System Shock 1, using BASSMIDI for higher quality music with soundfonts (.sf2)

1 Guest is here.
66471665d2087
XenoneoQuote
I'm glad I could contribute some information to help people out.  :awesome:

It's going to take me a while to make myself stop playing with soundfonts and midis.
This rabbit hole goes deep and there's some crazy stuff in here.
Some of the musicians I listen to used midi sequencing to make their songs, so now I've fallen even deeper as I learn how to do that.  O_o
If I had never tried to make SS1's music sound better, I'd have never learned about all this stuff.

Now how to I get out of here...~ooo a shiny! *runs off distracted*
66471665d2171
oozeQuote
Wow, thank you very much Xenoneo! This improves my SS1 experience a lot. And it was really easy to set up.
66471665d2213
XenoneoQuote
I'm glad it helped you out, ooze.  :awesome:
66471665d22de
r0b0_j0Quote
Hi, I am having trouble getting BASSMIDI to work properly. I have followed all steps of installation, but my audio sounds exactly the same (definitely not as good as that video up there). I'm playing the SSP version of SS1 and I have windows XP. Any ideas? I'm sure I'm not giving you much to work with, so let me know what other info you'd need to know. Thanks!
66471665d246d
TarvisQuote
Hello there, I would like to point out (as the creator of the video above) that I recorded the audio from Foobar2000 using the Bassmidi plugin there, not the game itself. I have a feeling that Foobar2000 makes it sound better than it will in the game, because even my game doesn't sound quite that good. Still a huge step up from Windows' General MIDI though.

Additionally, I don't use BASSMIDI because of the game's tendency to pause the entire game to load music. I use Timidity because I can get around that using MIDI Yoke to send data to Timidity instead of having DOSBOX use it directly. I wish I could do this with BASSMIDI because it sounds better, is more reliable and is much less resource intensive than Timidity, but alas BASSMIDI has no "MIDI In" option that would make it compatible with MIDI Yoke.

But, I still reccommend trying BASSMIDI first. Maybe it will work without pausing the game for you.

If you want a guide for  Timidity in case it does the above, I followed this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/thread/51868/

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact