6643a540b9a93
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Yet another flashlight demo
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 4442 times  

6643a540ba20aZylonBane

6643a540ba27d
Also very SS1 like
It's not SS1-like at all. In SS1 you can turn the headlamp on and run around freely.

I'm currently leaning toward tying the flashlight to the compass. This wouldn't really make logical sense, but it would neatly solve two problems-- it would give the flashlight script a host object that would be unlikely to conflict with any other mods, and it would allow toggling the flashlight using an existing keybind. And it's not like anyone ever uses the compass anyway.

6643a540ba452voodoo47

6643a540ba4a4
yeah, "weird numbers appeared, is my game possessed by satan" steam forum posts are not that uncommon. should work nicely, and optionally disabling/not showing the actual compass stuff should be easy.
6643a540ba60d
I use the compass! How else am I supposed to find North on a spaceship?  :what:

6643a540baaa3Silversharp

6643a540bab19
I'm currently leaning toward tying the flashlight to the compass. This wouldn't really make logical sense, but it would neatly solve two problems-- it would give the flashlight script a host object that would be unlikely to conflict with any other mods, and it would allow toggling the flashlight using an existing keybind. And it's not like anyone ever uses the compass anyway.

Any chance to release a standalone mod based on this idea? Toggable flashlight in place of compass, this opens new possibilities for me. I would make the game even darker if I had a flashlight.
I even had this idea of simple night vision based of alpha channel illumination similar to what Koyla did with his recent white round crosshair.

6643a540bac23Silversharp

6643a540bac7f
Is it possible to script player object to cast a light like "the rapier sword" does, and alter the parameters of light somehow? Like a glowing stick or a flare.
I know it's an omnidirectional light, directional flashlight is a bust anyway. ? :ninja:?

6643a540bad91Silversharp

6643a540baddf
Well, I'm not giving up on this  :)

https://youtu.be/GGO9dkpDbcc

A switchable "lantern" similar to what can be seen on the video, pretty please?
I'm sure theoretically and technically it can be done. Light saber glows around.

6643a540baec5voodoo47

6643a540baf1e
add this
Code: [Select]
+ObjProp "BigSpoon" "SelfLit" = "200"to the Spoon gamesys.dml, start a new game. shiny glowy spoon!

6643a540bb02eZylonBane

6643a540bb07b
Finally did some more work on this and wrapped it up into an installable mod. I'm still tweaking the parameters, so consider this a beta. I'd appreciate any feedback on the implementation and any framerate issues.

Code: [Select]
Flashlight Biomod 0.9
April 2020
by ZylonBane
- Experimental nanotech biomod deposits bioluminescent cells within the retina
  to provide coherent illumination of the users's field of view.
- Replaces compass module in standard cyber implant architecture. Use compass
  keybind to toggle activation state.
- Continuous light generation is physically taxing, so movement speed is reduced
  by 20% while biomod is active.

EDIT: Attachment removed
« Last Edit: 06. May 2020, 02:51:35 by ZylonBane »
6643a540bb16c
Is there a technical reason for the speedcontrol?

6643a540bb303ZylonBane

6643a540bb359
Technical? No. Gameplay, yes. The reason is to discourage players from just turning it on and leaving it on. Since it doesn't use energy or any other resources like most other game flashlights, something had to be done to balance it, so I went with speed. I figure this works well since in the game's dark areas you're usually going to be moving around pretty slowly anyway.

Another note: This now gives the flashlight beam a bit of inertia instead of hard-locking it to the direction you're facing. This is intended to make it feel more "real" and less like just an engine effect, but I imagine some people might find the lag distracting. Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: 17. April 2020, 17:00:29 by ZylonBane »

6643a540bb6a4sarge945

6643a540bb6fd
It would be cool if there was a light spell (a psi power) that basically either made your eyes glow or made a ball of light follow you around, for an extremely small psi cost (maybe nothing upfront, then 2 psi per minute or something).

I dunno, just random ideas. I guess there are already enough borderline useless psi powers, although this could have some use in the cargo bays for psi users who usually have a particularly hard time there against all the robots. At least I have a hard time there.

Another possible balance idea is to make eating food replenish it for a while, like it's getting bio-energy from your digestive system.

Does the flashlight make the player easier to spot?

I am just throwing stuff out here.

6643a540bb9cfZylonBane

6643a540bba0d
Does the flashlight make the player easier to spot?
It adds a dynamic light to the player, so I'd imagine so. Why don't you try it out and see for yourself?
1 Guest is here.
a really unique place to be
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6643a540bfda5