6637bab0b4716

6637bab0b4caf
3 Guests are here.

Topic: SS2 Vurt's Hi-Res Space Textures
Page: « 1 [2] 3 »
Read 146174 times  

6637bab0b53d4voodoo47

6637bab0b5464
I believe a neutron pulsar would blink even when viewed from outer space. anyway, it's a nice effect, together with small nebulas slowly spinning etc - remember, we are talking about a "movie style" space, all pretty and carrying sounds. silent, frozen and empty darkness may be realistic, but most people are not looking for that when opening a game - if you want to see a gray, shitty reality, all you have to do is look out the window.

we also need to generate the resources, and that will be tough.
6637bab0b5890
you know what I would like to see at the station map? an authentic, fully dynamic space with blinking stars and everything, plus earth that would fully rotate after 24 ingame hours.

crazy? well, it's not like I have any real plans for the next 50 years or so..

You have my full support....textually  :D

Seriously though, some borrowed NASA images would satisfy me perfectly.
I also oppose a fantastical style. Give me cold realism in this case. Easier and more believable.
« Last Edit: 31. July 2013, 20:27:38 by Join usss! »

6637bab0b5c01RocketMan

6637bab0b5c57
Before the big vein in my head bursts, let me say that if you want something pretty that's fine but if you want authentic, you can't just pick some random shit from NASA and put it in the game.  Space from Tau Ceti, as I've explicitly illustrated earlier in this thread, is not THAT spectacular.  No bursting nebulae or pulsars or asteroid fields dancing around like collossal chocolate chips.  It looks exactly the same as every clear night on Earth from a rural location.  Sometimes subtlety carries with it a certain beauty.
« Last Edit: 02. August 2013, 00:37:26 by RocketMan »
6637bab0b5f5d
Before the big vein in my head bursts, let me say that if you want something pretty that's fine but if you want authentic, you can't just pick some random shit from NASA and put it in the game.  Space from Tau Ceti, as I've explicitly illustrated earlier in this thread, is not THAT spectacular.  No bursting nebulae or pulsars or asteroid fields dancing around like collossal chocolate chips.  It looks exactly the same as every clear night on Earth from a rural location.

Well obviously it would be specific shit from NASA, not random....

6637bab0b6042Silver83

6637bab0b60a5
Why does everybody think nowadays that space has to look interesting. Nebulars, pulsars, colors....

Imo the black, endless space with a few white spots is far more frightening than our typical nebular of the week. Think of Alien (the first one). In space no one can hear you scream...perfect sentence for a black, cold and unfriendly place. Just my opinion though.

6637bab0b6344ZylonBane

6637bab0b63a5
Why does everybody think nowadays that space has to look interesting. Nebulars, pulsars, colors....
Nowadays?

6637bab0b647dvoodoo47

6637bab0b64d5
it actually does look quite interesting, but not in the light spectrum the naked eye is able to capture.
6637bab0b6699
Look at this for 30 sec then look at Van Gogh's "Starry Night" above

[starrynightlife.gif expired]

6637bab0b6770Silver83

6637bab0b67ca
Great every time!

Regarding "nowadays". Just compare old space movies like Alien, 2001, 2012, Star Wars IV-VI, Silent Running or old games like X-Wing, the first Wing Commanders with modern interpretations. I miss this cold, empty and "boring" style. (Yes, I know there are parts of our universe where there there's more going on but I hope you know what I mean)

6637bab0b68abZylonBane

6637bab0b68fa
The reason those movies did space as nothing more than twinkling lights on a black sheet is because that's all they had the means to realistically depict while moving spaceship models around in front of it. Technology has finally caught up with what the covers of scifi novels have been showing for decades.
6637bab0b6ab3
Restrictions spurn creativity though. In the old practical effects days you had to spend a lot of time and devotion on creating believable space that made the audience go "Whoaa! How did they do that?!". See for example near the end of this page, how the textures on the planets in Alien were created. Now any effect is possible and none leaves an impression anymore.
Freeing artists of their restrictions is the fastest way to get a load of crap. Therefore I demand that vurt repaints each
space texture in oil on canvas. And it should be the only way to pay for medicine for his ill mother. Also his roof should be leaking and he'll have to get by on coffee, cigarettes and absinthe. It's the only way to get real art in here, 'fraid pal.
6637bab0b6df3
The reason those movies did space as nothing more than twinkling lights on a black sheet is because that's all they had the means to realistically depict while moving spaceship models around in front of it. Technology has finally caught up with what the covers of scifi novels have been showing for decades.

Huh, what about the aeons years of astronomy?
6637bab0b701e
Well, the people who dedicated their life with their telescope aimed at the sky/space and religiously studying the subject could have given a fairly accurate depiction, no? Especially when that knowledge is accumulated through documentation.

6637bab0b70daZylonBane

6637bab0b7136
Oh, that must be why artists ceased to exist when photography was invented. How silly of me to have not realized that until just now when you pointed out that there's no reason for them to exist.
6637bab0b72bd
You're taking this out of context. I was simply saying an astronomer could and did give accurate depictions.

You say this as if Sci-Fi gave the accurate depictions way back when, not the astronomers. 
6637bab0b73e4
You may be misinterpreting the phrase "realistically depict". ZB is talking about believable movie props there. You're talking about scientific accurateness.
6637bab0b754c
I will stop posting. I'll be back when I am truly ready for intelligent discussion, or when I start development of SCP: Rain Man edition ;)

It appears I cannot read posts properly without my brain failing me. And no, I didn't misinterpret that particular phrase, I misinterpreted the whole fucking post :/

Whilst I may fail at the simple task of reading, it seems, that doesn't mean I am not a very good "design perfectionist". Try my mod if you havent lost all confidence in me....I wouldn't blame you if so. Sure, it's just common human error really, but that's the third time now, right? :(

Fucking facepalm.
« Last Edit: 04. August 2013, 17:12:56 by Join usss! »
6637bab0b7672
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
And I definitely wouldn't say "I will stop posting" in vain when ZB is around. Because he will remind you. haha

6637bab0b77ceremyabel

6637bab0b7838
I can't seem to get this mod to work. Fresh install with SSTool 5.1, I've tried this with ADaOB on and off. Other mods work fine, and I remember this working in the past, so I have no idea what I did wrong. I've attached what it looks like and the load order. As a side note, I've been trying to get the Earth textures to work as well. The only combination that seems to work is STATION.MIS with the space png + earth download (it displays the hi-res earth, but not the Vurt's hi res space pictures). The space png + earth download doesn't seem to work with ADaOB.
[low_res.png expired]
[load_order.png expired]

6637bab0b78e3voodoo47

Acknowledged by: remyabel

6637bab0b7c4bremyabel

6637bab0b7ca0
give it max priority.

Thanks. Can you explain why it needs max priority?

Edit: OK, after a while it occurred to me that my mod load order is in fact backwards, and this priority thing is still confusing me.
« Last Edit: 19. October 2014, 00:15:29 by remyabel »

6637bab0b7d58voodoo47

6637bab0b7db0
it needs more priority than SHTUP, which also contains a set of space textures. in your case, maximum.

as for the priority, just remember the prison rule - who is on top, is the boss.

6637bab0b7e74Jackson Richie

6637bab0b7ecc
I'm not sure if this mod will work on Windows 10. If anyone has their machine running windows 10 with this mod, please let me know in the comments if it's working for you and how to install it step by step.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the main villain of the System Shock series:
3 Guests are here.
Looking Glass didn’t just want to move the needle, they wanted to break the scale.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6637bab0b7feb