SSR: System Shock Kickstarter

1 Guest is here.
◀◀Page: 101/400▶▶
664b8b9eb1224
JosiahJackQuote
Is anyone else bothered by the mutants being naked?  It's kinda disturbing. Seems like they are taking it from what would be rated T by todays standards up to an M rating.  I mean they are going for disturbing, but I think it's unnecessary. :lordy:
664b8b9eb13df
lgsQuote
All System Shock games are M rated.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles don't wear pants either, why did no one brought this disturbing fact up yet.
664b8b9eb1669
icemannQuote
I just wish that Night Dive would comment on the cyberpunk style/look/aesthetic/plot.

All I hear from them currently is "We love System Shock 2. We think the original should have been more like it, and wasn't that great of a game compared to the sequel." Obviously that's not direct quoting, but I do recall someone from them saying something to that effect during the KS campaign.

Beyond that, if we start getting updates more often, and not just every 2-3 months and they actually friggin talk about what's actually going on with development, rather than just giving us concept art then I'm happy (for now). For me, I think they should have stuck with the Unity engine. It cost them a fair chunk of time switching over which may bite them in the ass later on. After which you'll be reading "In hindsight we really should have stuck with the Unity engine and listened to the fans more, rather than stubbornly going with our view on what the original should have been vs what the public wanted".

If you look at other failed sequels (eg Duke Nukem Forever, the FPS incarnation of XCOM from take 2 etc) and reboots. What killed them? Game engine changes. How many engine changes did DnF go through before we eventually got it? How many times was Starcraft - Ghost redone before it was cancelled?
664b8b9eb1bb3
ThiefsieFoolQuote

Quote by ZylonBane:
I was thinking it looks like they have too much budget, since they're burning dev time on silly pointless things like a dismemberment system.

It's actually just a quick filler for the video, Unreal Engine 3 and 4 both have native support for breaking apart a skeletal mesh with the Bone Break and Break Constraint functions, you don't need to do anything amazing beyond that to have dismembering https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/BlueprintAPI/Components/SkeletalMesh/BreakConstraint/index.html
664b8b9eb204e
MyagiQuote

Quote by JosiahJack:
NDS: Look we made a demo!
Fans: Cool!  Maybe a little close to the original, but hits nostalgic sweet spots!
NDS: Nah, we don't like Unity.  We're changing engines.

What personally really rubs me the wrong way during these events, is the bait-and-switch that went down. It doesn't even matter if I like the new look or not.

There was a playable prototype that defined the basic aesthetics of what was being "sold"*. The KS text literally says

This demo represents the look and feel that we want to achieve with the final version we'll deliver to you, our backers.

(* pedants that want nitpick that the KS project isn't selling a product can put a sock in it :P )

Sure the following line is a disclaimer that

Please be aware, this is a proof of concept; the PERFORMANCE, FEATURES, and VISUALS are subject to change

but you have to be able to take a KS in good faith, not treat it as a legal document where some lawyer is trying to weasel in loopholes. So if the demo is "the look and feel that we want to achieve with the final version we'll deliver to you", what is reasonable for the disclaimer to mean is that some tweaks an adjustments may happen, but not that it will turn into something that has 0 semblance of what they, by their own words, wanted to achieve.
Acknowledged by 2 members: ThiefsieFool, Join usss!
◀◀Page: 101/400▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact