SS2 QBR Breaker

1 Guest is here.
664a23fba0ca5
JDoranQuote

Quote by sarge945:
Bioshock being terrible at everything isn't exactly news.

It isn't even remotely correct, either. Bioshock was a terrible System Shock 2 sequel, since it was stripped of so much that made SS2 so great, but judged on it's own, it's a good, though not great first person shooter. And it did do some things really well; the setting is very atmospheric, Rapture does have a real 'feel' to it. The lore is interesting, the sound is well done and adds to the atmosphere and forboding. The plasmids are interesting, and fun to use, and the first half of the game is a lot of fun to play.

On the minus side, Bioshock is not a game for anyone looking for complicated or thought-requiring game mechanics. The atmosphere and enjoyment level falls of a cliff half-way through the game, the end boss fight isn't just un-enjoyable to fight and bafflingly easy to beat, but it lacks any imagination at all (which is amazing, given the imagination and ideas that went into the rest of the game), and replaying the game when you're overly familiar with it all does tend to feel like you're playing through a procession of scripted events.

On top of which, the game wasn't moddable, unfortunately.  Imagine the mods that talented fans would and could have made for the game. But sadly, it wasn't to be.
664a23fba1017
📱 sarge945Quote
So you're telling me a game that, by your own admission turns to complete shit after the first half, is good.

Interesting.
664a23fba1162
KolyaQuote
Right, things are either shit or not. Stop confounding us with those multivalent ideas of yours, JDoran!
664a23fba14cc
JDoranQuote

Quote by sarge945:
So you're telling me a game that, by your own admission turns to complete shit after the first half, is good.

Interesting.

No, it's still a good game, at least for the first half, but it really falls off later on. A few games are great to play up until a certain point. Half-Life, for example, is great except for the conveyer belt part in the middle (which isn't too long, thankfully), and the tedious Xen sections at the end of the game. Whenever I play through Half-Life, I always stop at the part where you teleport to Xen. Apparently the fan made game Black Mesa has totally changed the Xen levels, and they are really good to play (so I've read), but I've not played Black Mesa since their version of Xen was added, so I can't yet comment.

Psi Ops is another great game where the developers really harm the latter part of the game. When you acquire the final mind-power, that's when playing it becomes a chore. Until then it's fun to play.

Bioshock jumps the shark much earlier in the game than Half-Life and Psi-Ops, but it's still well worth playing until that point.

Bioshock 2, though gets almost everything right. It fixes most of the first games flaws, has a better moral choice system, the game dodn't suffer a loss of quality at all as it goes on, it improves the hacking, and plasmids, adds some new things into the mix, the levels are more fun to explore, the game doesn't feel like it's one scripted event after another, and has better bot-pathing for the flying security turrets. The only things the first game does better than the second are the opening scene in the first game, where you first see Rapture as you glide towards it in the bathysphere, the first game's story is more memorable, and the main characters are more memorable in the first game.

Bioshock 2 is the only one of the three Bioshock games that I regularly replay. It never gets old or boring, I think.
664a23fba16eb
JDoranQuote

Quote by Kolya:
Right, things are either shit or not. Stop confounding us with those multivalent ideas of yours, JDoran!

"Multivalent"? I've just learned a new work, thanks!  :)

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact