664a1803b2819

664a1803b2e19
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 GOC: Bundling Mods Read 768 times  

664a1803b326a
I'd like to bundle mods with the release to get the desired effect on each level etc.

I have numerous mods installed, and I believe I can bundle them to only be in effect when the FM is played using the built in FM manager?

Questions - Would this be frowned upon? I plan on seeking permission from the authors directly, and I would of course fully credit the authors of the mods, link to their pages \ threads here, and include them in the thanks.

I see this as being easier than requiring users to download each one individually. Maybe we need an easier way to obtain modifications, kind of like what Fallout Nexus has with a program to download \ install the mod for you? If this could become a reality, then maybe I could just include a file like reqmods.cfg with the mods required for the FM? If bandwidth and file hosting is an issue, I'd gladly offer up a mirror for any SS2 mods that are "officially" recognized. (Officially as in developed, popular, and in demand)

Bouncing things around here, I don't want to develop too far without having these bases covered.
664a1803b3686
Apart from the permission issue (I'm sure you won't have trouble with that), I think it's just a plain bad idea. If you don't apply mods to your FM, it's up to the user to decide whether he want's to play it wiith graphic upgrades or not which in my opinion is always the best way to go. For a similar reason, no one here has ever tried to produce some kind of megamod.
664a1803b383d
Unless the mission requires a modification to be playable I too would leave it to the judgement of the user whether he wants the eye candy on top or not. It's also foresightful since those other mods may get updated.

664a1803b39c0Nameless Voice

664a1803b3a11
It's a hard one to call.
Over on the Thief side of things, the consensus is generally to include any custom content you use / want, so that your FM looks exactly how you designed it, and not to rely on the users having the necessary mods (e.g. the Thief EP).

Yes, of course that can lead to problems if the resource mods get updated, but at worst you'll end up with old versions of the assets that look exactly as they did when you designed the mission.

The best way is to avoid such issues altogether by using 100% custom content for everything important in your mission. :)
664a1803b3ba4
I think I will solve this with the FM installer. I will have it grab the latest versions (maintained on the goc website when I throw it together) and install them if the user wants. The mods that are absolutely required for the game to work will be installed no matter what the user selects. These will be installed with the FM though so that they do not interfere with the vanilla game.

I'll get something figured out with it soon, but I guess I can see where people would like to play the game "how it was meant to be played" or something along those lines o_O.
1 Guest is here.
My mom likes the cute animals while my dad can't get enough of auto racing.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a1803b3cb3