🔒 SS2 subtitles

1 Guest is here.
664886bf47ccc
MarvinQuote
You can disable the descriptions in cam.cfg with a simple switch so there's no need to delete them from the files, more is always better in this case.

Concerning the emails in general: I've taken a lot more liberty with them than with all the other barks or conversations. In all cases except The Many's one, the emails are almost 100% infodumps. I think that the player will care more about having the information displayed in the most concise and practical manner possible, so I've purposely stuck some sentences together which are separated by a pause if they provide correlated information and I've separated lines which come immediately after each other when they have different topics.
This is easy in Polito's case but Shodan makes so many long pauses, mostly due to stuttering and echo, that her subs are almost exclusively one line per sentence. Then come the Many: They mostly taunt (or horrify) the player, so their subs are more cutscene-like, separated whenever a pause happens, even mid-sentence. Example:

Code:
multisub EM0503 {
{ time 2300 length 4400 text "Misstrauen ist die Tyrannei des Individuums." }
{ time 7600 length 4150 text "Deine eigene Gattung betrachtet dich als eine Bedrohung." }
{ time 12350 length 3050 text "Warum ermordest du unsere Einheit?" }
{ time 15900 length 3700 text "Egal. Es ist nun alles klar." }
{ time 19850 length 2600 text "Du wirst nicht mehr weiterexistieren." }
{ time 22550 length 4700 text "Es ist nur die Frage, wer dich eliminieren wird:" }
{ time 28600 length 800 text "Wir." }
{ time 29580 length 500 text "Oder." }
{ time 30400 length 1500 text "Du?" }
}
The last three words could easily belong in one sub, but you'd completely miss the dramatic effect. So, to summarize: Polito has longer subs due to infodumps, Shodan has mostly one sub per sentence and the Many has (have?) the shortest subs. This is inconsistent by design but I think fitting the respective speech pattern of the character is more important than consistency in this case. But please engage in a discussion if you feel different.

Another little problem is the interlocking speech of The Many and Shodan. Right now, the subs start when the first word of a sentence is spoken and stops at the last word, no matter if the word comes from an echo and is repeated with larger volume later. Also, especially with The Many, this leads to subs still going when the next is already starting (echo of former sentence is still going on, pre-echo of latter sentence is already beginning). However, the subtitle engine is configured per default to let subs stay longer than defined anyway (subtitles_extra_time <time>, with time set to 3000), so you would only notice if you changed that variable to something very small.

Another thing where I'm stumped is capitalization. Example:

Code:
{ time 14800 length 1700 text "Verschwinde hier... " }
{ time 17000 length 5500 text "oder wir werden dich so verwunden, wie du uns verwundet hast." }
OR:

Code:
{ time 14800 length 1700 text "Verschwinde hier... " }
{ time 17000 length 5500 text "Oder wir werden dich so verwunden, wie du uns verwundet hast." }
(same with commata, but with commata it's clearer).

Last but not least: I don't know if I'll ever come around to subbing the logs, but here's a cleaned up version of Mooztik's file without timing. Works, but ugly.
664886bf47e45
MooztikQuote
You can disable the descriptions in cam.cfg
oh yes ! didn't pay attention about this option...

about the way you work on emails, i'm thinking the same way, and doing it like that too. like doing subs for a video. it's better for immersion.
664886bf47f17
MarvinQuote
Hey, ZB, do you have any new monster subtitles to be made available?
664886bf480b9
ZylonBaneQuote
Here is alpha snapshot 3. Now contains subs for all nonverbal AIs (assassins, eggs, worms, swarms, monkeys, rumblers, spiders, turrets, and cameras). They are terribly inconsistent, but that's how Irrational made them so we're stuck with it. Also usual various tweaks to other files.

EDIT: Attachment removed. See first post for current version.
664886bf48152
MarvinQuote
Great, thanks.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact