SS2 special characters fonts

1 Guest is here.
6648d53f10310
luiggeQuote
Hello, do you have another metafont.bmp file because the one that you sent me are missing some characters  thanks
6648d53f104d8
voodoo47Quote
nope - if some character is missing, you will have to create it yourself.
6648d53f10908
MarvinQuote
Working on the German translation again. I must have been drunk while converting the older SHTUP ASCII fonts to OEM-850 because some of the characters are just wrong - which you mostly don't notice because they don't appear in the German version of the game.

Ahem, anyway: Based on the first post, SCP, and my own work, this is what I think we currently have, correct me if I'm wrong:
* modern SHTUP-iified fonts which are (extended) US-ASCII only
* SHTUP-iified fonts (circa 2013) for OEM-850, with some non-German or atypical characters being missing or wrong
* ISO-8859-1 fonts which have not been cleaned up properly and contain some actual characters in places where ISO-8859-1 is empty or would contain control characters if extended with ISO 6429 (or some rarely used characters if switching to windows-1252). Notably, Czech, Turkish and Hungarian support is lacking and the fonts have not been SHTUP-ified.
* Czech fonts by voodoo47 which I think use windows-1250 and were adapted from the ISO fonts (so not SHTUP-ified)
* Russian fonts (https://github.com/BroFox86/ss2-rus) which are completely custom using an unknown codepage and even a different character height/width. They're a bit broken in some instances (e.g. the circumflex "^" is displayed as-is instead of using the lightning bolt glyph) but fit a lot more text on screen without being illegible, which is rather neat.

Does someone have a secret stash of SHTUP-ified Latin1 fonts lying around? Would be cool to at some point have an easy to use, complete set of characters, e.g. Latin1+Latin2. UTF8 is out of the question unless a magic fairy would at some point implement TTF support in NewDark.
6648d53f10a48
voodoo47Quote
this is probably going to be useful, should prevent you from doing that I have done when working on the CZ fonts (and that is, constructing each letter pixel by pixel. that was.. not fun. also, I've made all the fonts sharp iirc, so if someone would want the smooth ones in a translation, then forking the CZ fonts is probably not a good idea). very sure they are not SHTUPified, but I'm not touching them again unless there is a Schwerer Gustav size gun pointed to my head.
6648d53f10bb6
ZylonBaneQuote
The current SHTUP small text fonts include only the same characters included in the original fonts. The encoding is CP850, except for ñ and Ñ being transposed. This error has been preserved in the SHTUP version in case any vanilla localizations rely on it.

ISO-8859-1 and Latin1 are the same thing. CP850 supposedly supports all the same alphabetical characters ISO-8859-1 does, so it seems like it would be easier to stick with CP850 than switching over to a different encoding.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact