SS2 Schatten SHMUP (Shock Music Update) V1.1

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/11▶▶
6633a643cdeed
SchattenQuote
Tags: °sound °SS2

This mod enhances the sound quality of the music in SS2. (As discussed on TTLG.)

April 23rd 2007 "MysteryDev" provided a high quality version of the System Shock 2 soundtrack in a thread on the TTLG forums. I made a small mod so you can enjoy the high quality music in the game.
The tracks were original arrangements by Eric Brosius, mixed as full songs. To make use of them for an updated in-game soundtrack, I had to split most of them into smaller bits, so the DarkEngine song format could play them. The arrangements MysteryDev provided did not offer clean sections of every sound-snippet the game uses, so in some cases I had to adapt and make some minor changes.

In some cases I had to convert the original soundfiles to 44kHz PCM waves without any other changes. This has happened when the respective section was not present in Eric's arrangement, and thus could not be recreated. Although the conversion increases the file size without any quality gain, this was necessary for technical reasons: If I hadn't done this, those files would play at double speed.

You may also note a hiss on some tracks, although it's not quite as bad as in the orignal ADPCM wavs. This hiss is already present in the mixes, and I didn't want to remove it. It would reduce the overall quality of the track and make this whole thing rather pointless. :)

Installation is simple. Make System Shock 2 mod-ready, then extract the contents of the ZIP file into the game's root directory. SHMUP is a simple replacer mod, which means it is compatible with every mod that doesn't change the original music of the game.

Due to my poor bandwidth, I decided to make it available as a seed on the StrangeBedfellows torrent tracker (thanks Kolya).

Enjoy!

Yes, I'm aware that a SHMUP is usually something different. I just couldn't resist.
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool
6633a643ce071
miracle.flameQuote
edit:
the link is working fine now  :thumbwink:
6633a643ce199
miracle.flameQuote
On engineering deck when leaving tubes area and entering elevator area (where QBRM is too) and music e1end.wav is supposed to kick in I'm experiencing really disturbing unpleasant loud noise from left channel. Upon removing the mod it's gone.

I've noticed e1end.wav is used from original resources so it's 22khz... maybe a problem with crossfading from 44khz to 22khz.

UPDATE: Yep, it's definitely it. I've converted the file to 44khz and it plays sweet now. I've checked and this was the only file left behind so there should be no other bugs like this. Here's the quick fix to save you the day.

BTW great work and thanks.. it's surely remarkable change.

UPDATE2: If you're going to replace the orginal archive I suggest using 7-zip ultra compression to save 38 MB.
6633a643ce28f
SchattenQuote
You're correct, I simply missed to include the correct file into the zip somehow. I like 7z, but it's not as commonly in use as zip or rar- however, if people are cool with it, I'm going to use it.

Attached is the missing file. The archive includes the directories relative to the game root.

Thanks miracle.freak!

[KOLYA EDIT: The missing file has been integrated in version 1.1]
6633a643ce33d
miracle.flameQuote
well... I've uploaded the file already but.. whatha.. I'll remove it so there are no confusions here okay?
Page: 1/11▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact