663a5e021cad1

663a5e021d11a
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Outline for a new mod manager
Page: « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Read 9508 times  

663a5e021d92f
That's a whole different can of worms for several reasons. I'd be superhappy if we just had a good modmanager.
663a5e021dbfe
Why? If you built in a functionality that can edit a file, read predefined strings and change them, expanding it to another file with other strings should be relatively easy.

663a5e021df0dZylonBane

663a5e021df6e
Why? If you built in a functionality that can edit a file, read predefined strings and change them, expanding it to another file with other strings should be relatively easy.
You haven't done much actual programming, have you.
663a5e021e075
I have, thank you for your consideration.

663a5e021e2b1ZylonBane

663a5e021e302
I have, thank you for your consideration.
Then that makes your statement even more inexplicable. The most difficult part of both a mod manager and a configurator is constructing a user-friendly GUI, and these two GUIs would have practically nothing in common.
663a5e021e41b
Based on Olfred's design, yes, you are correct, but you could do without fancy sliders and layered checkbox lists. Besides, that depends on the programmer and on the framework, doesn't it? I once worked with someone on a physics related project who coded a GUI like that in a few hours in Java and he's not even some sort of super genius.
663a5e021e52d
My experience tells me that it's better not to jump at someone who has volunteered to do one thing with the next big idea before he has even finished the first. It also tells me that you want to keep such projects separate, because that allows for splitting work and makes later maintenance easier.
663a5e021e62c
You make it look like I was forcing Zeebok at gunpoint to abandon the current MM development and focus on another project instead. I think he'll be more than fine with or without people speculating about future work. ;-)
« Last Edit: 01. March 2013, 09:13:33 by Marvin »
663a5e021e755
Nah, I didn't mean that. Maybe it's just a personal itch, something I learned at work.

Features for the modmanager that would be nice to have:
- ability to save/load mod scenarios
- possibly for the next version: conflict checking with list of conflicting files (While no files will get overwritten anymore, there will still be files that get disabled.)

663a5e021e850Simplex

663a5e021e8a3
Yeah, a GUI/Frontend for the config variables would be cool - as a separate project, as it has nothing to do with mods.
663a5e021ebee
Ah, I didn't wanted to jump anyone with my idea. This idea just popped up in my head and I thought it would be nice to have everything in one tool instead of having several tools.
I agree that having a working mod manager is much more important than having a tool for setting which can be done rather easily yourself. But having a GUI would be alot more friendly for inexperienced people.

I just putted it here so in case Zeebok likes this idea and maybe he wants to go on after he finished the modmanager, he can already take it into consideration when creating the GUI.
Sometimes it can be a pain in the ass to modify a GUI afterwards so I didn't wanted to wait for it.

663a5e021ece2Simplex

663a5e021ed32
This can also be a separate tool made by a separate person. While I know next to nothing about programming,  I think that such program should not be difficult to create - the biggest problem would by with getting together all the variables and all correct parameters for these variables (and ideally a description of what they do) - luckily most of the parameters are described in file new_config_vars.txt included in The New Dark archive.
« Last Edit: 01. March 2013, 18:11:05 by Simplex »
663a5e021ee2a
That would certainly be a nifty feature set. Like that gnome window theme btw (Fedora?) ;D
663a5e021efcf
Actually I use Pencil Project to "sketch up" GUIs.
From the free tools available this is the one I liked the best.
Even though you can load new "stencils" in there I just took the ones which came with it, and for desktop applications there is only this design and the windows xp one, and that one is ugly as hell :D

btw, I'm on Windows ;)

663a5e021f151Simplex

663a5e021f19e
There are dozens of similar programs that could serve as inspiration - perhaps one of them is open source and could be utilized?
The programs i know about:

Crysis 2 Config Generator - I think it has a realy nice and clean GUI:
Image: http://i5.minus.com/ik1xHa.jpg

Crysis 2 Advanced Graphics Options:
Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gAxUJWOgdEo/UHs9MUomVAI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/Aivz4V2_X04/s1600/Crysis2AdvancedGraphicsOptionsVerison2_0_1_Screenshot.png

Borderlands Configuration Editor:
Image: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3949/borderlandsadvancedsett.jpg

And probably dozens more.

And perhaps the discussion about the GUI/Frontend could be split from this topic into a separate one.
« Last Edit: 01. March 2013, 21:02:49 by Simplex »
663a5e021f2a4
Ahhh nifty looking program. I certainly don't mind looking into making a configuration manager after I get the mod managing dealt with. I love having little programming projects to distract me from work or my larger personal projects.

663a5e021f389Simplex

663a5e021f3d7
I was so bold as to create a separate topic for the configurator, so that this topic is focused solely on ModManager:
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4604
663a5e021f4ea
Good to see things kicking off.  My own development (.NET based) has been interrupted by real life and a complete re-install of my machine after a bunch of upgrades.  I'll possibly plug away at it regardless.
663a5e021f609
Still working on it, now that I have a little more free time. Got to point with Wx that made me check out Qt; have to say I am liking Qt a little more. Good chance I am going to switch over fully to it based on how tonight goes with my tests with it. Github repo with reflect what ever happens. Figured I'd let people know that I am haven't forgotten about it.
663a5e021f70f
Thanks, I was asking myself if this was still going on. Good to hear it is. :)
Since SS2Tool 5.1 mod loading from the Data*Mods folders is done via the "mod_path" variable in cam_mod.ini.
663a5e021f7f6
Do we know yet if there is a hard limit on the length that mod_path can be?

663a5e021fa65voodoo47

663a5e021fab5
Quote by cam_mod.ini:
; the max path count is 63 for "uber_mod_path" and "mod_path" combined
; (avoid an excessive amount of paths, it can make file handling slower)
« Last Edit: 05. April 2013, 18:48:54 by voodoo47 »

663a5e021fb6eZylonBane

663a5e021fbbf
This is why I'm not personally a fan of the multiple mod path approach. It trades off speed of mod configuration for consistently slower load times, since every resource request has to trawl through every. single. directory. that's. listed.
Acknowledged by: Marvin
663a5e021fcd0
You may want to upgrade to 2.42, voodoo. Because that is not what I read in cam_mod.ini (max path count is 63).
The number of mods will usually be much lower and modern systems will hardly have a problem with load times. In fact SS2 levels loads way faster today than they did back in the day.
1 Guest is here.
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663a5e021fe09