is mod ready, SHTUP and that fan patch are installed.

This is my question.  In the install.cfg,

cd_path .
install_path .+.\DataPermanentMods+.\Data
language english
resname_base .\+.\RES+.\DataPermanentMods\res+.\Data+.\Data\res
load_path .+.\DataPermanentMods+.\Data
script_module_path .+.\DataPermanentMods+.\Data
movie_path .\cutscenes+.\DataPermanentMods\cutscenes+.\Data\cutscenes

Shouldn't there be a music path or something?  Like this?  music_path \snd\songs

Thanks for your time.  Love your forum by the way :)

663542c66a1d0miracle.flame

663542c66a222
no, don't try to look at it that way... consider Music as Data and put it in .\DataPermanentMods for example.. the game would find the data searching trough the pattern stated in install.cfg

663542c66a2d0sparklingdark

663542c66a327
That's it!

Because I compared the music in game, and the samples from the folder and I was like wait a minute...these sound a lot better.
So I wanted to make sure, thank you, you freak.

663542c66a3dcFaithless

663542c66a429
now, to put in some alternate music into the game that fit the style and feel of the game, maybe some SPOR, like say cyberpunk, ultimate technology, some apex, or some other hot DnB that came out after game release.

663542c66a684Fironkkuify

663542c66a6e7
now, to put in some alternate music into the game that fit the style and feel of the game, maybe some SPOR, like say cyberpunk, ultimate technology, some apex, or some other hot DnB that came out after game release.

What's wrong with the original OST?

663542c66a7a1Daveed93

663542c66a7fa
Hey, I have problem with downloading this mod. It only downloads 150MB and it is damaged. Could anybody fix this? Thanks.
663542c66a8ee
Confirmed. I'll see into it. It's likely not the download itself but a PHP limit on our new server.
663542c66aa1f
Six files hadn't downloaded correctly from the old server and were hence incomplete here. They have been fixed.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a ____ creature of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
3 Guests are here.
1985 seems so far away now
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663542c66ab4c