664b452f9db6b

664b452f9e0e0
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSR: System Shock Kickstarter
Page: « 1 [2] 3 ... 84 »
Read 124895 times  

664b452f9e9a5voodoo47

664b452f9ea0c
yeah, not too excited about that either.

//on second thought, they probably just decided to market it in a different way - they were going to rework pretty much everything anyway, so why not. it's not like they will be removing Shodan, Diego or the story and other stuff, so I'm actually not worried.

yet.
« Last Edit: 25. June 2016, 15:03:54 by voodoo47 »
Acknowledged by: Hikari
664b452f9ec54
Given Nightdive not only untangled Shock2's legal limbo but managed to get the trademarks to everything from EA I'd want as much of that documented as NDAs allow in the bonus material.

You don't go hounding after an insurance company and then EA themselves if you don't love he franchise at least a little. Sure Kick wants to make a lot of money and i don't blame him for it. However if it was just about money there are easier ways.

It isn't all roses, and hasn't been, but they've been playing what looks like fairly evenly with us so far. I"m going to have to swallow a lot of pride on this one but I'm going to try pitching in as i can... and I"m normally broke as hell so this is gonna be the one thing I spend on for the year that isn't a needed expense whether my computer can run it or not.

They're using an existing engine that is cross-OS capible, have an existing studio as well as industry veterans. This is as good a shot as it will ever have.

Time to roll the Dice.
Acknowledged by 2 members: krist2, icemann

664b452f9edaeicemann

664b452f9ee01
I plan on backing it + the System Shock 3 Kickstarters regardless. Willing to give it a go. Worst case scenario I hate it but meh. It's System Shock so I feel I should.
664b452f9ef5c
From the short article I don't get the impression that the story or other significant areas will be changed. But that the amount of resources put into it is more than just a remaster. As I understand remaster that's more of using the old engine but updating graphics and GUI and such. The new System Shock will use a totally new engine, and new art and everything. So the reboot is more of a PR statement I thinks, as voodoo47 said.
I have backed a lot of kickstarter projects from pc games to food. So will definitely back this :D
From what I've seen so far I really like the art that Robb Waters has made, really looking forward to trying the demo in two days :)

664b452f9f23bRocketMan

664b452f9f28f
Most of the stuff looks really good.  The drone looks amazing.  The enforcer's mecha-arm is grossly out of proportion however.

664b452f9f563Learonys

664b452f9f5b6
Most of the stuff looks really good.  The drone looks amazing.  The enforcer's mecha-arm is grossly out of proportion however.

I actually had a whole different impression of the Enforcer Cyborg from the original than what they showed here. I still remember finding one in an Interrogation room with a dead body next to it, so they must have some kind of intelligence and brutality to them the others didn't, to pull off these interrogations. After some daydreaming I came up with the idea that if it would be remade, it would have energy-shields around her robotic arm and use it to protect herself while trying to get close enough to you, pulling off all kinds of maneuvers and maybe even putting supressing fire on you until she's close enough to rip your limbs off. The kind of Cyborg which doesn't need to fire to be scary, basically.

Pssh... Hey NightDive, if you're reading this, it's not too late to implement this yet! Just saying!  :rolleyes:

664b452f9f7feJosiahJack

664b452f9f84f
Wait...that thing is a cyborg enforcer?

664b452f9f91dRocketMan

664b452f9f971
Apparently.  I can see the resemblance but where's the red body suit?  What happened to the feminine physique and why put a 500 lb robot arm that would normally spot weld a car body onto a 100lb woman?
664b452f9faa5
Yes, agree with your comments on the enforcer. Let's hope it get's toned down in the game..
Looks like a lobster at the moment..

Image: http://bildr.no/image/SW5IVW5v.jpeg
Acknowledged by: Hikari

664b452f9fba4JosiahJack

664b452f9fbf4
The "construction claw arm" is what gets me.  No no no...it's an enforcer, not some panel moving grunt.  She...it...isn't found near the construction zones such as on level 3 or 6.  The enforcer is a higher tiered high-powered enemy who hunts down the player like a SHODAN cop.  The claw is for apprehending meatbags.

Give the maintenance bot toe jacks built into its legs or make its pincher a little beefier if you feel the need to add to the lore of reconstructing the station.

664b452f9fca3icemann

664b452f9fd0c
Is that concept art pic what the intended new look is?

Man that's a departure. The original SS1 version looked BAD ASS. Kinda red ninja-ish. The new look, looks more like a construction unit.

664b452fa018cXKILLJOY98

664b452fa01e2
Did a quick scan of the threads before mentioning this, but could not find a mention.

System Shock Remastered Edition, will (according to this article on Kotaku) now be ditching the "Remastered Edition" bit in it's name and will now be called "System Shock".

Also, and here's the important bit - This will no longer be a remake of the first game and instead be a full reboot. So new story, etc etc.

I for one am not happy one bit at all about this. Why do a full reboot when you plan to do a sequel to the second game which obviously follows the original plot timeline? Seems kinda stupid.

It's still a remake and it's still the same story.

664b452fa0477XKILLJOY98

664b452fa04de
Says?

The devs and just by looking at it.

We know it's the same story, and since it was always intended as a remake, calling it a reboot doesn't change anything.
664b452fa0662
Since most people here seemed to agree that a few changes from the original here and there would be good, this shouldn't be a problem. I guess it's fine to call it a reboot if it's altering some elements and there are plans to kick off further development of the franchise. Just some bad associations with misguided reboots in the past that might make one worry for the game.
« Last Edit: 28. June 2016, 14:48:35 by fox »

664b452fa08ffThiefsieFool

664b452fa095a
I don't think you can set the title of a new work to the exact same title as the original work without calling the entire effort a "reboot", even if you don't plan on changing significant aspects of its story and so on, whether such changes will happen or not nobody knows as I doubt they have much of the game planned out yet

664b452fa0a81voodoo47

664b452fa0acf
if I had to guess, then by calling it a reboot instead of a remake, they are pretty much saying that they won't follow the original game as closely as originally intended, so we can expect some levels expanded, or cut down, or changed completely, maybe new enemies and npcs, added mechanics and other stuff that would not fit a "pure" remake. basically, they will do whatever they feel will make the final game better, which may, or may not backfire.

btw, watching a full Black Mesa (the original release) LP right now, and I have to say it's more of a reboot than a remake in this sense - backported characters and story elements from HL2, some areas close to original, but some retouched significantly, other ones changed completely, new mechanics from HL2 etc, but the general direction and the main story elements/plot remain. I'm guessing the final SS reboot will go in a very similar direction.
« Last Edit: 28. June 2016, 18:51:29 by voodoo47 »
Acknowledged by 2 members: Kolya, Hikari
664b452fa0bb9
Here's hoping System Shock doesn't take as long as Black Mesa to go from production to public release.

664b452fa0ca7Learonys

664b452fa0cf9
Their Steam page says: Holiday 2017.

I guess they're feeling confident enough to release the full game in a year? I was expecting it to be more in the direction of 2 years, but hey, who knows.
664b452fa10d5
Here's hoping System Shock doesn't take as long as Black Mesa to go from production to public release.
Black Mesa was a bunch of hobbyists. The guys on System Shock are people already in the industry for quite some time.

664b452fa13c4voodoo47

664b452fa1417
should I even try (the demo) with a HD 6850, 6GB of ram and an AMD dualcore?
664b452fa16b1
Pretty cool demo. Interesting choice with the pixelation up close, better than blurry textures perhaps  XD

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

In which year was System Shock released:
1 Guest is here.
Critically injured
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664b452fa17f6